School Vs Location Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TLS2022

New

School Vs Location

Post by TLS2022 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Hello,
I am currently located in MN. I graduated from the U of MN, Carlson School of Management in 2005 magna cum laude, and home testing indicates a reasonable expectation of 165-173 LSAT score (testing June 2018). I have 7 yrs work experience as a Naval Officer. I have taken 7 years off to raise 3 children. I have solid letters of recommendation. Given this information, I expect to be able to earn admittance to a T25 school. With my GI Bill, I will receive 80% of in-state state university tuition rates. The University of Minnesota is ranked 17-23 depending on the list referenced. I intend to work in the Twin Cities, private sector, business or labor & employment law.

I am seeking advice on the value of applying to and potentially attending a T7 school knowing it would require the expense and difficulty of relocating my family for 3 years, and I would not intend to seek employment in the region/cities of any T7 schools. Is it worth the time and expense of application? Does a T7 with its associated prestige vs the U of MN improve my employment opportunities/increase potential earnings over time enough to justify the increased cost of education and temporary relocation?
TIA!

grades??

Silver

Re: School Vs Location

Post by grades?? » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:46 pm

None of this matters one bit until you have an Lsat score

koval

Bronze

Post by koval » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Agree with above poster about LSAT score. Get the LSAT then ask for advice.

Also, when you're asking for advice in the future know that there's no such thing as a T7. Generally, it's T13/14 and maybe something like T20, etc. Other than that people just say something like HYS, CCN if they want to speak more specifically. T6 pops up every once in a while but I just assume that the person goes to CCN (no one from Harvard says that they go to a T6).

Good luck on the LSAT and in the application process.
Last edited by koval on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Also, why would you wait until june 2018 to take the lsat. take it in the fall and apply this cycle.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:06 pm

While all the stuff about getting an LSAT first is fair, I think that is a little excessive considering the question you're asking IMO. Assuming you score in that range, you are probably the type of candidate where going to UMN will be the best call for you. With a 167+, and assuming you don't have a really poor uGPA, you will get the rest of tuition covered through scholarship since you have 80% GI Bill. And if you solely intend on practicing in MN, UMN for free is a pretty ideal outcome. If you got a 170+, it might make sense to apply to places like UVA, Michigan, and Berkeley since they will also be at least close to free. It's for sure worth it to apply and do what is best for your entire family.

If it's more important to you to get a high paying job, you'll want to hit that LSAT and apply broadly in the T13 (with emphasis on UVA, Michigan, and Berkeley since they are state schools where you'll automatically be at an 80% discount). But if ending up in MN is most important and you're willing to risk missing out on high paying legal work, UMN for free is your best bet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLS2022

New

Post by TLS2022 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 pm

UVA2B wrote:While all the stuff about getting an LSAT first is fair, I think that is a little excessive considering the question you're asking IMO. Assuming you score in that range, you are probably the type of candidate where going to UMN will be the best call for you. With a 167+, and assuming you don't have a really poor uGPA, you will get the rest of tuition covered through scholarship since you have 80% GI Bill. And if you solely intend on practicing in MN, UMN for free is a pretty ideal outcome. If you got a 170+, it might make sense to apply to places like UVA, Michigan, and Berkeley since they will also be at least close to free. It's for sure worth it to apply and do what is best for your entire family.

If it's more important to you to get a high paying job, you'll want to hit that LSAT and apply broadly in the T13 (with emphasis on UVA, Michigan, and Berkeley since they are state schools where you'll automatically be at an 80% discount). But if ending up in MN is most important and you're willing to risk missing out on high paying legal work, UMN for free is your best bet.
I appreciate your thoughtful reply. I am waiting to test as I do not intend to begin until Fall 2019 (it's not all about me when balancing a family!). I am a big planner, and I like to have goals. I do better with my eye on the prize, so to speak. Thank you for not blowing me off, because I don't have all vernacular, specific numbers, etc perfectly presented right now.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 pm

TLS2022 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:While all the stuff about getting an LSAT first is fair, I think that is a little excessive considering the question you're asking IMO. Assuming you score in that range, you are probably the type of candidate where going to UMN will be the best call for you. With a 167+, and assuming you don't have a really poor uGPA, you will get the rest of tuition covered through scholarship since you have 80% GI Bill. And if you solely intend on practicing in MN, UMN for free is a pretty ideal outcome. If you got a 170+, it might make sense to apply to places like UVA, Michigan, and Berkeley since they will also be at least close to free. It's for sure worth it to apply and do what is best for your entire family.

