BU vs UCLA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MooseMan

New

BU vs UCLA

Post by MooseMan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Hey everyone, my decision is down to these two schools at this point. I would love any insight/input that people may have.

BU: full tuition scholarship
UCLA: 110k scholarship

I estimate COA to be about 40k more at UCLA. This being said, I just learned that I will be receiving some inheritance in the near future (nothing crazy, but a significant chuck of $). Basically, I could go to BU with no debt and leftover $ to invest. I could do UCLA and break even: no debt, nothing leftover.

I love both LA and Boston. I am originally from the northwest and would like to end up back on the west coast at some point down the line, but I would love to live in Boston for 7-10 years.

As far as my career goals, I am interested in employment law and international business law (fluent in spanish). I am not big-law-or-bust, I don't think it would necessarily suit me well. I suppose having the option of big law would be a plus, maybe I'll change my mind once I start school. My ultimate goal is to work in the office of general counsel at a university (after getting a bunch of experience).

I anticipate answers basically saying that I should just choose whether I want to be in LA or Boston. I guess my question is if there are any significant disparities between these two schools that I am missing. They seem to serve similar purposes as strong regional schools in their respective areas. Their employment numbers are similar, though UCLA has a strangely high number of university funded positions (anyone know about that?). UCLA is ranked higher, but does that matter much given they're both in the 15-25 range? I would like to choose the school that will provide me with the best/most opportunities.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: BU vs UCLA

Post by Rigo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

How do you feel about working in NYC for 7-10 years as an alternative to Boston?

I do think it essentially comes down to where you want to live for three years and then which region you want to start your career in. If you don't feel strongly, I'd probably follow the money and then graduate with assets from the inheritance.

The PNW legal markets are small and pretty insular, so it will be more about your ties getting back there than your specific school, even though UCLA is on the west coast and might be a little more well regarded out there (idk if this is the case). But it looks like you'd be looking to lateral after a decade and are not intent on the PNW right after graduation (which is good because then everyone would be telling you UW if you were going for a regional school).

MooseMan

New

Post by MooseMan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:18 pm

Rigo wrote: But it looks like you'd be looking to lateral after a decade and are not intent on the PNW right after graduation (which is good because then everyone would be telling you UW if you were going for a regional school).
Yeah my thought is that I will work in the region of the school I go to, and then go for a lateral move once I have some experience. I do have fairly significant ties in the PNW, so I think it could be reasonable, although you're definitely right about the market being insular here.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 pm

MooseMan wrote:
Rigo wrote: But it looks like you'd be looking to lateral after a decade and are not intent on the PNW right after graduation (which is good because then everyone would be telling you UW if you were going for a regional school).
Yeah my thought is that I will work in the region of the school I go to, and then go for a lateral move once I have some experience. I do have fairly significant ties in the PNW, so I think it could be reasonable, although you're definitely right about the market being insular here.
By all means, shoot for it directly out of law school if you want. It's just good you're not banking on landing a PNW SA.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:00 pm

One question: Do you have any ties to Boston? Being from PNW and coming here may make it more difficult to find a job in the area, particularly in non-biglaw settings. Employers here have gradually started to care less about ties, but some will seriously questions transplants and their commitment.

ETA: speaking from experience

MooseMan

New

Post by MooseMan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:One question: Do you have any ties to Boston?

ETA: speaking from experience
Short answer: kind of.

I don't have connections in the city working in law that will hook me up with anything. I do have a number of friends living there. My SO is currently job hunting in both cities (teacher) and is actually in Boston now interviewing, so wherever we move really will be "home" for a significant amount of time. I guess I don't totally know that types of ties firms would look for to be convinced I'll stick around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”