Which schools are suitable for UBE prep? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
natadekoko

New

Which schools are suitable for UBE prep?

Post by natadekoko » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:27 pm

I am trying to find online schools which prepares me to take UBE. Currently I am based in California, but I might go back to Japan or somewhere else in the near future, so I just want to pass exam in relatively easier State, so that I can claim that I got the lawyer license somewhere in the States.

Online schools in CA seems to prepare you only for CA State exam.

Your advice would be appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: Which schools are suitable for UBE prep?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:06 pm

1. Are you a lawyer licensed to practice in Japan?

2. Are you eligible to sit for the bar in any UBE state? It sounds like you haven't gone to law school at all, and almost every jurisdiction requires that you have a JD or LLM to sit for the exam.

nixy

Gold

Re: Which schools are suitable for UBE prep?

Post by nixy » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:45 pm

Online schools in California aren't accredited by the American Bar Association, they're only accredited by the state. So they're only allowed to prepare people for the California state exam; people who get their degrees from those schools aren't allowed to sit for any other state's exam (or the UBE). I think you can pass the bar in California and then (maybe after a certain number of years in practice?) you can take the bar exam elsewhere, but you can't just transfer to another state bar/the UBE, so this doesn't really help with what you want to do.

You'd need to find an ABA-approved online school, and I think the only ones out there are hybrid programs with at least some residence requirements (like you have to travel to the school for in-person programming at least some minimum number of times during the degree). No idea if this is a reliable site, but there is a list of the current programs here. https://www.nitrocollege.com/blog/onlin ... online-law

Return to “Choosing a Law School”