UVA v Cornell v Retake Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ReadyToStart

New

UVA v Cornell v Retake

Post by ReadyToStart » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:55 pm

Last edited by ReadyToStart on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floatie

Silver

Re: UVA v Cornell v Retake

Post by floatie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:57 pm

I don't think you could go wrong either way here. Those are very manageable debt loads from those schools if you choose not to retake, and if you do retake and score higher, you'll be closer to full ride range (plus the added benefit of not being a K-JD)

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Nothing wrong with dropping a deposit to your top choice and then at least studying for/retaking in June. If you drop a 172 you know that you can pull your offer and reapply CCN and all you've lost is your deposit. That said, if you fall in love with Cornell or UVA you maybe should just attend.
Last edited by AJordan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:00 pm

these aren't bad outcomes. but if you think you can do better on the LSAT then you should give yourself another shot

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:25 pm

with that gpa and potential to do better on the lsat, i think you should retake. You could be going to Uchicago for free with likely 4 more points, not too mention full rides at NYU, Columbia, and a chance at HYS. IF you think you could get a lot of need aid from them, thats hard to pass up,

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:33 pm

AJordan wrote:Nothing wrong with dropping a deposit to your top choice and then at least studying for/retaking in June. If you drop a 172 you know that you can pull your offer and reapply CCN and all you've lost is your deposit. That said, if you fall in love with Cornell or UVA you maybe should just attend.
This. Retake in June, if you do significantly better than apply next cycle. If not, go to the school you deposited it

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:11 pm

I think you have very good offers. UVA is prob a better choice than Cornell due to rank but if personal reasons make Cornell better that's entirely defensible. Sure, you could retake but honestly there are no guarantees (I've got a 4.05 and a 174 and I'm very likely be taking the same offer as you at Cornell as it's my best offer - I have some small negatives on my app personally but it does show that a higher LSAT doesn't automatically equate to better offers and law schools seem to hate reapplicants).

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:29 pm

I'd probably go UVA for the better shot at DC (and the slightly lower cost), but if you'd truly be happier at Cornell then go for it. Totally justifiable.

Have you tried asking for $10-$15k more from Cornell?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”