USC $$ vs. the T14 at sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UClaw20

New

USC $$ vs. the T14 at sticker

Post by UClaw20 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:13 pm

Currently looking like my choice will come down to USC Gould at a total COA of around ~$130k, expecting very little if any money from Berkeley, Duke, and Northwestern, and if I were to choose from these it would be Berkeley (in state tuition + CA goals). There is a caveat to my situation: my SO will be going to an MD medical school in Southern California and if I were to go to USC, we would live together (not only making me happier of course, but also being a lot more affordable splitting all living expenses together).

Where I worry about USC is with my goals. I have always wanted LA/OC/SD biglaw (likely LA), but also would really like to try for a federal clerkship and potentially go into BigFed down the road (DOJ or some other agency, probably in DC since I did a quick stint there at a cabinet-level agency). In a unicorn world that I don't personally think anyone can ever count on achieving, I would not rule out something like the WH Counsel's office or the bench, but I recognize these are quite far down the road, and not something one can really count on. I know these things are not completely out of the question with USC, but it does definitely become significantly more difficult, thinking it may be worth it for the price though.

I should also add that I'm currently on the UCLA waitlist and if I got in and it was cheaper than USC, that would be my primary LA area consideration, although from what I can determine I prefer Gould's culture a lot more. I am not necessarily debt averse, my partner and I could swing a Berkeley/socal LDR if necessary, and I do not have any undergraduate debt. Getting money at one of the T14 would change my decision-making process significantly, but again not really expecting that. Looking forward to hearing your responses.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: USC $$ vs. the T14 at sticker

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:05 pm

I think Cal or USC are the right choices for your situation.
I learn towards Cal given your goals.
USC places well, but it isn't a guarantee of biglaw like Cal.
Cal also does better in clerkships/higher prestige stuff (at least, I think they do).
I still think 130k debt is a lot for USC, albeit, I actually would feel comfortable with this level of debt from USC (I'd feel more cozy closer to 100k, but what can ya do). At 130k debt, you'll need something like biglaw to pay off the loans. My guess is at Berk you'll be sitting around 250k, which is insane, but you have basically a lock on biglaw, which is needed to pay off those loans regardless.
I think USC is totally justifiable in your situation given your partner and SoCal goals as well. I would personally just be more comfortable with Cal. I think most of your goals at USC are possible, but I always am of the mind one will get median (or should bet that way). I went to school on close to a full scholly, anticipating that I'd be top of the class and essentially get the same outcome of the higher ranked school. I ended up median.
As a median student, I'd like my situation a heck of a lot better at Cal than USC.
I think there is something to be said though about personal happiness. If you hate NorCal, know you want to be in SoCal, and with the caveat of your partner, going to USC ain't too shabby, and you're meeting folks in the market you want to work already.
Sorry this isn't more helpful. I think either is a solid choice though.

Almost Aristotle

New

Post by Almost Aristotle » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:30 am

That's an interesting problem. Looks like you're putting those analytical skills to work before you read your first assigned case...

Just remember one thing: that "in-state tuition" at Berkeley would save you less than $3000 a year. However, mentioning it could really impress people who haven't paid any attention to educational finances for the last 30 years, if that's important to you.

If I were you, I'd choose USC, because I suspect you'd be happier and more productive. Also, other students have been maneuvering for years to get in line for those unicorn jobs coming out of Berkeley. Any clerkships, etc. may not be as realistic as you'd prefer them to be.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:58 am

Almost Aristotle wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:30 am
Also, other students have been maneuvering for years to get in line for those unicorn jobs coming out of Berkeley. Any clerkships, etc. may not be as realistic as you'd prefer them to be.
Are you suggesting they’d be better off at USC for getting these jobs because the students at Berkeley are more impressive? I don’t understand this.

UClaw20

New

Post by UClaw20 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:12 pm

Almost Aristotle wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:30 am
That's an interesting problem. Looks like you're putting those analytical skills to work before you read your first assigned case...

Just remember one thing: that "in-state tuition" at Berkeley would save you less than $3000 a year. However, mentioning it could really impress people who haven't paid any attention to educational finances for the last 30 years, if that's important to you.

If I were you, I'd choose USC, because I suspect you'd be happier and more productive. Also, other students have been maneuvering for years to get in line for those unicorn jobs coming out of Berkeley. Any clerkships, etc. may not be as realistic as you'd prefer them to be.
Thanks for your perspective. Re: in-state tuition, you are correct in that it saves 3k/year vs. OOS at Berkeley, but I'm thinking more relative to other schools (Duke 67k, NU 66k, USC 67k) where it quickly becomes closer to 15k/year. I also think I'd be happier and more productive at USC, managing a LDR can be a lot of work, but still thinking about it.

Also not quite sure what you're saying with the unicorn jobs at Berkeley. Is it that they're out of reach at both USC and Berk so it doesn't matter much between those schools with regard to those positions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UClaw20

New

Post by UClaw20 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:00 pm

Bump. Would love some more input on this and it seems quite a few posts have gained some traction recently.

Update on the T14s: about $+ from Berkeley and Duke, $0 at Northwestern but trying to negotiate it, and I was unable to push USC up from $$.5. Would prefer biglaw>being in LA and would like to do a federal clerkship.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:05 pm

Maybe don’t go to law school with those options? Sticker is so much money. It will take years of biglaw (a challenging and often dreadful job) to pay sticker back.

UClaw20

New

Post by UClaw20 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:40 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:05 pm
Maybe don’t go to law school with those options? Sticker is so much money. It will take years of biglaw (a challenging and often dreadful job) to pay sticker back.
Uh, thanks I guess. My update provided that one of only 4 schools in question is truly at sticker (and because of that, is basically last in consideration). I've now received over a quarter of COA from both Berkeley and Duke since making this post, hence the update, and based on my personal situation would probably graduate from USC with below 100k of debt. I should mention I do not have undergraduate debt either. I appreciate your input.

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:43 pm

Berkeley all the way. Looks like your decision was made easy for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DebtPrisoner

New

Post by DebtPrisoner » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:44 am

With your SO doing an MD, you want to think about what will be the most portable. When your SO matches residency, that's where you will be for some time. So you need to be able to go where SO goes. Berkeley will do this better than USC. If you go to Berkeley, you can summer in LA, live with your SO, and find a UCLA/USC law student summering in the bay to sublet (there will be many).

UClaw20

New

Post by UClaw20 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:59 pm

DebtPrisoner wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:44 am
With your SO doing an MD, you want to think about what will be the most portable. When your SO matches residency, that's where you will be for some time. So you need to be able to go where SO goes. Berkeley will do this better than USC. If you go to Berkeley, you can summer in LA, live with your SO, and find a UCLA/USC law student summering in the bay to sublet (there will be many).
This is more where I have been leaning recently, thank you. I basically view it like this: sure we may be able to live together for the few years of law/med school, but once the SO matches into a residency program if I can't follow it will be all for nothing anyway. A more portable T14 degree will mitigate this issue quite a bit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”