Has anyone gone to the LSAC forum? Is it worth it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
t14orbust22

New

Has anyone gone to the LSAC forum? Is it worth it?

Post by t14orbust22 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:01 pm

I was thinking about attending the LSAC forum in Chicago on Tuesday but I live several hours away and I don't know if it's worth the trip when I could spend the time working on my application and sharpening up my LSAT skills in case I need a December retake and save a bit of money. Has anyone gone to an LSAC forum? If so, did you find it useful or worth your time or do you think I'd be better served working on my application at home?

nufmgaiw

New

Re: Has anyone gone to the LSAC forum? Is it worth it?

Post by nufmgaiw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Although I can't say that I know whether signing in to a school's booth improved my odds any when applying, I can say that it was not worthwhile in the sense that I learned anything that I didn't already know from the website. I primarily went to get fee waiver (and was not very successful at that). But that's just my story, maybe you would have better luck.

doglawin

New

Post by doglawin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:07 pm

I'd also like to know this; I'm driving quite a ways to my state's LSAC forum, and would like to know the experience others have had.

OP, I've *read* some deans attend the forums, and it would certainly be advantageous to get a one-on-one with them... I'd just like for a previous attendee to verify this!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:26 pm

If it's not convenient (as in more convenient than the facts you've laid out here), don't bother.

You will not get a one-on-one with a dean, unless you count shaking someone's hand and talking to them for two minutes while a sea of anxious 0Ls crowd in behind you and try to act really impressive as a "one-on-one" meeting. You will not get an admissions boost. You will get free food and some fee waivers.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:31 am

cavalier1138 wrote:If it's not convenient (as in more convenient than the facts you've laid out here), don't bother.

You will not get a one-on-one with a dean, unless you count shaking someone's hand and talking to them for two minutes while a sea of anxious 0Ls crowd in behind you and try to act really impressive as a "one-on-one" meeting. You will not get an admissions boost. You will get free food and some fee waivers.
This isn't accurate. I had 10-15 minute conversations with Deans that transitioned into meaningful email contact between the forum and me applying. The dean of admissions for a T13 that I was admitted to on day one specifically said that our meeting at the forum was a factor in me getting in so early. It also gave me some extra stuff to talk about in Why X statements and later interviews. If you do things right the Forums can be extremely valuable.

I flew in for the DC forum, got a hotel and had to take the metro around all day. Was 110% worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doglawin

New

Post by doglawin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
This isn't accurate. I had 10-15 minute conversations with Deans that transitioned into meaningful email contact between the forum and me applying. The dean of admissions for a T13 that I was admitted to on day one specifically said that our meeting at the forum was a factor in me getting in so early. It also gave me some extra stuff to talk about in Why X statements and later interviews. If you do things right the Forums can be extremely valuable.

I flew in for the DC forum, got a hotel and had to take the metro around all day. Was 110% worth it.
I was referring to your experience in my previous comment, you mentioned it in another thread- do you mind if I dm you?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:31 am

doglawin wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

I was referring to your experience in my previous comment, you mentioned it in another thread- do you mind if I dm you?
Feel free to PM me!

I will add a caveat to my previous comment that my experience may not be typical for Forum attendees; I'm sure that most people who attended had very little benefit in attending. But if you do things right attending a Forum can be extremely valuable.

azaleay

New

Post by azaleay » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:55 am

What if I am not applying this cycle, is it still worth going now? The forum is pretty close to where I work.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 am

azaleay wrote:What if I am not applying this cycle, is it still worth going now? The forum is pretty close to where I work.
Personally I'd pass if you weren't applying this cycle, but it wouldn't hurt to pop in for a little while.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”