T30 with $$$$ vs T20 with nothing Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ALCA1920

New

T30 with $$$$ vs T20 with nothing

Post by ALCA1920 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:05 pm

The T30 is in a region where I want to practice, I have a full-tuition scholarship to that school, and cost of living there is cheap (and my parents will help me with some of the COL if I go there). I wanted biglaw going into this application cycle, and now I'm having second thoughts after hearing people talk about their experiences with large firms. I wouldn't want to be obligated to work in biglaw for the sole purpose of servicing my loans.

On the other hand, a lot of people emphasize how prestigious schools tend to open a lot of doors for their students. I still have the option of EDing to a T14 or a T20 and having a reasonable chance of getting in, but my gut tells me it's not a good idea. Are the extra opportunities coming out of those schools really worth the 250k+ price tag?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: T30 with $$$$ vs T20 with nothing

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:30 pm

This is a really tough question. I was in this boat a few years ago and chose the T1 with the $$$. I sometimes regret taking it (dreams of grandeur of being a fed judge or doing super niche subjects at a high level- things very few folks even from the T14 get), but I don't think my outcome would've been much different compared to what it is. If you are biglaw or bust, I'd probs ED to a T13. I don't think Vandy or UCLA or WashU are worth 250k+ more compared to Emory or W&L or BC. Plus, being bottom half at WashU and graduating with that level of debt is crushing. Sure, going to WashU adds 10-20% higher chance of getting biglaw compared to the others, but you could just as easily strike out there. Moreover, there's no way to predict how well you'll do in law school. The T20 doesn't have the same options for an individual below median as the T13/14 does. A below median student at WashU probs is in a comparable boat as the below median student at BC (I'm sure this is up for debate, but I think they'd be fairly comparable).
I personally would take the T1 on scholarship (which I did). My outcome was really great given my debt level etc.; but don't expect biglaw by any means (only the top of the class at my school- basically LR folks, were able to get it).
If you were sold on biglaw money, at this were between a T13 school and a T1 full ride, I'd possibly change my answer. But given your circumstances, I'd stick with the T1.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:44 pm

ALCA1920 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:05 pm
The T30 is in a region where I want to practice, I have a full-tuition scholarship to that school, and cost of living there is cheap (and my parents will help me with some of the COL if I go there). I wanted biglaw going into this application cycle, and now I'm having second thoughts after hearing people talk about their experiences with large firms.
Sounds like a no-brainer to me. It's not like a T20 puts you in an amazing spot for biglaw in your target region. Would be tougher if the other school was Harvard or whatever.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:51 pm

ALCA1920 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:05 pm
The T30 is in a region where I want to practice, I have a full-tuition scholarship to that school, and cost of living there is cheap (and my parents will help me with some of the COL if I go there).
The lower ranked school all day long. T20 is an arbitrary distinction that doesn't come with the same employment boost that the truly elite (T6, arguably T14) provide. Once you're in the 20-30 range, the schools are pretty darn similar. As long as you'd be happy practicing in the T30 market, I think this is a no-brainer.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:39 am

I'd lean towards the full ride. The situation might be different if we were talking about a more highly ranked school (i.e. HYSCCN), but there really aren't T20s that are worth borrowing $200k+.

We are early in the application cycle. Is T14 really out of the question without ED? Can't hurt to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:19 am

Assuming you're set on going with these numbers, the lower ranked school makes far more sense. A T20 outside the T14 or so is not gonna improve your chances of unicorn jobs.

And while you won't think much about it in law school, I can assure you the money you'll be borrowing for a full-boat law degree is very much real.

If you're willing to reroll, there's always the old adage: Sit this one out and retake!

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:27 pm

Cheap is good.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:43 am

Take the T30 with a full-tuition scholarship (assuming the scholarship is unconditional). Temper your expectations about the types of jobs you can get out of law school, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to have a wonderful career as a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”