UC Davis($$$) vs UC Irvine(sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bluffer0123

New

UC Davis($$$) vs UC Irvine(sticker)

Post by Bluffer0123 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:10 pm

Hi all,

I recently got into UCI, which I am incredibly grateful for, but I have to make the hard choice between UCI and UC Davis. I have $$$ at Davis, but I do hope to return to Southern California after graduation. Is the additional debt from UCI worth it if I want to remain in the SoCal market? Or should I try my best at UCD and accept that Northern California might be where I start my career?

I am looking towards the long term Orange County vs Bay Area cost of living(ie housing prices) to try to justify the additional debt. Foolish? Probably.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: UC Davis($$$) vs UC Irvine(sticker)

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:22 am

Can you live at home for either of these options? How much would your total debt be from each?
I'd say reapply / retake for next year and shoot for $$$ at UCI.

Bluffer0123

New

Post by Bluffer0123 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:52 am

crazywafflez wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:22 am
Can you live at home for either of these options? How much would your total debt be from each?
I'd say reapply / retake for next year and shoot for $$$ at UCI.
I already have a lease signed in Davis actually, but just today they announced an online only Fall semester. My total debt at UCD would be $60k and at UCI would be $150. As much as I would like to make SoCal more of a sure thing after I graduate, I am just not sure if it justifies an additional $90k in loans, especially considering the outcomes between the two schools are mostly the same.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:54 am

What kind of work do you want to do?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:25 pm

UCD is okay for that debt- I would not go to UCI for that debt; it is way too much. I would defer though and retake/reapply for next year if SoCal is your priority. Idk anything about the California market; maybe UCD places some there, but no idea and I assume UCI is stronger there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bluffer0123

New

Post by Bluffer0123 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 pm

Wubbles wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:54 am
What kind of work do you want to do?
In general, I am looking towards private practice, but I also do want to note that the LRAP limit at Davis was just increased to $80k/yr. Not that I am aiming for that right now necessarily, but knowing that I am more comfortable with taking the scholarship at Davis and counting my blessings.

Bluffer0123

New

Post by Bluffer0123 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:49 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:25 pm
UCD is okay for that debt- I would not go to UCI for that debt; it is way too much. I would defer though and retake/reapply for next year if SoCal is your priority. Idk anything about the California market; maybe UCD places some there, but no idea and I assume UCI is stronger there.
My understanding is that Irvine's geographic location is a bit offset by the relative lack of alumni on account of it being a new school. My professional network is already in Southern California, and after speaking to past alumni from both schools, I think going to UCD would not be so foreign as to make impossible a move back to SoCal

Bluffer0123

New

Post by Bluffer0123 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:52 pm

All of that being said, I think I am going to take the $$$ at Davis! Northern California will be a new experience for me, and I know that minimizing debt long term is paramount. I am worried about housing prices in the bay area(a concern for 10+ yr from now) but the flexibility afforded by little debt is huge, and given my network, I think I may have two markets available. Anyways, thank you all for the input!

samlarson

New

Post by samlarson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:52 am

All of that being said, I think I am going to take the $$$ at Davis! Northern California will be a new experience for me, and I know that minimizing debt long term is paramount. I am worried about housing prices in the bay area(a concern for 10+ yr from now) but the flexibility afforded by little debt is huge, and given my network, I think I may have two markets available. Anyways, thank you all for the input!
That's a pretty ballsy move, considering the coronavirus and uncertainty in the economic. What do you plan to do with your student loan or you've got it all covered up?

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:33 am

Bluffer0123 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:52 pm
I think this is the right move given your numbers, interests, and circumstances. If you do well at Davis and/or your circumstances change, I'd consider a transfer to a school like UCLA/USC or Berkeley.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”