TEMPLE V WAKE FOREST Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
keslaw

New

TEMPLE V WAKE FOREST

Post by keslaw » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:26 pm

I'm really struggling to decide between Temple and WF for school next year and I'm looking for some insight. With scholarships both schools would be $11k per year ($33k total) so cost doesn't matter. I know WF is ranked better than Temple, but I'm really happy I got into both schools and would love to go to either (so plz don't say neither).

Temple- I'm from PA and ideally wanted to be more city oriented for law school so location is favorable. I also toured it and really love the vibes I got/community feel and involvement. After school I want to work in PA or somewhere in the Northeast.

Wake Forest- I've heard with law school you really should go to the best ranked one so Idk how seriously I should weigh in the fact that WF is considered better ranked. They also seem to be really good for healthcare law/business law which is what I'm leaning towards but I worry about being stuck in the middle of nowhere in the south.

I have 2 weeks to decide so any advice or considerations you guys have would be AMAZING.

Thanks!

QContinuum

Re: TEMPLE V WAKE FOREST

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 pm

Law schools outside the T14/T20 place locally. You should attend law school in the market where you want to practice/live. If you want to practice/live in PA, you should not attend law school in North Carolina.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:33 am

QContinuum wrote:Law schools outside the T14/T20 place locally. You should attend law school in the market where you want to practice/live. If you want to practice/live in PA, you should not attend law school in North Carolina.
Also, specialty law rankings are pointless.

OP, what kind of lawyer do you want to be?

keslaw

New

Post by keslaw » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:17 am

Wubbles wrote:
QContinuum wrote:Law schools outside the T14/T20 place locally. You should attend law school in the market where you want to practice/live. If you want to practice/live in PA, you should not attend law school in North Carolina.
Also, specialty law rankings are pointless.

OP, what kind of lawyer do you want to be?
I'm not 100% sure but I know I don't want to do public interest. I'm leaning towards health care, tax or corporate

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:16 am

keslaw wrote:With scholarships both schools would be $11k per year ($33k total) so cost doesn't matter.
How does a minimal scholarship mean that "cost doesn't matter?" How are you planning on financing school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keslaw

New

Post by keslaw » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
keslaw wrote:With scholarships both schools would be $11k per year ($33k total) so cost doesn't matter.
How does a minimal scholarship mean that "cost doesn't matter?" How are you planning on financing school?
Each scholarship is covering over half the cost of tuition... I think you misinterpreted what I said. With my scholarships at both schools the cost of tuition would be $11k per year which I can afford so I'm not taking money into consideration.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:26 am

keslaw wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Each scholarship is covering over half the cost of tuition... I think you misinterpreted what I said. With my scholarships at both schools the cost of tuition would be $11k per year which I can afford so I'm not taking money into consideration.
So that's definitely not true. It's almost true at Temple, because I assume you're paying resident tuition (currently sitting at $27k per year). But Wake Forest is $45k per year, so you're still on the hook for $34k per year in tuition alone. And both schools list COL expenses at around $21-22k per year.

So this is why I'm questioning what you mean by "cost doesn't matter." You're looking at over $100k total cost of attendance at each school (closer to $170k at WF), and I'm trying to figure out how you're affording it. Are you saying that you already have savings to pay off the cost of attendance? Or are you assuming that you'll be able to take out loans and comfortably pay back the debt?

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:33 am

keslaw wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
But tuition is just one aspect of the cost of attendance. You need to consider total COA, including room & board, fees, student expenses, travel, etc. Even with your discounts, total COA for 3 years at either of these schools is going to be ~$100k. This doesn't include the opportunity cost of not having paid employment for 3 years. Neither school will give you more than a 20% chance of Biglaw (the only private job that you'd be able to pay off that kind of debt). And $100k is a lot of money if you're banking on PSLF to help you repay those loans.

If you want to practice in PA, WF can easily be eliminated. Then we just need to discuss your goals to determine if dropping 6 figures on a JD from Temple is worth it.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:34 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
keslaw wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
So that's definitely not true. It's almost true at Temple, because I assume you're paying resident tuition (currently sitting at $27k per year). But Wake Forest is $45k per year, so you're still on the hook for $34k per year in tuition alone. And both schools list COL expenses at around $21-22k per year.

So this is why I'm questioning what you mean by "cost doesn't matter." You're looking at over $100k total cost of attendance at each school (closer to $170k at WF), and I'm trying to figure out how you're affording it. Are you saying that you already have savings to pay off the cost of attendance? Or are you assuming that you'll be able to take out loans and comfortably pay back the debt?
Cav, you are reading his posts wrong. He is saying his tuotion cost after scholarship is 11k at each per year. Different sized scholarships, same cost at each. But yes, he still has cost of living to factor in at each school on top of tuition

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keslaw

New

Post by keslaw » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:47 am

Wubbles wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
keslaw wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Cav, you are reading his posts wrong. He is saying his tuotion cost after scholarship is 11k at each per year. Different sized scholarships, same cost at each. But yes, he still has cost of living to factor in at each school on top of tuition
^Yes exactly thank you! My scholarship for temple is $15k a year for $26k tuition is $11k a year. My scholarship for WF is $35k a year for $46k tuition so again $11k a year. I'm really just trying to get at the fact that the costs would be the same for me and I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about loans or even COL for these schools which is why I emphasized cost not going into this decision for me. I appreciate your concern about costs but I'm looking more for insights on other aspects of these schools.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:13 pm

If you don't want to do public interest work, I would not go to either. Because you want to be in PA, I will vote for Temple just so that when you are unhappy with your job at least you'll be where you want to be

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Wubbles wrote:If you don't want to do public interest work, I would not go to either. Because you want to be in PA, I will vote for Temple just so that when you are unhappy with your job at least you'll be where you want to be
Pretty much this. And please be realistic about your likely salary after graduation.

But Wake Forest is a hard no if you don't want to live in North Carolina.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”