Cornell $ vs. Georgetown $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
feefeeriri

New

Cornell $ vs. Georgetown $$

Post by feefeeriri » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:49 am

So I can't decide where to go and I am coming to you guys for help!

I received $142,500 at Georgetown and $105,000 at Cornell.

I want to work in biglaw in NYC and clerk for a year.

I know Cornell has better placement for biglaw in the NYC market, but Georgetown's location is more appealing to me and I'm not sure if their low employment is because everyone tries to get into biglaw in DC or if they actually just suck at placing in NYC. Need some input on this. Am I looking at more competition at Georgetown for an NYC job based on their large class size?

I visited Ithaca and I just don't see myself there due to the isolation. But I am willing to go if it is the better overall choice. I'm also feeling hesitant of denying such a large scholly from Georgetown. Cornell denied my request to reconsider so they will not up their offer.

Thanks!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Cornell $ vs. Georgetown $$

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:01 am

Cornell is the safer choice for your goals, and the difference in cost probably shouldn't dissuade you. GULC lags behind in placement for a number of reasons, and they can place you in NYC Biglaw.

Only you can say how much the isolation of Ithaca will affect you, but absent serious psychological concerns, go to Cornell with that scholarship.

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Does anyone have a clear answer as to why GULC's employment score is 67% according to LST? It appears that people have speculated that 1) it's because of size: bottom half below median struggle to find jobs since the class size is so large plus there are about 100 people transferring from a non top law school who may have trouble finding jobs 2) people want to work in DC and the D.C market is saturated from people from the other top law schools who want to work in DC and the fact that Gtown is in DC doesn't give it any home advantage at all because all the other schools target DC as well 3) some people go for prestigious government or political positions that are extremely competitive

Are these basically the reasons? Also when are this year's employment stats coming out/have they already come out?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:40 pm

feefeeriri wrote:Does anyone have a clear answer as to why GULC's employment score is 67% according to LST? It appears that people have speculated that 1) it's because of size: bottom half below median struggle to find jobs since the class size is so large plus there are about 100 people transferring from a non top law school who may have trouble finding jobs 2) people want to work in DC and the D.C market is saturated from people from the other top law schools who want to work in DC and the fact that Gtown is in DC doesn't give it any home advantage at all because all the other schools target DC as well 3) some people go for prestigious government or political positions that are extremely competitive

Are these basically the reasons? Also when are this year's employment stats coming out/have they already come out?
Sounds like you need someone from GULC to answer this question. Try asking here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=253271

And this year's stats are coming out now. Cornell is out, but not yet GULC: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=276222

SUPERCHEF

New

Post by SUPERCHEF » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:41 pm

feefeeriri wrote:So I can't decide where to go and I am coming to you guys for help!

I received $142,500 at Georgetown and $105,000 at Cornell.

I want to work in biglaw in NYC and clerk for a year.

I know Cornell has better placement for biglaw in the NYC market, but Georgetown's location is more appealing to me and I'm not sure if their low employment is because everyone tries to get into biglaw in DC or if they actually just suck at placing in NYC. Need some input on this. Am I looking at more competition at Georgetown for an NYC job based on their large class size?

I visited Ithaca and I just don't see myself there due to the isolation. But I am willing to go if it is the better overall choice. I'm also feeling hesitant of denying such a large scholly from Georgetown. Cornell denied my request to reconsider so they will not up their offer.

Thanks!
Cornell

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:46 pm

What is your actual debt at repayment from each school?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:27 pm

I know Ithaca is probably the most off-putting of all T13 locations, but I'd go Cornell here given your goals. It's only 3 years and I'm sure your new friendships will get you through the isolation factor and it won't be that bad.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Pretty sure I'd take Cornell here as well. Don't think you're wrong if you choose GULC but Cornell is better given your goals.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Cornell for your goals. There is a theoretical cost-savings-level where I'd say go to GULC instead, but you're probably $20K - $30K away from that point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:52 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with choosing GULC here as GULC tuition is 4K a year less in addition to the extra scholly money. Still, the best bet is to suck it up and take Cornell.

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:41 am

Npret wrote:What is your actual debt at repayment from each school?

Total debt at repayment is 186k at Cornell and 148k at Georgetown.

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:46 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with choosing GULC here as GULC tuition is 4K a year less in addition to the extra scholly money. Still, the best bet is to suck it up and take Cornell.
rpupkin wrote:Cornell for your goals.
ponderingmeerkat wrote:Pretty sure I'd take Cornell here as well. Don't think you're wrong if you choose GULC but Cornell is better given your goals.
Rigo wrote:but I'd go Cornell here given your goals.
Thanks everyone for your input. So I do want to do biglaw in NYC but I may switch into public interest later on or a job with better hours and accordingly a lower salary. I'm not sure of this path yet but does that change anything? Lower salary would equate to a longer time to pay off my debt so I'm feeling debt averse here. I don't think I will last in biglaw forever.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:49 am

feefeeriri wrote:
:shock:
Try to get at least $15k more from Cornell through negotiations.
Also live frugally in Ithaca. And you'll have 2L SA money unless you're a total lemon.

