For prosecution, BU or UCLA? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rogerlime

New

For prosecution, BU or UCLA?

Post by rogerlime » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:13 pm

I am currently torn between UCLA and BU. UCLA is regarded as a better school in rankings, but BU has more impressive clinical opportunities, including a well-established prosecution clinic. I went to a really crappy undergrad college, so prestige seems like it'd be more important to compensate for that.

I would like to work in either the LA County or Suffolk County (Boston) DA's Office--or, of course, other prosecutor offices nearby those respective areas (Ventura, Riverside, Orange, Middlesex, Essex, Norfolk). I would also love to work in a NYC office, though I know that's an improbable fantasy. I've heard SoCal DA's Offices are notoriously hard to get into, but are New England offices really any less competitive? Would either UCLA or BU position me better for the aforementioned jobs?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

Libya

New

Re: For prosecution, BU or UCLA?

Post by Libya » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:27 pm

What scholarships have you gotten? That will be the deciding factor most likely

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:31 pm

I probably wouldn't pick based on the clinical program. The experience is helpful and you might make connections that ultimately lead to a job, but I think a school's overall placement in its home market / region is going to be the more important factor for prosecution options. I tend to think that UCLA puts more people into prosecution in southern California than BU does in Boston / New England, but just basing that on anecdotal evidence. LA is a much larger market too. There are often openings in that office, but I don't know about Suffolk County.

I interned with a few UCLA law students in San Diego and San Bernardino and they seemed to think that their school did very well with local government in Orange County, LA, San Diego, and the smaller offices in the area, both prosecution and PDs. That info is secondhand but maybe it will help.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:01 pm

Yeah, don’t pick based on clinics. You can get relevant experience interning directly for a prosecuting office, you don’t need to do a clinic.

I also don’t think a NYC office is an improbable fantasy (depending on the office; but there are quite a few in NYC).

In any case, most prosecutors’ offices will not be super concerned with pedigree/prestige. They mostly want to see experience, dedication, and can someone vouch for you.

I think BU would place fine in local prosecution, but keep in mind Mass prosecution offices pay pretty badly. Either school will be sufficient to get you a local prosecution job - pick the one that’s cheaper, then the one you like better. Boston and LA are VERY different places to live.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:28 pm

simple question: would you rather work in the Boston area, or in southern California?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rogeliolimon

New

Post by rogeliolimon » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:16 am

Thank all of you so much for the advice thus far! The COAs at both schools, with scholarships and outside help, will leave me with minimal/manageable debt--even given the low pay of most state prosecutor offices (though by BU offer is definitely better). I also have a slight preference for the Northeast (the culture and the trains). I guess my biggest concern is if UCLA’s reputation carries substantially more weight than BU in DA hiring. Like a lot of people, I’m irrationally fixated on rankings, so I get insecure about turning down #15 for #23 (especially since my podunk undergrad is like #153). If the difference between the schools is primarily negligible/geographical (which seems to be the case based on most people I’ve talked to), I can lessen the prestige factor in my final considerations.

@JOThompson - I had heard horror stories about LADA hiring from other boards on TLS, which disheartened me about aiming for the SoCal prosecution spots. I’m glad to hear your firsthand experiences have been more optimistic. I’d absolutely love to work in either the LA or San Diego County DA’s Office, especially since my biggest interest is organized crime.
@nixy - That’s a really encouraging take! I’ve wanted to work in NY law enforcement since I was a little kid and--because I get insecure when people accuse me of watching too much Law & Order--I’ve been interning in prosecutor’s offices/district courts since high school. I have definitely seen the low starting salaries of MA offices (i.e. $56,000 in Suffolk County). They’re certainly unattractive salaries, but I feel like with little/no college debt and a minimalist/unmarried lifestyle that I can just get by with a dinky income like that.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:02 am

rogeliolimon wrote:Like a lot of people, I’m irrationally fixated on rankings, so I get insecure about turning down #15 for #23 (especially since my podunk undergrad is like #153). If the difference between the schools is primarily negligible/geographical (which seems to be the case based on most people I’ve talked to), I can lessen the prestige factor in my final considerations.
Good news: The difference between the schools is geographical.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”