NYU ($), UVA ($), Duke ($), Texas ($$), or WashU ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

NYU
3%
UVA
21%
Duke
55%
Texas
17%
WashU
3%

Total votes: 29

cheaptilts

Silver

Re: NYU ($), UVA ($), Duke ($), Texas ($$), or WashU ($$$)

Post by cheaptilts » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:44 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:Okay, thanks. Why do people pay attention to US News at all instead of just straight employment stats in what they're interested in?
People like rankings, and the rankings are useful in broad swaths (e.g., HYS will generally increase the likelihood of a favorable career outcome vs Duke/Penn/UVA; UF and FSU will generally increase the likelihood of a favorable career outcome over UMiami/Stetson)

When you're comparing Duke/UVA or Northwestern/Cornell or Columbia/NYU, you should be taking other factors into consideration...not rankings.

ETA: dictionary.com's definition of "swath" leads me to believe "broad swaths" may be redundant

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:50 pm

cheaptilts wrote:When you're comparing Duke/UVA or Northwestern/Cornell or Columbia/NYU, you should be taking other factors into consideration...not rankings.
Ah that makes sense, thanks!

If I think I'd be happier in Charlottesville just because I like the feel better, it's probably worth the $10k, right? C'Ville is a cute little town that's seemingly pretty fun. I'm worried Durham will be kind of boring?

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:53 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:When you're comparing Duke/UVA or Northwestern/Cornell or Columbia/NYU, you should be taking other factors into consideration...not rankings.
Ah that makes sense, thanks!

If I think I'd be happier in Charlottesville just because I like the feel better, it's probably worth the $10k, right? C'Ville is a cute little town that's seemingly pretty fun. I'm worried Durham will be kind of boring?
Yes, it'd be worth the $10k, though I doubt Durham would be [any more] boring [than Charlottesville].

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:57 pm

"Call now. For just 75 cents a day, you can help TLS_Dreamer attend UVA over Duke."
*camera pans to sad looking law school applicant*

At that debt level for each, it really doesn't matter all that much. You can take that as an argument for Duke and an argument for UVA however you're viewing it.

After getting so used to people just stating their debt upon graduation without interest, your figures are pretty sobering.

I'd negotiate all around. You are a high LSAT URM. These figures are all too high, and it ain't over until the fat adcom sings.

SUPERCHEF

New

Post by SUPERCHEF » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:05 pm

grades?? wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
grades?? wrote:You need to negotiate with UT. There is no reason you shouldn't be going for free. Once its free, that seems like the obvious choice.
I asked UT to increase their offer, and they increased it by $2k/year to this current offer. I was pretty disappointed...
I would email them with the WUSTL offer and the Duke and UVA offer and say you will attend with a full ride, but no less. If not, you will not attend. At least motivate them.
This. Increasing by 2K/yr is a joke. I wouldn't be overly confrontational or speak in terms of ultimatums b/c that won't get you anywhere, but you NEED to push them a bit harder on this. Be honest with them and yourself: you are worth more than they're offering.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:07 pm

By negotiate I would focus on UVA and Duke. You already paid the UT deposit so there isn't as much a sense of urgency with them. Plus you'll want to get the best possible offer either UVA or Duke will give you to take back to UT for one final polite take it or leave it push.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Dear Texas

I have always wanted to go to Texas because Texas and Texas. Unfortunately, it is not financially feasible for me to attend currently with offers X Y and Z from these schools.

If Texas were to offer X amount, I would immediately withdraw my other acceptances and submit my seat deposit.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Best,

Texan.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:Dear Texas

I have always wanted to go to Texas because Texas and Texas. Unfortunately, it is not financially feasible for me to attend currently with offers X Y and Z from these schools.

If Texas were to offer X amount, I would immediately withdraw my other acceptances and submit my seat deposit.

Best,

Texan.
Exactly. And the number is a full ride. Also, I know Duke and UVA are peers, but poor UVA prestige now that Duke has better employment numbers in every category, better BBQ, better softball and bowling, and of course- the nixon portrait.

And OP, I know OneHanded and I are joking around about UVA and Durham, but I genuinely think there is much more to do in the Durham area than the Charlottesville area. Cville is a hour from Richmond, but Durham is 20 minutes from Chapel Hill and Raleigh. There is a lot to do in this area. Durham especially is one of the top foody towns in the south, has a really incredible line of restaurants, a lot of things to do. People might like Cville or Durham better, but it is no longer the case Durham is this dirty southern town. I didn't think I would like Durham and love it here, even more so than Cville (where I have spent a considerable amount of time).

