New LSAT score - Reapply or nah? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Reapply or Nah?

Stay at Berkeley
71%
Try to get off the waitlists
17%
Reapply next Cycle
11%

Total votes: 35

Litt1tUp

Bronze

New LSAT score - Reapply or nah?

Post by Litt1tUp » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:01 pm

So I performed a lot better on the June LSAT in the 175+ range and I have a bit of a dilemma that I would appreciate the wise TLS community advice on!

I am currently enrolled at Berkeley to start in the Fall with a scholly and an outside scholarship to cover majority of the remaining to the point where debt is looking to be 30-50k for the three years (depends on living expenses and other stuff).

I am currently on the waitlist to SCCN and was wondering on if they receive my updated score already/how to write a LOCI stating the new lsat score. Do you think there'd be a chance to get some money from these schools? Should i reapply next cycle and go for HYS?

If I reapply, I will most likely lose my outside scholarship and will have to apply again with no guarantees. My target is Big Law in SF or LA. I am nervous about reapplying because I kind of have just been traveling after leaving my job 2 months ago and my resume will have a gap. I am pretty happy with Berkeley but getting pressured to go for the prestige of HYS.

cavalier1138

Re: New LSAT score - Reapply or nah?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:13 pm

If your only target is biglaw in California, you can't really do better than Berkeley for free-ish (except, you know, Stanford for free). This is one of the few times that I wouldn't recommend reapplying next cycle, because it sounds like you already got your optimal outcome.

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Post by SowhatsNU » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Others may disagree, but I'd stick with Berkeley, and send them a letter asking if they would consider boosting your scholarship in lieu of your increased LSAT score. You never know, and it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

Assuming you wouldn't be in line for a financial need-based aid from Harvard (i.e., I'm assuming your costs of attending Harvard would be considerable higher), I think it would be foolish to reapply.
A) you have no guarantees of getting in,
B) you run the risk of losing the outside scholarship, and attending Harvard would cost more, but most importantly,
C) if your goals are SF BIglaw, Berkeley sets you up for that, without the debt.

Don't chase prestige. Berkeley is a great school, people will still ooh and ahh when you tell them you go/went there, and you should be happy you got in and got a scholly. Additionally you'll have the flexibility of leaving biglaw if you decide its not for you relatively early on.

If you get off the waitlist at SCCN, I still wouldn't go there absent a (comparable) scholarship, but you could always include that info to Berkeley together with your higher LSAT score in the hopes they up your scholly to full.

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll see how the waitlists plays out and try to negotiate to a full for Berkeley.

My outside scholarships isn't school specific so if I did get into a SCCN I would have it for that school too. I would just lose the 60k from Berkeley. I'm mainly interested in Stanford, and besides prestige, how much does one gain in the short or long run from going to HYS or even CCN ?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:09 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll see how the waitlists plays out and try to negotiate to a full for Berkeley.

My outside scholarships isn't school specific so if I did get into a SCCN I would have it for that school too. I would just lose the 60k from Berkeley. I'm mainly interested in Stanford, and besides prestige, how much does one gain in the short or long run from going to HYS or even CCN ?
Prestige is pretty much nothing but vanity (in this case IMO). I don't think you'd see a noticeable difference in employment outcomes in SF between doing well at Berkeley and doing well at Stanford

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:35 pm

there is very little upside to reapplying and a whole lot of potential downsides.

Cogburn1984

New

Post by Cogburn1984 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:40 am

Applying with a 175 +/3.8 sounds like it would yield some incredible outcomes. You'd be in solid contention for HYS and some name scholarships at T6.

That being said, it's hard to do better than Berkeley for almost no debt, especially considering your goals.

I'll disagree with the user above and say there's very little downside to reapplying, if you want to go that route. Honestly if I was in your circumstance I'd definitely reapply. You're in a great position no matter what direction you decide to go.

