UT vs WUSTL vs Michigan Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
beanburrito16

New

UT vs WUSTL vs Michigan

Post by beanburrito16 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Hey all,

I've been admitted to UT ($30k), WUSTL ($135k), and Michigan ($0). I currently live in Texas, so UT would be at the resident rate. I think that I can live cheaply and get these costs down slightly, but I've calculated costs of attendance as follows:

UT = $133k
WUSTL = $94k
Michigan = $231k

I'd like to work in NYC biglaw. People that I've spoken to have made it sound like that's doable from UT with good grades and some extra effort. Obviously it would be easier from Michigan, but that amount of debt terrifies me. I've also got ~$57k in loans still from undergrad. According to accesslex.org, I'll have to pay about $3700/month for 10 years towards loans when I graduate if I go to Michigan with their current offer. Given the CoL in NYC, I don't know if this is really feasible.

My main concern is being trapped by my debt for the next 10-20 years. If I can get Michigan to give $15,000/yr, would it make a difference? What about if I go to UT and work in the Texas market instead? I hadn't entertained the idea until now, but would retaking the LSAT be my best option? Idk what I'd do for the next year, as I've already quit my job, but I was PTing 176+ and my actual score came out at 170. What do y'all think?

curry1

Silver

Re: UT vs WUSTL vs Michigan

Post by curry1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm

beanburrito16 wrote:Hey all,

I've been admitted to UT ($30k), WUSTL ($135k), and Michigan ($0). I currently live in Texas, so UT would be at the resident rate. I think that I can live cheaply and get these costs down slightly, but I've calculated costs of attendance as follows:

UT = $133k
WUSTL = $94k
Michigan = $231k

I'd like to work in NYC biglaw. People that I've spoken to have made it sound like that's doable from UT with good grades and some extra effort. Obviously it would be easier from Michigan, but that amount of debt terrifies me. I've also got ~$57k in loans still from undergrad. According to accesslex.org, I'll have to pay about $3700/month for 10 years towards loans when I graduate if I go to Michigan with their current offer. Given the CoL in NYC, I don't know if this is really feasible.

My main concern is being trapped by my debt for the next 10-20 years. If I can get Michigan to give $15,000/yr, would it make a difference? What about if I go to UT and work in the Texas market instead? I hadn't entertained the idea until now, but would retaking the LSAT be my best option? Idk what I'd do for the next year, as I've already quit my job, but I was PTing 176+ and my actual score came out at 170. What do y'all think?
I would either retake or get UT to give you some money, given your sizable UG debt Mich at sticker doesn't make sense. Neither does Mich with 15k off.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:23 pm

What was your gpa? I feel like you should have better offers with a 170.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Lavitz wrote:What was your gpa? I feel like you should have better offers with a 170.
This. Also, potentially negotiate with WUSTL? If you want to be in NYC, I would think UT isn't the best choice. Debt is also not the best choice. If you have such a good lsat, I feel like splitter schools like WUSTL (more than Michigan) will be down to negotiate with you cost wise. I am also not sure of anything anymore. (Disclaimer.)

-Someone who should have heeded the advice on TLS pre-LS / WashU 3L

beanburrito16

New

Post by beanburrito16 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:38 pm

GPA is 3.26

Is it just very difficult to get into NYC from UT? Or is it more that your law school network becomes less valuable if you leave that market?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Not that I have any advice for you, but we're in the exact same situation, so I'll be reading closely lol

blerggggg

New

Post by blerggggg » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Yes, it's hard for UT grads to break into NY. Let's look at the employment numbers (https://law.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploa ... of2015.pdf)

The three most common destinations for UT grads are TX, NY, and CA. 260 graduates stayed in TX, 11 went to NY, and 10 went to CA. Even though UT is highly ranked, it is still mainly a regional school. The NY number could be lower because of self-selection, but it's unclear.

If you're 100 percent committed to NY, your best bet would be either to (1) retake to break into more T-14s and try to rake up more scholarship money or (2) apply to NY regional schools (Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn, etc.) to get the market and substantial (aka full) scholarship.

*disclaimer: 0L*

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Yeah, idk, that GPA is low enough that scholarships would be unpredictable even if you did retake.

I think if you're ok with staying in TX, I'd go with UT, gun hard, and target both NYC and TX firms.

If you really want to be in NYC, I'd probably retake, get some WE, pay off some of that UG debt, and hope for better options next cycle. Even if you have a much better chance at biglaw from Michigan, 300K in debt is no joke, and you'd likely be stuck in biglaw a long time to pay it off. And NYC biglaw is not a job you want to be stuck in.

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:05 pm

UT 1L here.

Anecdotally from what upperclassmen have told me, it's easier in some respects to get NYC biglaw than to get TX biglaw. People who struck out with Texas firms at OCI got jobs at various vault ranked NY firms in the NYC interviewing program. Numbers suggest top 50% gives you a decent shot, depending on interviewing skills.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”