Edit: But OP, I know you might like Cville more, but you need to also look into how UVA does in Texas. Duke does extremely well and I truthfully don't know how UVA does (I would bet a little less better). This should be the most important consideration, not whether UVA is a nicer town to you. If Duke is outplacing UVA in Texas, then you really ought to consider not going to UVA over Duke. Duke law even has alumns sitting on the Texas Supreme Court. Just something to consider.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:52 pm

grades?? wrote:

Best,

Texan.
Exactly. And the number is a full ride. Also, I know Duke and UVA are peers, but poor UVA prestige now that Duke has better employment numbers in every category, better BBQ, better softball and bowling, and of course- the nixon portrait.

And OP, I know OneHanded and I are joking around about UVA and Durham, but I genuinely think there is much more to do in the Durham area than the Charlottesville area. Cville is a hour from Richmond, but Durham is 20 minutes from Chapel Hill and Raleigh. There is a lot to do in this area. Durham especially is one of the top foody towns in the south, has a really incredible line of restaurants, a lot of things to do. People might like Cville or Durham better, but it is no longer the case Durham is this dirty southern town. I didn't think I would like Durham and love it here, even more so than Cville (where I have spent a considerable amount of time).

Edit: But OP, I know you might like Cville more, but you need to also look into how UVA does in Texas. Duke does extremely well and I truthfully don't know how UVA does (I would bet a little less better). This should be the most important consideration, not whether UVA is a nicer town to you. If Duke is outplacing UVA in Texas, then you really ought to consider not going to UVA over Duke. Duke law even has alumns sitting on the Texas Supreme Court. Just something to consider.
I realize you can make every claim you just made about Duke and UVA, but they're all pretty baseless. They are in every way peers, especially with UVA cutting classes to 300 for the upcoming graduating class. There is only one reason to pick one over the other: cost. At equal costs, pick based on which you like better (so as it stands, Duke is the better option). But to make any claims that Duke is better than UVA is just silly. The most recent class had a 0.9% difference. That's not enough to sway one way or the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:55 pm

UVA2B wrote:
grades?? wrote:

Best,

Texan.

I realize you can make every claim you just made about Duke and UVA, but they're all pretty baseless. They are in every way peers, especially with UVA cutting classes to 300 for the upcoming graduating class. There is only one reason to pick one over the other: cost. At equal costs, pick based on which you like better (so as it stands, Duke is the better option). But to make any claims that Duke is better than UVA is just silly. The most recent class had a 0.9% difference. That's not enough to sway one way or the other.
Dude I get it, Im just pointing out the factual truths now. Its fun to poke at you poor UVA students losing your minds about how Duke is outplacing UVA now. But on Texas placement specifically, I think it is something OP really needs to look at in depth between the two. Because for Texas, there is at least from my knowledge a SIGNIFICANT difference in placement power between the two.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:57 pm

What do kids at Duke Law and UVA Law have in common?

They both got into Duke Law.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:00 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:What do kids at Duke Law and UVA Law have in common?

What do kids at Duke and UVA law have in common?

The Duke kids go for cheaper and have better employment outcomes

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:01 pm

grades?? wrote:

Hahahahaha cheaper? How?

And I'm obvs just fucking around, peer schools are peer.

Tho UVA peeps don't have to deal with obnoxious UNC basketball fans.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:03 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:
grades?? wrote:

Hahahahaha cheaper? How?

Hahaha me too, but that other UVA kid got real butthurt about this. I remember seeing this before, but I don't want to be bothered to go google it that Duke law has more students on scholarship than UVA law and the scholarship amounts are higher. So the assumption if Duke does give more scholarship and gives it to more students, then it is cheaper. But then you'd have to do the math with the UVA instate kids, and yeah I really just don't care enough.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:04 pm

grades?? wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
grades?? wrote:

Best,

Texan.

Dude I get it, Im just pointing out the factual truths now. Its fun to poke at you poor UVA students losing your minds about how Duke is outplacing UVA now. But on Texas placement specifically, I think it is something OP really needs to look at in depth between the two. Because for Texas, there is at least from my knowledge a SIGNIFICANT difference in placement power between the two.
who is losing their mind? You made claims that aren't true, I corrected them (to include any claim about better placement in TX based on...Duke telling you so?). Duke and UVA have similar placement power everwhere. There is absolutely zero distinction between the two in TX or anywhere else (unless you can find actual data that clearly bears out a difference, in always willing to be proven wrong). They're peers, and I'm not sure how or why you think it's funny to play up false superiority complexes. I've never said Duke was better/worse than UVA, but it makes anyone from Duke look foolish to trumpet statistics that are essentially rounding errors in difference.

I'm not here to protect UVA and I'm not butt hurt about a statistic. Just pointing out that you look idiotic when you make claims like "Duke CLEARLY places better in X" without anything resembling statistics to back that up. Do you have trouble accepting that they are peers?

