Need Help deciding on a school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
brewpub16

New

Need Help deciding on a school

Post by brewpub16 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some opinions on which school I should choose for this Fall. I hope to practice International human rights law. I live in LA but would not mind moving (to D.C., for example). I am a non-URM applicant, 3 years out of undergrad working in the legal field. Law School costs are not a top concern, but nonetheless, I am taking it into consideration. Here is my situation thus far:

Loyola LA: Accepted with almost full scholarship
Hastings: Accepted with partial scholarship
UCI, Minnesota, Emory, ASU and W & M: Waitlist
Pending: Pepperdine (probably admit with half scholarship); Davis (probably WL or ding)

If I went with Loyola I would not pay rent/expenses and have almost full tuition payed for. What is making me apprehensive, however, is the prestige of Loyola internationally (Although it has good job placement stats in CA).

Should I choose Hastings, Loyola, or Pepperdine or attempt to squeeze my way out of the WL at the top 25 schools I have listed above? Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks!

guynourmin

Gold

Re: Need Help deciding on a school

Post by guynourmin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Have you looked at the bona fides of people who have the types of job you want? Generally speaking, "international human rights" and "loyola" shouldn't be in the same sentence, but I'm wondering how much you've looked into that.

brewpub16

New

Post by brewpub16 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:17 pm

guybourdin wrote:Have you looked at the bona fides of people who have the types of job you want? Generally speaking, "international human rights" and "loyola" shouldn't be in the same sentence, but I'm wondering how much you've looked into that.
Thanks for your valuable input, but this is the situation and I asked for advice based on the given situation (retaking LSAT is not an option). And to answer your question, indeed I have looked into it.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:28 pm

brewpub16 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Have you looked at the bona fides of people who have the types of job you want? Generally speaking, "international human rights" and "loyola" shouldn't be in the same sentence, but I'm wondering how much you've looked into that.
Thanks for your valuable input, but this is the situation and I asked for advice based on the given situation (retaking LSAT is not an option). And to answer your question, indeed I have looked into it.
Seems like you didn't quite get what Guybourdin was implying so I'll clarify.

Did you see where most of the people that do international human rights law went to school? Do you see Loyola Alumni in that list? He wasn't asking if you looked at it, he was asking if you saw Loyola alumni doing what you want to do.

If you did, then great, go to Loyola. Done.
If you didn't, either rethink your career goals or don't go to Loyola. Done.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:47 pm

brewpub16 wrote:
then my advice is to reevaluate your career goals, because wanting to work in international human rights and wanting to go to either Loyola or Hastings is incompatible. I see two options if you aren't retaking the lsat: go to loyola (free isn't a bad deal!) but don't get your hopes up on intl human rights work, or don't go to law school.

when you looked into the people working in intl human rights work, where did they go to school? how well did they do in school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:56 pm

What do you mean by international human rights? What specific jobs are you talking about?

brewpub16

New

Post by brewpub16 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:01 pm

guybourdin wrote:
brewpub16 wrote:
then my advice is to reevaluate your career goals, because wanting to work in international human rights and wanting to go to either Loyola or Hastings is incompatible. I see two options if you aren't retaking the lsat: go to loyola (free isn't a bad deal!) but don't get your hopes up on intl human rights work, or don't go to law school.

when you looked into the people working in intl human rights work, where did they go to school? how well did they do in school?

Based on my research, the attorneys working intl human rights firms and other organizations come from a vast array of law schools. Some aren't top 50, others are. Naturally, the best attorneys in the field have graduated schools like GULC, Yale, etc. My choice for intl human rights isn't set in stone (i.e. my interests may change while in Law School), but it is my passion and ultimate reason for pursuing law. If I do choose to attend Loyola, I would do my best to transfer after 1L no matter which field of law I choose to pursue.

I should probably rephrase: if I do get admitted off the WL at any of the T25 schools listed, say, Emory/Minn, at sticker price. Should I choose any of these schools over Loyola?

And if came down to schools in CA: Loyola, Hastings, Pepp. Which is these is the wiser choice to make?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:04 pm

brewpub16 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
brewpub16 wrote:

Based on my research, the attorneys working intl human rights firms and other organizations come from a vast array of law schools. Some aren't top 50, others are. Naturally, the best attorneys in the field have graduated schools like GULC, Yale, etc. My choice for intl human rights isn't set in stone (i.e. my interests may change while in Law School), but it is my passion and ultimate reason for pursuing law. If I do choose to attend Loyola, I would do my best to transfer after 1L no matter which field of law I choose to pursue.

I should probably rephrase: if I do get admitted off the WL at any of the T25 schools listed, say, Emory/Minn, at sticker price. Should I choose any of these schools over Loyola?

And if came down to schools in CA: Loyola, Hastings, Pepp. Which is these is the wiser choice to make?
if you don't get intl human rights, would you want to stay in California? Emory or Minnesota at sticker is a really bad idea.

If you can graduate Loyola virtually debt free, want to stay in the area, and would be happy making less than $60,000/yr, then Loyola is my vote.

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Last edited by futureellewoods123 on Tue May 30, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:12 pm

futureellewoods123 wrote:Assuming you get into Pepp, I'd recommend you go there. They've got a global justice program which seems to align with your interests.
does it align with OPs interests because they place well in into human rights work or because they would get to do it for a term or two? Loyola has a yr long International Human Rights Clinic

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:57 pm

brewpub16 wrote: Based on my research, the attorneys working intl human rights firms and other organizations come from a vast array of law schools. Some aren't top 50, others are. Naturally, the best attorneys in the field have graduated schools like GULC, Yale, etc. My choice for intl human rights isn't set in stone (i.e. my interests may change while in Law School), but it is my passion and ultimate reason for pursuing law. If I do choose to attend Loyola, I would do my best to transfer after 1L no matter which field of law I choose to pursue.

Based on your research, name 4-5 organizations or government agencies that would enable you to do international human rights law. Then identify how many graduates from your listed schools get jobs in those organizations/agencies.

None of these schools give you good job options, and you cannot attend anywhere with the plan to transfer. So if you "can't" retake (yes, you can), you shouldn't go to law school at all.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Chances of landing an international human rights gig from any school are minute. None of these schools align with your goals.

Also don't go to any school planning to transfer.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:25 pm

GPA/LSAT?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:35 pm

brewpub16 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
brewpub16 wrote:

My friend, what specific entry level jobs are you wanting to do after law school?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:08 am

I guess we scared him off with our critical thinking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”