It's expensive but it could work out where you'd graduate closer to $120-130k in the red.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Roose

New

Post by Roose » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:52 am

Regarding a potential switch to public interest, I believe you would then qualify for Cornell's LRAP, which would cover your payments for 10 years (assuming you make under 75,000) until you receive loan forgiveness.

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:53 am

Rigo wrote:
feefeeriri wrote:
:shock:
Try to get at least $15k more from Cornell through negotiations.
Also live frugally in Ithaca. And you'll have 2L SA money unless you're a total lemon.

It's expensive but it could work out where you'd graduate closer to $120-130k in the red.

Yeah I totally screwed up in negotiations because I got an email from Gtown offering me $35k and I thought that was it so I went ahead and negotiated with Cornell to up their offer and they said no. 1 day later Gtown emails me giving me the Opportunity Scholarship which totaled to the $47k a year. I tried telling Cornell that I thought Gtown's $35k was the final offer and if they can look at it again but they said I only get one request for reconsideration and denied me. :(

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:54 am

Roose wrote:Regarding a potential switch to public interest, I believe you would then qualify for Cornell's LRAP, which would cover your payments for 10 years (assuming you make under 75,000) until you receive loan forgiveness.
So I can qualify even if I accept a biglaw job and work there for a few years? I always thought that I have to commit to public interest while in/straight out of law school for LRAP.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:56 am

Eh I'd still go back to them again.
I think the new hardline policies on negotiation are really just flame and if they want to lock you in, they'll play ball.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:02 pm

feefeeriri wrote:
Roose wrote:Regarding a potential switch to public interest, I believe you would then qualify for Cornell's LRAP, which would cover your payments for 10 years (assuming you make under 75,000) until you receive loan forgiveness.
So I can qualify even if I accept a biglaw job and work there for a few years? I always thought that I have to commit to public interest while in/straight out of law school for LRAP.
You have to read each plan. Your understanding is incorrect for some schools and they allow people to move into PI.
I don't see anything where Cornell allows you to enter LRAP later unless you have a clerkship deferral. You need to find out because the info online is scarce. Also the income cap is $80,000.

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... lan-II.cfm
Last edited by Npret on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Rigo wrote:Eh I'd still go back to them again.
I think the new hardline policies on negotiation are really just flame and if they want to lock you in, they'll play ball.
Trying to think of a way to phrase my next email after being rejected two times.."SOOO I know you told me I only get one request and you told me this twice but..." If anyone has a good idea on how to politely request this please PM me :|

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:18 pm

FWIW Georgetown seems to give you two years to apply, but it isn't clear if that allows you to do biglaw private practice and then switch.

https://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissio ... -Apply.cfm

https://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissio ... AP-III.cfm

But obviously I am only posting links here. Neither school seems to expressly allow you to move from private practice to LRAP as other plans will, but it is absolutely not clear.

You need to email and find out!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:21 pm

Npret wrote:FWIW Georgetown seems to give you two years to apply, but it isn't clear if that allows you to do biglaw private practice and then switch.

But obviously I am only posting links here. Neither school seems to expressly allow you to move from private practice to LRAP as other plans will, but it is absolutely not clear.

LRAP is helpful but you could always keep the loans federal and then just do your ten years of PAYE if you switch to PI/Gov. Agree it still makes sense to look into the differences.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Npret wrote:FWIW Georgetown seems to give you two years to apply, but it isn't clear if that allows you to do biglaw private practice and then switch.

LRAP is helpful but you could always keep the loans federal and then just do your ten years of PAYE if you switch to PI/Gov. Agree it still makes sense to look into the differences.
But the school will pay the loans for them if they qualify. Or rather give them the money to pay their loans.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Npret wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

But the school will pay the loans for them if they qualify. Or rather give them the money to pay their loans.
Right, but usually just enough to make PAYE payments. On 60k a year that's a few hundred bucks a month.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Npret wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Right, but usually just enough to make PAYE payments. On 60k a year that's a few hundred bucks a month.
Thanks! I honestly never calculated it. Paying so little on so much debt is crazy to me.
I guess a few hundred is better than nothing.

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Cornell's response: You would qualify for our LRAP program (PILIPP II) as long as you are in qualifying employment and under the income cap. You may participate in the PILIPP II program for a maximum of 10 non consecutive years.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”