Columbia for New York City Big Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jorgeapaez

New

Columbia for New York City Big Law?

Post by jorgeapaez » Sat May 30, 2020 7:31 am

Hello everyone.
I've been preparing to take the LSAT.
RIght now at 146 but working my way up, my target score on practice tests before I let myself take the LSAT is 175.
My question is this.
I wanna get into big law in New York, and I know according to rankings the ttop 2 Business Law programs are at Harvard and Columbia. (US News rankings as of this year.)
I've heard though that across all law firms, hiring teams give preference to those closest to them.
First of all is this true and second of all, in that case, since I want to work in New York would it be better for me to go to Columbia Law instead of Harvard?

Thanks,

Jorge

dabigchina

Gold

Re: Columbia for New York City Big Law?

Post by dabigchina » Sat May 30, 2020 11:05 am

If you get into both, go to Harvard unless Columbia gives you enough money for it to be a lot cheaper.

There is a hometown advantage, but Harvard is Harvard.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat May 30, 2020 11:31 am

Pretty much any of the t6 schools will get you NYC big law at an equivalent rate (any differences are really self-selection), or at a rate where the decision factor is irrelevant.

In other words, your consideration for deciding which school to pick should NOT be ability to get big law if you are deciding between those schools. It should be 1) cost, 2) where you want to live. Those things being similar obviously go to Harvard vs Columbia.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Sun May 31, 2020 9:05 pm

I think you should prepare the best you can, take the LSAT, and then see which schools might be within reach for you.
I do not think that debating Harvard versus Columbia at this point is a very useful exercise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”