Decision Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gngbns

New

Decision

Post by gngbns » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:31 am

I have received full tuition scholarships to Drexel and Rutgers-Camden. I chose Drexel over Rutgers and put in my deposit to attend Drexel in March. In mid June, I was accepted to Temple (my #1 choice going into this) without a scholarship. I would love to hear some opinions on potentially forgoing a full tuition scholarship from Drexel to attend Temple. I spoke with Temple admissions to see if a scholarship could be negotiated, and it seems likely that I will receive one (although it's late and I am not sure how much they could give me). Would it be worth it to attend Temple full price/on scholarship (but not full tuition) with the other opportunities I have available to me?

cavalier1138

Re: Decision

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:33 am

The answer is probably "no," but what are your career goals?

gngbns

New

Post by gngbns » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:39 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:33 am
I would love to pursue a career as a transactional attorney at a mid-sized or large firm in Philly. If that is not possible for me, I would be happy with utilizing the excellent trial advocacy programs at both Temple or Drexel to do Personal Injury work in Philly or the Philly suburbs.

ignorantfoot96

New

Post by ignorantfoot96 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:36 pm

gngbns wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:39 am
cavalier1138 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:33 am
I would love to pursue a career as a transactional attorney at a mid-sized or large firm in Philly. If that is not possible for me, I would be happy with utilizing the excellent trial advocacy programs at both Temple or Drexel to do Personal Injury work in Philly or the Philly suburbs.
Neither will likely get you to a mid-sized or large firm in Philly (as in less than 10% chance probably). However personal injury work could be a likely outcome from either, so I would pick the cheapest option.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:50 pm

It sounds like your career goals are flexible, which is good. You should go to the best low-cost school in your target city, which for you is Drexel. Temple is not so much better that it's worth an extra ~$150-200k.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:03 pm

I agree that Drexel is best if you want to do PI work in Philly, since it's free. But I want to reiterate that biglaw/midlaw is all but impossible from either of these schools. Additionally, transactional law and PI litigation are practically at opposite ends of the legal practice spectrum, so it's a little weird that you'd feel drawn to both.

gngbns

New

Post by gngbns » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:31 pm

To update, I just received a scholarship from Temple. I would end up paying $16k/year for Temple vs. $1000 for Drexel (books). I live about 10-20 minutes from both schools so I do not have to pay for housing. Thanks for your input, everyone! I appreciate the realistic advice.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:42 am

gngbns wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:31 pm
To update, I just received a scholarship from Temple. I would end up paying $16k/year for Temple vs. $1000 for Drexel (books). I live about 10-20 minutes from both schools so I do not have to pay for housing. Thanks for your input, everyone! I appreciate the realistic advice.
Personally, I'd pick Temple at that price difference. I was assuming you'd get half scholarship or less, but it sounds like you got closer to 2/3 or 3/4 tuition. I'd advise that law school is really risky even if you go to a T14 school, but if you're content with working in Philly and likely not getting biglaw (but still maximizing odds at getting it), I would pay an extra $50k total to go to Temple over Drexel.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:24 pm

decimalsanddollars wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:42 am

Personally, I'd pick Temple at that price difference. I was assuming you'd get half scholarship or less, but it sounds like you got closer to 2/3 or 3/4 tuition. I'd advise that law school is really risky even if you go to a T14 school, but if you're content with working in Philly and likely not getting biglaw (but still maximizing odds at getting it), I would pay an extra $50k total to go to Temple over Drexel.
I have to disagree. Disclaimer: I am not familiar with the market.

I looked at LST and the schools have nearly identical placement. Their unemployment/underemployment is roughly the same (0.4% difference), and the big firm score is only 6% higher at Temple. Based on the statistics alone, I can't see how one could justify spending $50k more to go to Temple for an additional 6% margin to land a medium or large firm. I'd 100% stick with Drexel.

You're going to be thrilled when you roll out of law school in three years with $0 debt (assuming you get a summer job that pays at some point to cover books) and have all the flexibility to pursue what you want (which could be totally different from what you want now in 3 years). There will rarely be a scenario in which you go "Wow, I'm so happy I paid $50k more for that extra 6% margin."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”