Suffolk $$ vs. BC Sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cwalkley25

New

Suffolk $$ vs. BC Sticker

Post by cwalkley25 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:17 pm

So my choices are either Suffolk at about 75% off vs BC full price. From a numbers crunch looks like cost of loans by the end of school is roughly 85k vs 225k (not including costs increased during repayment period). Not interested in government or PI, would like to do something with business/corporate law.

Concerned that with BC sticker basically need to do Biglaw in order to pay off the loans in time (will be 30 years old by graduation) and dont want to be forced to a soul sucking job just to become debt free, though i think i could enjoy Biglaw (not sure).

Concerned that with Suffolk won't have ability to get a Biglaw job, and forced to take something around 75k-80k, in which case it takes about same time frame to pay off as BC debt + Biglaw. Also, in terms of longterm career options, wondering is I need Biglaw in order to have better practice skills.

I know at Suffolk i would need to be top 10% of class to get the jobs I'm looking at, while BC probably need to be top 50%. I know i will be competitive in school and think top 10% is obtainable at Suffolk, though I know it's not a guarantee.

Definitely staying in Boston for career, grew up in area, went to BC undergrad, connections in Boston as well.

Thoughts? I basically see it as go to Suffolk and have the ability to take a lower paying job/non soul sucking job since loans are less, but harder to get a job VS. go to BC and forced to take a batter pay/potential soul sucking job with better chances at landing a job and better longterm career.

My ideal situation would be Biglaw for 2-3 years, then lateral to something with better hours for family life, but making $90-$120K. So Suffolk with less loans sets up for this beautifully, while BC I would need Biglaw for like 4-5 years which has huge potential for being not happy/burning out.

As you can see, very conflicted. Appreciate any feedback, or corrections to any assumptions I've used in my thought process

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Suffolk $$ vs. BC Sticker

Post by deadpanic » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:33 pm

cwalkley25 wrote:So my choices are either Suffolk at about 75% off vs BC full price. From a numbers crunch looks like cost of loans by the end of school is roughly 85k vs 225k (not including costs increased during repayment period). Not interested in government or PI, would like to do something with business/corporate law.

Concerned that with BC sticker basically need to do Biglaw in order to pay off the loans in time (will be 30 years old by graduation) and dont want to be forced to a soul sucking job just to become debt free, though i think i could enjoy Biglaw (not sure).

Concerned that with Suffolk won't have ability to get a Biglaw job, and forced to take something around 75k-80k, in which case it takes about same time frame to pay off as BC debt + Biglaw. Also, in terms of longterm career options, wondering is I need Biglaw in order to have better practice skills.

I know at Suffolk i would need to be top 10% of class to get the jobs I'm looking at, while BC probably need to be top 50%. I know i will be competitive in school and think top 10% is obtainable at Suffolk, though I know it's not a guarantee.

Definitely staying in Boston for career, grew up in area, went to BC undergrad, connections in Boston as well.

Thoughts? I basically see it as go to Suffolk and have the ability to take a lower paying job/non soul sucking job since loans are less, but harder to get a job VS. go to BC and forced to take a batter pay/potential soul sucking job with better chances at landing a job and better longterm career.

My ideal situation would be Biglaw for 2-3 years, then lateral to something with better hours for family life, but making $90-$120K. So Suffolk with less loans sets up for this beautifully, while BC I would need Biglaw for like 4-5 years which has huge potential for being not happy/burning out.

As you can see, very conflicted. Appreciate any feedback, or corrections to any assumptions I've used in my thought process
You think you'll be "forced" to take a job at 75-80k from Suffolk? Buddy, that would be a home run salary coming from that school.

Definitely, 100% NOT BC. That is a quarter of a million dollars, maybe even more after interest and origination fees. Also, median from BC has virtually no shot at BigLaw. Top 1/3rd at the least and that is not a guarantee at all.

Neither of these schools:
BC is not worth that price - not even close.
Suffolk is likely not going to get you the jobs with your desired salaries. You are also still going to be looking at 85k of debt and that school is not worth that considering you won't make nearly that coming out of Suffolk.

You need to get a better understanding of the legal market and its salaries. Best of luck.

cwalkley25

New

Post by cwalkley25 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:45 pm

Here's my reasoning behind top 50% at BC:

101-250 Attorneys 16 16 7% $122,500 $170,000 $180,000 $146,563
251-500 Attorneys 16 14 6.2% $160,000 $180,000 $180,000 $160,500
501+ Attorneys 57 57 25.1% $180,000 $180,000 $180,000 $177,105

Which as you can see is about 40% of the class, so i was off by 10% at most

Source: https://www.lstreports.com/schools/bc/sals/more/

And for Suffolk, if salaries are similar to BC, here are where grads ended up:
101-250 Attorneys 10 0 0 0 10
251-500 Attorneys 5 0 2 0 7
501+ Attorneys 17 0 0 0 17

And for the $75K-$90K range, Suffolk grads ended here:
11-25 Attorneys 17 1 0 0 18
26-50 Attorneys 17 0 1 1 19
51-100 Attorneys 7 0 0 0 7

Source: https://www.lstreports.com/schools/suffolk/aba/

I mean the ABA reports could be false, but whats the consensus on that?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:23 pm

Neither of these are good options. They are both just way too much of a gamble. Don’t forget opportunity cost of no income for three years to get a degree from a TTTT.

Without any real reason, though, intuitively, I think it would be easier to do top 10% from Suffolk than top 1/3 from Bc.

himi bimi

New

Post by himi bimi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:22 am

Did BC already get back to you regarding scholarship money? They should have just started releasing awards a few days ago.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:08 am

Neither. Both of these options are very risky for your current goals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”