Help me choose between BU, Northeastern, and CUNY Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
optimisty

New

Help me choose between BU, Northeastern, and CUNY

Post by optimisty » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:40 pm

Hello folks,

I'm writing to ask for your advice, perspectives, and opinions about the titular schools.

Before anyone comes in signing the praises of YHS to the high heavens, please know that I'm perfectly happy with any of the 3 I am considering. I was a splitter candidate. My LSAT is 170, my undergrad GPA is somewhere just south of 3.2. I've matured a lot since my undergrad years and I think the merits of my work will be what opens any future doors. The T14 is not in the cards for me and that's fine. Financially, I'm not worried about debt. I come from fortunate circumstances.

Context about my goals:

I know 100% that I want to pursue public interest law. I graduated in 2015 and have the work and life experience to back my claim up. I'm a bit prestige averse and I'm most interested in direct representation and litigation. In terms of legal fields, I think criminal and juvenile law are the types of clinics and experiences I will target first but I am eager to expand my horizons and pursue broader opportunities.

Geographically, I am happy to study and work in the Northeast. I've lived in Boston for 8 years and if my career took me somewhere else, that would be exciting but not necessary or something I am particularly aiming for. I don't want to go to D.C.

My current opinion of each school (schools listed alphabetically and not in order of preference):

Boston University:
BU has the advantage of relative class rankings, more resources, and the quality of professors that attracts. My sense is that a BU degree and their network would provide the most flexibility geographically and in terms of more traditional legal careers. I have some concerns that the ethos of the school would be more geared toward the traditional but I've met with students in their public interest community and past alums who have extremely positive things to say about their experiences finding P.I. guidance and building a support network.

CUNY NY
This is such a unique school. I grew up near NYC. I like NYC. I'm sure I'd have to go through an adjustment period if I actually move to Queens but I'd adapt.

Academically, the CUNY professors and the administration really seem to live and breath the values they espouse. I know the first year course information is relatively standard but at CUNY I would be learning from people whose perspectives are grounded in P.I. work. I have some concerns about what the school culture is like. I consider myself an advocate willing to engage in good faith discussion but I get annoyed with militant and overly disruptive activists. I envy them their certainty and I admire anyone who sees a wrong and puts themselves on the line to try and fix it. I just worry about the exhaustion that would come with navigating that environment 24/7.

Northeastern
NUSL seems like a bit of an in-between. It has a great PI program. The Coop program is a unique advantage where I can pursue real experiences and make career defining connections. It has all the fervor (both good and bad) of the activist student culture but a healthy representation of more traditionally minded students. If I was 100% sure I wanted to stay in Boston, NUSL seems to really punch above its weight class.

But despite what I said about being happy to stay in New England, I have reservations about spending too much of my life in Boston. At BU, the degree carries weight a bit further. At NUSL, I am worrying that I might be over specializing to just this city. Its great! No complaints. But I know leaving Boston is only going to get harder if I ever want to transition from a student in my late 20s to a community member with a family in my mid to late 30s.

Conclusion
Thanks for reading this. Writing essay like this is how I self reflect. If you have any advice to offer, things you think I should consider, or have affirmations you want to send my way I appreciate it.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Help me choose between BU, Northeastern, and CUNY

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:20 pm

It is fantastic you want to do PI and money isn't a huge issue, but I still think money ought to be a factor, to an extent.
I think you've hit the nail on the head re Northeastern and CUNY- those are really relegating you to those areas. I personally would rather make a PI salary and live in Boston where I think Northeastern has a stronger placement than CUNY does respectively in New York. But, you're right, it isn't as if a lot of Northeastern grads are going to NYC or CUNY grads heading to Beantown.
I will say, BU certainly has more portability, but not a monstrous amount either. It may place in the Northeast, but I don't think it is really sending grads to Philly? It is still very much a regional school.
If my options were sticker at BU vs. fully scholarship at NE, and I knew I wanted to be in Boston and do PI, I'd take NE in a heartbeat. The reason I use price somewhat is because, the money you save by taking the scholarship, you can use towards a down payment on a house, investments, or even charity. And, honestly, unless you're going for like the ACLU, most PI gigs really care about dedication, they won't care too much about the difference between NE or BU; and if they are the type of place that really cares, BU doesn't make the cut really (you'd need to go to a T14).
It sounds like you want to be in NYC though over Boston, did you apply to the other schools in NYC?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:29 pm

I’m going to take you at your word that money’s not an issue, but I have to imagine you have some aid at CUNY and NE, and that’s still worth considering (although if you’re that all in on PI, PSLF is also very realistic - I know there are periodic rumors about ditching it but it hasn’t happened yet).

I think you can eliminate Northeastern. I think it does have a strong network in the Boston area and for the kind of work you want pedigree isn’t as important as commitment/experience/connections, but I think if you stay in Boston, BU opens more doors, and is somewhat less likely to pigeonhole you to the region.

I would tend to go with BU over CUNY, but mostly because I think it will have more resources overall. I think CUNY is a legit option for someone who’s really committed to public service - and I think it’s hard to speculate about culture without actually experiencing it yourself, in part because so much depends on the people actually in your class. But I feel like CUNY is a bit more risky.

That said, I would imagine CUNY is way cheaper. It’s not indefensible for public service work, but I’d still lean towards BU. (I’m also going to take you at your word about your interest in PI, but FWIW, BU will likely offer more opportunities should your interests somehow magically change.)

CalF123

New

Post by CalF123 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:59 am

I wouldn’t be thrilled about attending any of these schools at sticker. Having said that, BU is a good school and would definitely be my choice from this list.

CUNY is decent for PI in NY but not for much (anything) else. Northeastern may place to an extent at Boston midlaw (and possibly top 5% to biglaw). But it is not a school that will give you good prospects overall.

BU is a good all rounder that will give you decent PI placement but also a decent chance of Boston biglaw and some portability elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”