I appreciate your thoughtful reply. I am waiting to test as I do not intend to begin until Fall 2019 (it's not all about me when balancing a family!). I am a big planner, and I like to have goals. I do better with my eye on the prize, so to speak. Thank you for not blowing me off, because I don't have all vernacular, specific numbers, etc perfectly presented right now.
You could still take in September/December of this year and hold off on applying. I only say that because maintaining your score for a year will be very difficult and taxing. Plus taking it early gives you loads of time to shore up your LORs and PS.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:25 pm

Do you want to work for a large firm, or for a small or medium firm? That's going to be a pretty big factor in what people suggest for you here.

Also, and relatedly, your age might be a factor in law school hiring. I'm not sure I see the utility in waiting 11 months and skipping an admissions cycle. If you have the time to study, there's no reason you couldn't take either the October or December '17 administrations.

As others have said, T7 isn't really a thing. Any of the 13 schools better than Georgetown would be a fine outcome at a reasonable cost, especially if they are UVA, UMich, and Berkeley b/c public. Yet, none of those three are USNews top-7. Really, there are 13 or 14 national schools.

Also note that you may not need a national school depending on your answer to the first question above.

TLS2022

New

Post by TLS2022 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Thank you for the replies. I am reconsidering testing in Dec or Feb vice Jun. I really can't start until Fall 2019 due to family constraints. Business law is my first choice, but I would be willing to reconsider my focus if the job market demanded it. To be honest, I'm not sure it matters much to me the size of the firm. I'd like to make more than $75k a year, and I'd like to work less than 60 hours a week. I'm hoping my willingness to be flexible opens more doors for me than not as I know I am not the perfect candidate. Thanks for the T7 correction. It was something I picked up on a different blog, and I appreciate knowing proper terminology.

Basically, I can't figure out if simply committing to UMN is the best plan given that I want to permanently work and live in the TC, or if going to a different school and moving back to the TC area increases my chances of employment/success. I think part of that is because I don't necessarily understand all of the market factors that go into the school to job pipeline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:26 pm

TLS2022 wrote:Thank you for the replies. I am reconsidering testing in Dec or Feb vice Jun. I really can't start until Fall 2019 due to family constraints. Business law is my first choice, but I would be willing to reconsider my focus if the job market demanded it. To be honest, I'm not sure it matters much to me the size of the firm. I'd like to make more than $75k a year, and I'd like to work less than 60 hours a week. I'm hoping my willingness to be flexible opens more doors for me than not as I know I am not the perfect candidate. Thanks for the T7 correction. It was something I picked up on a different blog, and I appreciate knowing proper terminology.

Basically, I can't figure out if simply committing to UMN is the best plan given that I want to permanently work and live in the TC, or if going to a different school and moving back to the TC area increases my chances of employment/success. I think part of that is because I don't necessarily understand all of the market factors that go into the school to job pipeline.
It you went to a T13, it would help your career options quite a bit. What is your undergraduate GPA? GPA and LSAT are 99% of what matters for admissions (with the exception of URM status). Once you get an LSAT score, you should come back for advise. Also, these forums seem to have good insight on improving your LSAT.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Agreed that the U is probably your best option. I can't remember how well NU, Chicago, and Michigan place in Mpls, but if moving your family is an option at all, that might be something to consider.

Thanks for your service to our country and go Gophers!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:45 pm

TLS2022 wrote:Thank you for the replies. I am reconsidering testing in Dec or Feb vice Jun. I really can't start until Fall 2019 due to family constraints. Business law is my first choice, but I would be willing to reconsider my focus if the job market demanded it. To be honest, I'm not sure it matters much to me the size of the firm. I'd like to make more than $75k a year, and I'd like to work less than 60 hours a week. I'm hoping my willingness to be flexible opens more doors for me than not as I know I am not the perfect candidate. Thanks for the T7 correction. It was something I picked up on a different blog, and I appreciate knowing proper terminology.

UMN for free seems like a really good option for your goals. When you get your LSAT score, definitely stop by again, and we'll be able to offer better advice. But you're on the right track here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”