Northeastern vs. American vs. re-apply Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jrdtl

New

Northeastern vs. American vs. re-apply

Post by jrdtl » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:40 pm

Stats:
3.65 gpa
164 LSAT
nonURM, C&F: 1 admin warning for alc., took Jan 2019 lsat so apps went complete in mid-February
1 year out from undergrad; working abroad til COVID-19 sent me home early

I have a full ride to the following schools:
American
Northeastern
Loyola Marymount
George Mason

A little more than a half ride at Colorado (Boulder)
Waitlisted at BU, GWU, UNC and Georgetown

Though I am a bit disappointed in my cycle results, attending Northeastern or American on a full ride seem like two pretty good options. I went to undergrad in Boston and I like the city, so Northeastern seems like a solid pick, but I like D.C. a lot and would like to live in a different part of the country before eventually returning to the northeast/Boston area (totally fine with getting a job in the D.C. area post-grad though). Interested in public interest/imm. law, though I am keeping my options open. However, considering this interest, I don't think attending a school for anything less than a full ride would be a good idea. Though I know many would argue that GMU would be the best choice due to its ranking, when I visited I didn't get a good feeling at all, and don't want to go to a school I'd be unhappy at. That, plus what I've heard about GMU doing no better in the D.C. area than American, has turned me away from that option.

Though I am considering re-applying next cycle, I really don't want to. I don't believe I can get my LSAT any higher, and therefore would be doing so simply because I applied so late this cycle. However, I had a hard time finding any job at all following undergrad (my job abroad was part-time and in education) and I am worried it will be even harder now due to COVID-19. I would also like to start law school sooner rather than later, and am wondering if I would really fare any better next cycle getting a full ride to higher-ranked schools on the East coast, specifically BU or GWU (which were both my top choices). I also don't have a great home life, so living from home to save costs -- or living from home indefinitely while searching for a job -- doesn't feel like a good plan to me.

Interested in any advice about which (Northeastern or American) would be a better pick, as well as insight as to how much better I'd fare if I applied early next cycle. Thanks!

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: Northeastern vs. American vs. re-apply

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 pm

Sounds like you're generally thinking about this the right way. I think if you can wait a year, reapplying might yield a better outcome with BC/BU, but free Northeastern is a fine outcome for your goals. As for GMU, it's really only better than American if you're interested in conservative-leaning judges, think-tanks, etc. or are particularly conservative yourself---it doesn't really have an advantage in DC apart from that, and placing in DC is an uphill battle for anyone not coming from T6 or high achievers at other very good schools.

Also note that the schools you're considering (apart from the ones that have waitlisted you) are all regional schools, so they won't be very portable later. What that means for you: going to American in hopes of working in DC and heading to Boston later isn't a safe bet. If you want to be in Boston, you should go to school in Boston (or at least in the T14).

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Northeastern vs. American vs. re-apply

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:06 pm

If you want to live in Boston/New England pick Northeastern. These are all comparable/regional schools. GMU might be a tiny bit better but it would be negligible at best. Best of luck

Return to “Choosing a Law School”