Yale or Ruby - Transferring Back To Canada Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cookiemonsterok

New

Yale or Ruby - Transferring Back To Canada

Post by cookiemonsterok » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:53 pm

Hi I'm a Canadian interested in Corporate Law. I plan on studying in the US and working down there for a bit then eventually coming back to Canada. Does the name of Yale matter in this case for portability or is Ruby still a better bet?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Yale or Ruby - Transferring Back To Canada

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:03 am

Not a real issue unless you are receiving significant need based financial aid from Yale Law School.

What would be your COA for YLS ?

cookiemonsterok

New

Post by cookiemonsterok » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:24 am

CanadianWolf wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:03 am
Not a real issue unless you are receiving significant need based financial aid from Yale Law School.

What would be your COA for YLS ?
They are giving me about 25k in aid first year. I’m hoping to do in-house/firm work for all my summers though, so I think that aid will be reduced a lot if I do get those positions. Will my Chicago degree be just as portable as a Yale one? Does portability really matter in the Corporate world or is it just what you’ve done and who you know?

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:54 am

What will matter on your return to Canada will be what firm you are coming from and what type of work experience you have in what practice group. The good news is that there are a ton of US firms that will check the box for sophisticated work ezperience for returning to Canada.

I can also tell you this path with be a PITA, because Canadian firms pay a fraction of what their U.S. counterparts pay, not even in the same ballpark. Getting barred in Ontario from a U.S. law school is a PITA. What will likely happen is that you will end up doing what most Canadians seem to do, which is stay in the U.S raking in cash much longer than planned.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:54 am

Portability matters, but a Chicago law degree is as portable as a Yale law degree especially with respect to corporate law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:02 am

I would personally choose the Ruby; especially with your goals. I would've strongly considered Y though if I had aspirations of becoming professor or justice or that UN human rights lawyer everyone talks bout (unicorn type jobs- though these aren't impossible from uchi or c). You can't go wrong with either choice though. Not many folks are in your position- even on these forums, hah. Congrats, best of luck!

cookiemonsterok

New

Post by cookiemonsterok » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:12 am

Thank you all for your responses, Chicago it is!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:13 pm

Wubbles wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:54 am
I can also tell you this path with be a PITA, because Canadian firms pay a fraction of what their U.S. counterparts pay, not even in the same ballpark. Getting barred in Ontario from a U.S. law school is a PITA. What will likely happen is that you will end up doing what most Canadians seem to do, which is stay in the U.S raking in cash much longer than planned.
This. You're basically just grinding until you hit whatever net-worth number allows you to retire to a house in Brampton or whatever, with a second home in Florida. It's the Canadian way. Actually trying to practice law in Canada is a huge waste of time IMO and if you really want to do that then you should go to UToronto

cookiemonsterok

New

Post by cookiemonsterok » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:21 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:13 pm
Wubbles wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:54 am
This. You're basically just grinding until you hit whatever net-worth number allows you to retire to a house in Brampton or whatever, with a second home in Florida. It's the Canadian way. Actually trying to practice law in Canada is a huge waste of time IMO and if you really want to do that then you should go to UToronto
Wow Brampton haha! Very local reference, but yeah the GTA's the end goal so that I can be back with family. Makes sense then, thank you for your advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”