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Prestige is pretty much nothing but vanity (in this case IMO). I don't think you'd see a noticeable difference in employment outcomes in SF between doing well at Berkeley and doing well at Stanford
Are you saying they're peer schools in their home market? CCN v B in SF, I'm sure. But all else being equal, wouldn't S be looked upon more favorably?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 am

sodomojo wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Prestige is pretty much nothing but vanity (in this case IMO). I don't think you'd see a noticeable difference in employment outcomes in SF between doing well at Berkeley and doing well at Stanford
Are you saying they're peer schools in their home market? CCN v B in SF, I'm sure. But all else being equal, wouldn't S be looked upon more favorably?
Yes, obviously S would be better than Berkeley (to be fair, almost all the T14 are better than Berkeley), but in SF, either B or S is going to be just as good of a bet as the other, and OP has a strong affinity for SF, so in this case, given his stated desirable outcomes, prestige really doesn't matter

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:28 am

Do you really want to put yourself through the quarter system at S anyway? The most stressful part about law school is finals, and quarters mean twice as many finals.

But for real, you'd be taking a pretty big risk to give up a near full ride at B for a chance at S at an undetermined price.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:15 am

There aren't huge differences between the schools that we call "HSCCN"

I would contact the schools on the waitlist and tell them about your new LSAT; if Columbia or Chicago offered you a competitive scholarship that brought the debt down, that would be worth considering. If Stanford offered need based aid that brought the debt down to near the level of B, that would also be very seriously worth considering. I probably wouldn't reapply with Berkeley @ cost of living COA, but that's just me.

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote: (to be fair, almost all the T14 are better than Berkeley)
It's this quote that caused doubt in my original decision.

Is this because of the rank, employment opportunities or level of scholarships given? Is there going to be a difference in the quality of my education or what not? Or are there opportunities or firms that because I went to Berkeley, I would be excluding myself from getting in the future (with the exception of Unicorn jobs)? I understand a lot of it will come down to my academic performance - but I would be willing to take on a little more debt for a more secure chance at employment.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I've been reading them and thinking about stuff! I did email a loci with my new score to SCCN as well as Berkeley to see if I could receive that last bump to cover the entire 3 years. I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Berkeley in the Fall unless I hear back surprising news.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote: (to be fair, almost all the T14 are better than Berkeley)

Is this because of the rank, employment opportunities or level of scholarships given? Is there going to be a difference in the quality of my education or what not? Or are there opportunities or firms that because I went to Berkeley, I would be excluding myself from getting in the future (with the exception of Unicorn jobs)? I understand a lot of it will come down to my academic performance - but I would be willing to take on a little more debt for a more secure chance at employment.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I've been reading them and thinking about stuff! I did email a loci with my new score to SCCN as well as Berkeley to see if I could receive that last bump to cover the entire 3 years. I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Berkeley in the Fall unless I hear back surprising news.
Rank is meaningless except insofar it reflects information about employment opportunities down the road. Location, cost of attendance, and employment stats are what matters.
If I were you I'd tell the schools where you are admitted or waitlisted about the improved LSAT score but I'd go to Berkeley with that outside scholarship instead of reapplying next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:33 am

As a fellow SF-interested individual, Berkeley at full tuition is like a dream come true. I'd take it! How large is the outside scholarship, though? If it's only $5k a year or something, it might be worth it to reapply next year and put the 15k at risk. Berkeley would presumably give you the same scholarship (I actually don't know this, but it makes sense, right?), but you'd be in line for a similar scholarship at CCN, which is a better outcome outside of NorCal. Peace :)

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:09 am

Litt1tUp wrote:

Ignore it. You have a great outcome here for your goals.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:57 am

Litt1tUp wrote:Is there going to be a difference in the quality of my education or what not?
No.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:30 am

Litt1tUp wrote:

Hah, sorry about that. I have a personal aversion to Berkeley based on ideological reasons (I was also mostly trying to hammer home the obvious point to someone else that Stanford is obviously 'superior', and in a vacuum, all of the T14 beneath HYS are largely very similar - that being said Berk and S are arguably the best for SF). Looks like I didn't use my words super clearly. FWIW, I voted for you to stay with Berk for free in the poll. It sounds like the best option you have available (and it's a great option).

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:00 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:

Hah, sorry about that. I have a personal aversion to Berkeley based on ideological reasons (I was also mostly trying to hammer home the obvious point to someone else that Stanford is obviously 'superior', and in a vacuum, all of the T14 beneath HYS are largely very similar - that being said Berk and S are arguably the best for SF). Looks like I didn't use my words super clearly. FWIW, I voted for you to stay with Berk for free in the poll. It sounds like the best option you have available (and it's a great option).
"HYS" is a tls fabrication

Stanford is superior to Cal in most respects but there are no bright line rules here. All the top schools are comparable

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”