Berkeley or Chicago Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mca39

New

Berkeley or Chicago

Post by mca39 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:03 pm

These are my two top options and choices for now (waiting on Y and S though not hopeful)

Berkeley - $$

Chicago- Waiting on aid, not expecting much if any though I will try to negotiate

---

I'm most interested in practicing at a more boutique firm that focuses on IP/new tech/media, but would consider big law if I felt it was the right fit. I do hope to clerk first.

I'm not overly geographically sensitive but would probably prefer to ultimately come back to California or practice in an American office abroad - I am open to Asia, Europe, Africa, Latin America. I have significant international work/business experience already.

My long term goal, however, is to go into academia. I have a strong pedigree and am open to getting a PhD (something I've previously considered outside of potential a career in law). I realize it's always a long shot, but I'm leaning toward Chicago primarily for this reason.

Regarding debt, it is not a significant consideration as I am an older student who waited until I was financially stable and ready to attend law school.

I welcome any thoughts or feedback. Thanks in advance.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Berkeley or Chicago

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:07 pm

mca39 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:03 pm
I'm most interested in practicing at a more boutique firm that focuses on IP/new tech/media, but would consider big law if I felt it was the right fit. I do hope to clerk first.
Do you have an actual firm in mind? Because this sounds pretty unicorny. If you do have specific roles in mind, maybe look at the CVs of people in them to see where they went to school.

Chicago is indeed stronger for clerking/academia but I wouldn't pay too much extra to go there given your preference for California.

antelope

New

Post by antelope » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:15 pm

Being near Palo Alto's ideal for your tech goals. Are you trying to pursue patent work?

Berkeley should make it easier to network/find work within the Bay Area which should fit career goals. However, UChicago would be a better choice for academia, and your work opportunities would be really good, too.

I think it'd come down to COA and how comfortable you're with moving to each location.

mca39

New

Post by mca39 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Thank you both.

If I were to go the BL route, which would be better in terms of international reputation? I'm probably more interested in working in an Asian office like Tokyo, HK, Ho Chi Minh or Singapore, but also would go (back to, in my case) London, Paris or Johannesburg.

Berkeley seems excellent in Asia in terms of reputation but I feel like Chicago is, overall, the better intellectual fit for me.

monzeeno

New

Post by monzeeno » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:17 am

NGL, Berkeley has a much better global reputation than Chi. If you are going for biglaw, it probably won’t matter where you go, hence you should go with whichever offers you more money. But if going for academia in the US, definitely Chi.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tlsguy2020

New

Post by tlsguy2020 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:03 am

mca39 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:50 pm
I'm probably more interested in working in an Asian office like Tokyo, HK, Ho Chi Minh or Singapore, but also would go (back to, in my case) London, Paris or Johannesburg.
Both Berkeley and Chicago do equally well in Ho Chi Minh City and Johannesburg biglaw

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:57 am

I would take Cal in your situation. For your biglaw international goals they are essentially the same. And perhaps Cal has better stuff for IP etc just due to proximity.
As for academia, if you are going to pursue a PhD, I think Cal is a fine choice. If you aren't I guess Chi. But honestly, I wouldn't bet on legal academia at all- going to Chi increases your chance from slim to marginally better than slim... A lot will depend on you, your experiences, what you publish etc.
and you can become an adjunct anyways if you just enjoy teaching from either school.
I think Cal fits your needs nicely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”