Michigan v. UI & UCLA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BeJimmiebum

New

Michigan v. UI & UCLA

Post by BeJimmiebum » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Hey everyone, I saw this thread and thought Id reopen it since Im currently deciding between U Michigan, U Illinois and UCLA for AMO/QI. Id be interested to see where you guys ended up and to hear any advice you can give looking back. Thanks

BTW Im also graduating from UMD

cavalier1138

Re: UCLA vs GWU for PI

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 am

BeJimmiebum wrote:Hey everyone, I saw this thread and thought Id reopen it since Im currently deciding between U Michigan, U Illinois and UCLA for AMO/QI. Id be interested to see where you guys ended up and to hear any advice you can give looking back. Thanks

BTW Im also graduating from UMD
Do you have scholarship offers yet? Illinois is probably not worth considering, but you're super-early on the game at this point. Wait until you have a better sense of all your offers (including scholarships) before you start making specific choices.

QContinuum

Re: Michigan v. UI & UCLA

Post by QContinuum » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm

I split this off into a new thread because, IMO, Michigan vs. UCLA is not at all comparable to GWU vs. UCLA. Michigan vs. UCLA is comparing a T13 renowned for its PI prowess to a strong regional T20. To me there would have to be a yawning cost differential before it would potentially make sense to pick UCLA over Mich.

In contrast, GWU vs. UCLA is comparing a strong regional T30 to a strong regional T20. The choice in that case should be driven largely by the applicant's post-law school geographic preference - DC vs. CA.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”