Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 am

I posted this in Reddit if you want to chime in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... h=5c54f425

Here's the text:

Hey all, you may not recognize me, but I'm that guy who gives lots of unsolicited advice and may have ruined some of yalls futures (though I do try my best to help). Now, the tables have turned..

Here's what I got

Emory - near full ride, with lots of ties professionally and through family in Atl, will have low COA

Ut - ~90k, no ties (haven't submitted a reconsideration form yet, so maybe more)

Difference in big law employment is around 7% (can't apply for fed since I'm a former criminal. I'm still waiting on some schools (NYU, UVA, and HLS, but not counting on it at all. Even if I got in, I would likely not go due to $$$)

Main goal is to come back to ATL, but the employment numbers at Emory are borderline abysmal (UT isnt that much better). Also, don't mind Austin for three years, but I'm Asian, so living in Houston/Dallas might be tough (IM SORRY IF THIS IS OFFENSIVE, PLEASE DONT LYNCH ME OR BURN AN EFFIGY IN MY IMAGE. I know people from Texas, y'all are scary as hell) UT has "approximately 65 asians" and open carry laws, so that's a bummer.

Also, end game is to go back and get a PhD in literature, not law.

EDIT: By end game I mean wayyyyyy down the road when I'm like 50. 30 or so years down the line. So please, stop the hate

Any advice is much appreciated.

EDIT: This topic went way off track...I just came to ask a question, and to be honest, I feel so attacked right now.
Last edited by pleasesendhelp on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

floatie

Silver

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Post by floatie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:25 am

If you want to get a PhD in Literature, taking on debt to go to law school is a terrible idea. I won't comment on the practicality of getting a PhD in Literature, but if that's what you want, go for it. Don't waste 3 years in law school.

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:26 am

pleasesendhelp wrote:I posted this in Reddit if you want to chime in.

Here's the text:

Hey all, you may not recognize me, but I'm that guy who gives lots of unsolicited advice and may have ruined some of yalls futures (though I do try my best to help). Now, the tables have turned..

Here's what I got
Emory - near full ride, with lots of ties professionally and through family in Atl, will have low COA

Ut - ~90k, no ties (haven't submitted a reconsideration form yet, so maybe more)

Difference in big law employment is around 7% (can't apply for fed since I'm a former criminal. I'm still waiting on some schools (NYU, UVA, and HLS, but not counting on it at all. Even if I got in, I would likely not go due to $$$)

Main goal is to come back to ATL, but the employment numbers at Emory are borderline abysmal (UT isnt that much better. Also, don't mind Austin for three years, but I'm Asian, so living in Houston/Dallas might be tough. UT has "approximately 65 asians" and open carry laws, so that's a bummer.

I was with you til the bolded above, and was thinking Emory. Now I'm confused though. Why do you want to go to law school if your end goal is a PhD in literature? Why not just go to grad school?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am

half moon wrote:

Here's the text:

Here's what I got

Main goal is to come back to ATL, but the employment numbers at Emory are borderline abysmal (UT isnt that much better. Also, don't mind Austin for three years, but I'm Asian, so living in Houston/Dallas might be tough. UT has "approximately 65 asians" and open carry laws, so that's a bummer.

floatie wrote:
I was with you til the bolded above, and was thinking Emory. Now I'm confused though. Why do you want to go to law school if your end goal is a PhD in literature? Why not just go to grad school?
I get y'all, but the plan goes like this:

Go to law school
Get the Big Law Job and stick to it for as long as possible
Then think about academia

Becoming a legal professor is near impossible, I know, but I want to become a liberal arts prof, doesnt matter where, but I'm thinking wayyyy down to the line when I'm old and grey.

Professor is the end game, but I'll stay in Big Law until they fire me or I make enough money so I dont have to worry about COL while pursuing a PHD.

You've seen rounders right? Professorship is the World Poker Tournament, and Big Law is games with John Malkovich in the basement of a Chinese restaurant.

Basically, I need money, and lots of it to pursue a career in academia without having to eat ramen and feel less shitty about brown nosing professors during my PhD education.

