UConn (75%) vs. Brooklyn (90K) vs. Cardozo (30K) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Stylnator

Silver

Re: UConn (75%) vs. Brooklyn (90K) vs. Cardozo (30K)

Post by Stylnator » Mon May 01, 2017 3:07 pm

grades?? wrote:
Take for example UConn- only 59% of the last class with data (2015) work as lawyers. That means 41%!!!!!! DO NOT WORK AS LAWYERS (not by their own choice, because why go to law school then). You have a general coin flip chance at ever being a lawyer. So only half the class is working as lawyers, fighting for those 50k jobs. Only the top 5% or so even has a shot at a better outcome. So its not a matter of being at the bottom of the class. Its a matter of luck, curve, and hoping there is ANY legal job.

Source: https://www.lstreports.com/schools/uconn/jobs/
I was under the impression that it's always best to use the most recent data? 2016 for UConn is out, LST just hasn't updated it. It's 71% employment. Meaning 30% not working as lawyers is definitely sub par and not ideal at all, but to label UConn as a coin flip chance doesn't seem quite right.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Stylnator wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Take for example UConn- only 59% of the last class with data (2015) work as lawyers. That means 41%!!!!!! DO NOT WORK AS LAWYERS (not by their own choice, because why go to law school then). You have a general coin flip chance at ever being a lawyer. So only half the class is working as lawyers, fighting for those 50k jobs. Only the top 5% or so even has a shot at a better outcome. So its not a matter of being at the bottom of the class. Its a matter of luck, curve, and hoping there is ANY legal job.

Source: https://www.lstreports.com/schools/uconn/jobs/
I was under the impression that it's always best to use the most recent data? 2016 for UConn is out, LST just hasn't updated it. It's 71% employment. Meaning 30% not working as lawyers is definitely sub par and not ideal at all, but to label UConn as a coin flip chance doesn't seem quite right.
A one-time increase isn't necessarily a sign that the school has turned it around, either.

At any rate, the OP appears to have "considered" all the posts here and taken the standard route of ignoring anything negative and following up with questions about the most implausible great outcomes.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Mon May 01, 2017 4:46 pm

I will echo everyone else and say retaking is your best option. However, if you are willing to take the risk, your best option is probably UConn.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:11 pm

quinnipiac

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Mon May 01, 2017 6:17 pm

pancakes3 wrote:quinnipiac
lol 40 million pages later

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

baseballnerd88

New

Post by baseballnerd88 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:35 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Since "midlaw" is generally considered harder to land than biglaw, I vote for none of the above. Maine means you likely won't be a lawyer. UConn or Brooklyn means that there's a not-insignificant chance you won't be a lawyer. And Cardozo costs too much for your likely salary outcomes. And as people have already indicated, paying sticker at Minnesota or Fordham is financial suicide.

Retaking is an option. It's just an option that will mean taking a little more time in the working world before you take again. But if you absolutely refuse to do that, you should either adjust your goals or not go to law school.
I know a lot of people that have graduated Uconn Law and make a lot money. Hell, one of my uncles graduated QU Law and makes over 250k a year. I'm new to this forum and from what I am seeing, it's all about top 20 law schools. Just because you go to a smaller school and rack up debt doesn't mean you won't be successful.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:26 am

baseballnerd88 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Since "midlaw" is generally considered harder to land than biglaw, I vote for none of the above. Maine means you likely won't be a lawyer. UConn or Brooklyn means that there's a not-insignificant chance you won't be a lawyer. And Cardozo costs too much for your likely salary outcomes. And as people have already indicated, paying sticker at Minnesota or Fordham is financial suicide.

Retaking is an option. It's just an option that will mean taking a little more time in the working world before you take again. But if you absolutely refuse to do that, you should either adjust your goals or not go to law school.
I know a lot of people that have graduated Uconn Law and make a lot money. Hell, one of my uncles graduated QU Law and makes over 250k a year. I'm new to this forum and from what I am seeing, it's all about top 20 law schools. Just because you go to a smaller school and rack up debt doesn't mean you won't be successful.
First, the OP is long gone. And your uncle graduated law school in a very different legal market; his experiences aren't terribly relevant.

But since you're raising a common point 0Ls like to lean on when they make bad decisions: I know people who hit it big playing the slots at Vegas. That doesn't mean I'd recommend playing the slots at Vegas to make lots of money. So yes, someone very well could go to QU at sticker and end up making $250k a year. Statistically, they have a very low chance of making that much money within 5-10 years of graduation, but like I said, some people win big playing the slots.

When applying to law school, 0Ls need to consider their career goals and their debt levels, then look at outcomes for median students at the schools they're considering. If your career goal is to work in small firms in the same region as your chosen school, starting at $45-60k a year, great! Go for it. But if you have $200-300k in debt, then not so great, because you won't be able to pay it off. Similarly, if your goal is to practice in a big firm and pull down $190k right out of school, fantastic! But if your chosen school has a 10-20% chance of placing you in one of those jobs, I hope you have backup goals.

This forum is not "all about top 20 schools." The advice is to go to a school that serves your career goals at a price that you can afford.

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Look at ferrisjo thread. You’ll have plenty of info on this choice (namely that neither is a good move)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”