NYU Executive LLM vs. Georgetown LLM online Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
it'sjustme

New

NYU Executive LLM vs. Georgetown LLM online

Post by it'sjustme » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:19 am

As the title says, I'm currently considering the NYU Executive LLM and Georgetown LLM programs. I would theoretically start either program in Spring 2021. This post is kind of a mixed bag of questions, so if this is the incorrect forum, I apologize.

For a bit of background, I graduated from law school in 2016 from a 90ish ranked school. I took six or seven tax courses, won an award for academic excellence in tax, competed in tax Moot Court, and volunteered over 100 hours to a tax clinic serving those who could not afford counsel.

After graduation and for the better part of the last four years, I've practiced corporate law, with only a smattering of tax, unfortunately. Most of that has been work tangential to corporate, but nothing substantial.

Further, as the bulk of my practice was mergers and acquisitions, I was laid off due to covid a few months back. I figured this would be the perfect time to enroll into a program like this, and would help substantially in trying to procure a tax position.

At this point, my choice is between the NYU Executive LLM program and Georgetown's LLM program. I've read elsewhere that the Executive LLM program is not as well thought of as the full, in-person NYU LLM in tax. However, for my part of the country (Rust Belt city), I'm not sure it'd make much difference, if any. Does anyone have any experience here? Optimally, I'd stay here to procure a tax position. However, if absolutely necessary, I'd be willing to move where there was one.

Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks for reading!

TL;DR - unemployed corporate attorney, loves tax, looking to enroll in NYU Executive LLM or Georgetown online tax program.

Sackboy

Silver

Re: NYU Executive LLM vs. Georgetown LLM online

Post by Sackboy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:21 pm

If they're equivalent cost, NYU is invariably the right answer. I've never heard of anyone even making distinctions between the in-person and "executive" program. They're identical for all intents and purposes. Georgetown is a fine program too, but unless it's considerably cheaper it wouldn't be the right choice.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Not enough information in order to suggest one tax LLM program over the other. Need to know your preferred specialty area within the tax practice arena.

Most important is which school offers the most courses related to your desired area of tax practice.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:06 pm

Going for your CPA might be a better use of time and money.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:41 am

Both of the above users offer bad advice. NYU >> GULC in terms of tax LLM, regardless of if one has a course you'd like to take that the other doesn't. NYU is always the correct choice unless there is a substantial financial difference. CPA is an awful idea, because it's a certification for... accountants. If you want to be a tax lawyer and you want to get an additional degree/cert above the JD, you get a tax LLM.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:33 am

The above post offers a one-size-fits-all generalization.

While I do agree that both are excellent programs, I urge you to determine which program offers the courses that best meet your needs & objectives.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”