Northwestern vs. Cornell? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

where to go?

Northwestern $75,000 scholly
28%
Cornell $90,000 scholly
72%

Total votes: 67

guynourmin

Gold

Re: Northwestern vs. Cornell?

Post by guynourmin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:42 am

symphonyy wrote: If I go to NU, I still have chance to work in the NYC right? But would the chance be lower than if I chose Cornell?
my understanding is that its probably easier to get NYC BL than Chicago BL even at NU. at the very least, the answer to your Q is yes, you still have a chance at NYC from NU.

symphonyy

New

Post by symphonyy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:07 pm

guybourdin wrote:
symphonyy wrote: If I go to NU, I still have chance to work in the NYC right? But would the chance be lower than if I chose Cornell?
my understanding is that its probably easier to get NYC BL than Chicago BL even at NU. at the very least, the answer to your Q is yes, you still have a chance at NYC from NU.
Thanks for your reply. To clarify my question, I was asking whether it would be easier to get NYC BL if I go to Cornell than NU

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:12 pm

symphonyy wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Thanks for your reply. To clarify my question, I was asking whether it would be easier to get NYC BL if I go to Cornell than NU
maybe marginally? If all you want is nyc bl, go to cornell because its cheaper.

symphonyy

New

Post by symphonyy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:21 pm

guybourdin wrote:
symphonyy wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
maybe marginally? If all you want is nyc bl, go to cornell because its cheaper.
Great! thanks :)

gilbilya

New

Post by gilbilya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:08 pm

symphonyy wrote:I see so many valuable opinions here! Well I guess the issue here is whether Cornell has some sort of "name value" in my home country and Im gonna have to say yes, though not a definite yes. I am not so sure if its true for the professional field here but the people in general have never even heard of NU(except for the ones whove studied in the US). But again, like one of the posters on this thread mentioned, the ones who are gonna be hiring me are not the general public. So...yea.. :D
I'd pick NU over Cornell if I were in your shoes. NU is on an upward trend whereas Cornell has been standing still for decades. Also I heard that international JDs at Cornell were having a really difficult time finding a job even though their overall employment data looks good. In term of costs, you're an international student so, technically, the COA difference doesn't matter that much to you anyway, otherwise you wouldn't be applying for U.S. law schools. I am an international student as well and is deciding between NU and Mich, mind sharing what your NU alumni contacts have told you abt the school? You can pm me if you want :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:27 pm

gilbilya wrote:I'd pick NU over Cornell if I were in your shoes. NU is on an upward trend whereas Cornell has been standing still for decades.
I think OP would be fine choosing either school, but the bolded is total nonsense.

gilbilya

New

Post by gilbilya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:
gilbilya wrote:I'd pick NU over Cornell if I were in your shoes. NU is on an upward trend whereas Cornell has been standing still for decades.
I think OP would be fine choosing either school, but the bolded is total nonsense.
well it is true in term of rankings and program innovations. (I know people also say that rankings do not really matter, especially for lower T14s. but I also talked to some Berkeley law professors who said rankings did matter for a bit so it depends on who your audiences are I guess. At least in my home country people care obsessively about rankings to an extent that they perceive Boalt as a significantly better law school than NU based simply on last year's ranks. Can't speak for OP's home country but OP does mention the possibility of returning so it has a lot to do with how OP's home country view this kind of things).

CR7

New

Post by CR7 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:02 pm

rpupkin wrote:
https://www.lstreports.com/compare/nort ... n/cornell/

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:05 pm

gilbilya wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
well it is true in term of rankings and program innovations. (I know people also say that rankings do not really matter, especially for lower T14s. but I also talked to some Berkeley law professors who said rankings did matter for a bit so it depends on who your audiences are I guess. At least in my home country people care obsessively about rankings to an extent that they perceive Boalt as a significantly better law school than NU based simply on last year's ranks. Can't speak for OP's home country but OP does mention the possibility of returning so it has a lot to do with how OP's home country view this kind of things).
Other countries view Berkeley higher because it has outsized lay prestige when divorced from the ratings

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gilbilya

New

Post by gilbilya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
gilbilya wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Other countries view Berkeley higher because it has outsized lay prestige when divorced from the ratings
Actually the same goes for UVA or Mich.. they thought they were significantly better than NU or Cornell as well and lay prestige does not explain that. My ultimate point being, other countries adopt different metrics that OP should take into consideration if OP are considering going back.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Well I guess if Berkeley law professors are saying it, it must be true.

symphonyy

New

Post by symphonyy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:23 pm

gilbilya wrote:
symphonyy wrote:I see so many valuable opinions here! Well I guess the issue here is whether Cornell has some sort of "name value" in my home country and Im gonna have to say yes, though not a definite yes. I am not so sure if its true for the professional field here but the people in general have never even heard of NU(except for the ones whove studied in the US). But again, like one of the posters on this thread mentioned, the ones who are gonna be hiring me are not the general public. So...yea.. :D
I'd pick NU over Cornell if I were in your shoes. NU is on an upward trend whereas Cornell has been standing still for decades. Also I heard that international JDs at Cornell were having a really difficult time finding a job even though their overall employment data looks good. In term of costs, you're an international student so, technically, the COA difference doesn't matter that much to you anyway, otherwise you wouldn't be applying for U.S. law schools. I am an international student as well and is deciding between NU and Mich, mind sharing what your NU alumni contacts have told you abt the school? You can pm me if you want :D
Honestly they didnt really give me concrete information about NU. They were all international students,said they dont regret choosing NU over Cornell, and mentioned about how Cornell's location could make me stressed out(well they are NU students so i figured they would almost def say they like NU), so for that reason theyd choose NU over Cornell if they were me. One of them also mentioned that there are many classmates who chose NU over Cornell. Also, she said most international students would have to go to NYC for BL but that NU is a great choice since NU provides high quality business classes(?) and surrounded by malls and restaurants where I could relieve stress.

I wish I had a clearer reason for choosing either school but I dont. This is such a pain in my butt. Where did you hear about Cornell's international students employment outcomes?

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:25 pm

symphonyy wrote:

If i choose NU, i would have around 28k bank loan and if i choose Cornell, 13k.
symphonyy wrote:
I wish I had a clearer reason for choosing either school but I dont.
???????

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Please, go by the employment statistics and not the conjectures of some law professors who don't actually practice law nor hire people at big law firms (unless the professor is actually a law firm partner). The argument over lay prestige that consumes the "Choosing a Law School" subforum is unproductive and becomes a huge circle jerk.

OP, if NY Biglaw is more willing give you visa sponsorship, then Cornell might be the better option.

symphonyy

New

Post by symphonyy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Cornell it is! Thanks everyone! I am actually soooo excited for Cornell!

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 pm

symphonyy wrote:Cornell it is! Thanks everyone! I am actually soooo excited for Cornell!
Looking forward to having you at Cornell :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”