Indiana vs. Ohio vs. Hastings vs. Penn State Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
erh2254

New

Indiana vs. Ohio vs. Hastings vs. Penn State

Post by erh2254 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi everyone! I have already created an excel sheet with employment rates, rankings, and clinic opportunities; however, I am still super confused. I can't retake and reapply. Could you all weigh in on my decision-making process? Eh.

These are my options:

1. Penn State-- Dickinson School of Law: I got a full ride + 30,000 housing stipend. I am really considering this option because I am already drowning in debt. They also rose in rankings from 90 to 65??

2. Hastings: with a 75,000 over three years. I live in Northern California and it would be nice to be around family, but I don't know if I can afford living in the bay area.

3. Indiana-- Maurer: 36,000 scholarship over three years. This school has really cool clinic opportunities.

4. Ohio: 36,000 scholarship over three years. Ohio State is the probably the best option in relation to employment outcomes. Columbus is affordable.

I am still waiting on hearing back from UC Davis.

What do you all think? :x

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Indiana vs. Ohio vs. Hastings vs. Penn State

Post by UVA2B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:04 pm

I think you need to clarify your goals for a law degree first. What type of job do you want? Where do you want that job to be?

And when you say already drowning in debt, what exactly does that mean?

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:05 pm

erh2254 wrote:Hi everyone! I have already created an excel sheet with employment rates, rankings, and clinic opportunities; however, I am still super confused. I can't retake and reapply. Could you all weigh in on my decision-making process? Eh.

These are my options:

1. Penn State-- Dickinson School of Law: I got a full ride + 30,000 housing stipend. I am really considering this option because I am already drowning in debt. They also rose in rankings from 90 to 65??

2. Hastings: with a 75,000 over three years. I live in Northern California and it would be nice to be around family, but I don't know if I can afford living in the bay area.

3. Indiana-- Maurer: 36,000 scholarship over three years. This school has really cool clinic opportunities.

4. Ohio: 36,000 scholarship over three years. Ohio State is the probably the best option in relation to employment outcomes. Columbus is affordable.

I am still waiting on hearing back from UC Davis.

What do you all think? :x
the only option that is remotely justifiable is penn state. However, you need to know that it doesn't place outside of the region and content yourself with the likelihood that you'll be making a middling salary (although this is true of all of your other options).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:09 pm

Yeah, career and region goals are essential here.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Not to be flipped, but if you are already drowning in debt, why not just start working to pay off the debt?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:28 pm

None of these schools place well enough into big law (the jobs that will help you stay above water with your "drowning" debt), so my answer is none.

If your debt really isn't that bad, PSU is the only defensible choice here simply bc it is free.

erh2254

New

Post by erh2254 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 pm

UVA2B wrote:I think you need to clarify your goals for a law degree first. What type of job do you want? Where do you want that job to be?

Hi yeah! I could have been more clear! I took out a lot of loans to pay off school during my undergrad years. I am not interested in big law firms. I am not exactly sure what kind of law I want to practice, but I do want to create social change. So, I have looked into public interest, education, environmental, immigration, family, or civil law.

I am a minimalist-- I am not looking to make a lot of money. Yet, I do want to pay off my loans from undergrad. After that, I am fine with making less than a 6 figure salary.

erh2254

New

Post by erh2254 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:27 pm

silenttimer wrote:Not to be flipped, but if you are already drowning in debt, why not just start working to pay off the debt?

lol nah it is cool! i actually thought about it a lot and just decided... I will pay it back after law school. I don't know if it is the right choice, but it is the choice I am sticking with

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:31 pm

erh2254 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:I think you need to clarify your goals for a law degree first. What type of job do you want? Where do you want that job to be?

Hi yeah! I could have been more clear! I took out a lot of loans to pay off school during my undergrad years. I am not interested in big law firms. I am not exactly sure what kind of law I want to practice, but I do want to create social change. So, I have looked into public interest, education, environmental, immigration, family, or civil law.

I am a minimalist-- I am not looking to make a lot of money. Yet, I do want to pay off my loans from undergrad. After that, I am fine with making less than a 6 figure salary.
Seems like your only choice than is Penn State, then. Since you definitely won't be paying off the UG + LS debt any time in the next 20 years otherwise lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:33 pm

erh2254 wrote: I am a minimalist-- I am not looking to make a lot of money. Yet, I do want to pay off my loans from undergrad. After that, I am fine with making less than a 6 figure salary.
You won't be making a six-figure salary from any of these options, so make sure you're being realistic about that.

But if you're going for local PI work in Pennsylvania, the PSU deal isn't bad. Just don't count on making enough money to make significant payments on your existing debt. You'll likely still rely on PSLF, even if you don't take on any additional debt from law school.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Precisely how much debt are you currently in?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm

If your combined debt from undergrad and law school is going to cross into the six-figure range, you're going to struggle to pay that off with the jobs you'll likely get from any of these schools. Interest is no joke, and the longer you take to pay off your debt, the more you're ultimately going to end up paying off.

If your undergrad debt alone is more than $100k, then you need to not go to law school right now, and work on paying that down. That debt is going to financially crush you if you're only making $50-60k a year (which is what you're probably going to get from any of these schools). Even at Penn State, you'll likely have to take out a little bit of money to pay off the rest of cost of living (I'm assuming your $30k is over 3 years), which will just add to that amount.
Last edited by floatie on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

us3rnam3

Bronze

Post by us3rnam3 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:23 pm

Ronan wrote:None of these schools place well enough into big law (the jobs that will help you stay above water with your "drowning" debt), so my answer is none.

If your debt really isn't that bad, PSU is the only defensible choice here simply bc it is free.
+1 don't turn down free things

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”