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:05 pm

grades?? wrote:
grades?? wrote:

Hahahahaha cheaper? How?

Hahaha me too, but that other UVA kid got real butthurt about this. I remember seeing this before, but I don't want to be bothered to go google it that Duke law has more students on scholarship than UVA law and the scholarship amounts are higher. So the assumption if Duke does give more scholarship and gives it to more students, then it is cheaper. But then you'd have to do the math with the UVA instate kids, and yeah I really just don't care enough.
I thought the trend was that Duke has more students on larger scholarships, but UVA is more feast or famine. So like, Dillard or nothing.

But yeah OP, long story short, Duke/UVA are peers and probs the right choice at this price, but UT is a much better choice if you can get the cost down.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:08 pm

grades?? wrote:
grades?? wrote:

Hahahahaha cheaper? How?

I thought the trend was that Duke has more students on larger scholarships, but UVA is more feast or famine. So like, Dillard or nothing.

But yeah OP, long story short, Duke/UVA are peers and probs the right choice at this price, but UT is a much better choice if you can get the cost down.
Agreed, UT for cheaper is a better outcome, but Duke is better at these prices.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 pm

UVA2B wrote:
grades?? wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
grades?? wrote:

Best,

Texan.

who is losing their mind? You made claims that aren't true, I corrected them (to include any claim about better placement in TX based on...Duke telling you so?). Duke and UVA have similar placement power everwhere. There is absolutely zero distinction between the two in TX or anywhere else (unless you can find actual data that clearly bears out a difference, in always willing to be proven wrong). They're peers, and I'm not sure how or why you think it's funny to play up false superiority complexes. I've never said Duke was better/worse than UVA, but it makes anyone from Duke look foolish to trumpet statistics that are essentially rounding errors in difference.

I'm not here to protect UVA and I'm not butt hurt about a statistic. Just pointing out that you look idiotic when you make claims like "Duke CLEARLY places better in X" without anything resembling statistics to back that up. Do you have trouble accepting that they are peers?
If you want to contest the Texas placement, then be my guest. It would be helpful to OP. I could care less, but I was describing my experience and my peers experience from Duke with Texas.

As far as the other claims, they are all true. I know they are essentially rounding errors, but you have been the one butthurt in this thread. OneHanded and I have been jokingly going back and forth this whole time with all this until you decided to "correct the record" that doesn't need correction.

Im sorry your degree from UVA feels less valuable and probably cost you more than Duke would have. But we have been throughly enjoying ourselves before you decided to parrot UVA.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 pm

This UVA vs. Duke thing is becoming as bad as the "WHICH IS BETTER: CORNELL OR MICH??" of years past

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:11 pm

cheaptilts wrote:This UVA vs. Duke thing is becoming as bad as the "WHICH IS BETTER: CORNELL OR MICH??" of years past
To correct the record, most of this thread has been pretty blatant sarcasm between OneHanded and I. It only got to some dick measuring contest since UVA guy showed up.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Rigo wrote:I'd negotiate all around. You are a high LSAT URM. These figures are all too high, and it ain't over until the fat adcom sings.
I have negotiated everywhere except NYU and Duke (currently have requests in). UVA increased after I showed them NYU's offer, so now I'm hoping NYU will increase and then I can take that to Duke.

If they increase, could I take Duke's new offer to UVA and ask them to negotiate?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Best,

Texan.
This is really helpful, thanks! I honestly think for me to choose Texas and a 35% less chance of biglaw/clerkship, they'd have to increase from $80k to ~$130k. Should I tell them that or say "Full ride or bust" and see if they'll meet in the middle?

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:21 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
Rigo wrote:I'd negotiate all around. You are a high LSAT URM. These figures are all too high, and it ain't over until the fat adcom sings.
I have negotiated everywhere except NYU and Duke (currently have requests in). UVA increased after I showed them NYU's offer, so now I'm hoping NYU will increase and then I can take that to Duke.

If they increase, could I take Duke's new offer to UVA and ask them to negotiate?
Sure, why not? You can do whatever you want to do. They're not going to rescind your acceptance letter over you playing hardball with them. Do whatever you gotta do.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:23 pm

grades?? wrote:

I just want to point out that there are a ton of splitters and reverse splitters at UVA that wouldn't/didn't get into Duke.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:24 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:

Best,

Texan.
This is really helpful, thanks! I honestly think for me to choose Texas and a 35% less chance of biglaw/clerkship, they'd have to increase from $80k to ~$130k. Should I tell them that or say "Full ride or bust" and see if they'll meet in the middle?
You should tell them full ride or bust and if they meet in the middle, its not worth it. I genuinely believe if its not for free, you have much better options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”