It's my ideal plan, but not my only one.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 am

floatie wrote:If you want to get a PhD in Literature, taking on debt to go to law school is a terrible idea. I won't comment on the practicality of getting a PhD in Literature, but if that's what you want, go for it. Don't waste 3 years in law school.
Debt at both schools will be very low compared to others.
Emory 15k total, we'lll say 75~ for COA+COL
UT 60k COA only, so 120~ for COA+COL total

Both doable within a few years imo IF i get the big law job. PLus, I'm Asian, and I know (have been told) that URM includes asians for employment even though it doesnt for LS admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 am

Why exactly is it tough to live in Houston as an Asian?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:54 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:Why exactly is it tough to live in Houston as an Asian?
I just got very turned off when I received a letter from the Asian society at UT that there are approximately 65 asians out of nearly 1000 students. That's the opposite of diverse. I'm not speaking for Houston though. I have no idea what its like over there. I'm not a person exclusive to asians, but it is a huge part of my identity, and i dont want to relive my elementary through high school years as the token Asian who had to swallow his pride while people made ignorant (though not malignant) racist jokes.

Blue664

New

Post by Blue664 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Please, please do some research on Houston/Texas in general before you make assumptions about its diversity or lack thereof. Yes, the part of TX politics that ends up in national news is extremely cringeworthy, but Texas (and ESPECIALLY Houston) has large Asian/American American populations. The Chinese/Vietnamese neighborhoods are HUGE and have many delicious things (as do many others, which I'm just not as familiar with), and the public schools I went to/visited in both Houston proper and the suburbs had large API cohorts. There are ton of API community organizations that many folks I knew participated in. From the ABA report, 56 API students at UT law out of 295 just for the most recent class year is ~18%....which is higher than the API proportion of the student body than plenty of the other T14. The University of Texas undergrad demographic statistics indicate 17.2% Asian out of 40,000 undergraduates.....there is absolutely no way there are "only 65 Asians" at UT. Someone is selling you some alternative facts.

I'm getting a pretty annoyed about all the ignorant, hypocritical bashing of an entire state (one the largest ones no less, which is basically a microcosm of the entire USA) here on TLS (seen it on many other threads). Sorry to take it out on you, OP. But can we be more considerate and be a big happy TLS family again? :D

[edited to slightly correct statistics]

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Speaking as a 0L, but my impression is that life as an attorney in big law would be pretty much the polar opposite of life as an academic. There are other ways to make money, so my concern is if you're going into this only for financial security rather than out of any desire to be a lawyer, you'll just be setting yourself up for years of hating your job (or not getting big law, and therefore not making much money) without getting closer to your eventual goal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:03 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
floatie wrote:If you want to get a PhD in Literature, taking on debt to go to law school is a terrible idea. I won't comment on the practicality of getting a PhD in Literature, but if that's what you want, go for it. Don't waste 3 years in law school.

Both doable within a few years imo IF i get the big law job. PLus, I'm Asian, and I know (have been told) that URM includes asians for employment even though it doesnt for LS admissions.
That doesn't address the real issue here. So you want to spend 3 years slogging through law school, taking on $75-$120k of debt, then spend 3-4 more years slogging through a job in BL (and that's assuming you're able to make the cut, as BL isn't a sure thing at either school) to pay back the debt for a degree you don't want or need...and then go back to school to get a PhD in Literature??

Pick whatever school you want. Either choice is going to be a huge waste of money and precious years of your life.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:13 pm

floatie wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

That doesn't address the real issue here. So you want to spend 3 years slogging through law school, taking on $75-$120k of debt, then spend 3-4 more years slogging through a job in BL (and that's assuming you're able to make the cut, as BL isn't a sure thing at either school) to pay back the debt for a degree you don't want or need...and then go back to school to get a PhD in Literature??

Pick whatever school you want. Either choice is going to be a huge waste of money and precious years of your life.

Agreed. This makes no sense at all OP.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Here's the text:

Here's what I got

Go to Emory. You aren't built for UT

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Yeah, if you want to be a prof (in literature), go get your PhD and forget law. This is a weird and terrible plan and it's probably not going to help you in academia.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ambrajdurbra131313

New

Post by ambrajdurbra131313 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Emory because ATL and debt

Easterbork

Bronze

Post by Easterbork » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:29 pm

floatie wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

What OP probably unconsciously realizes is that he is never going to be a literature professor. It's a minuscule chance, at least. So go ahead and swing for the fences, but really what he is asking is what is best for his more likely career as a lawyer.

I think it's kind of a push with a slight Emory edge because debt, you are from ATL and have a bizarre aversion to TX.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Blue664 wrote:Please, please do some research on Houston/Texas in general before you make assumptions about its diversity or lack thereof. Yes, the part of TX politics that ends up in national news is extremely cringeworthy, but Texas (and ESPECIALLY Houston) has large Asian/American American populations. The Chinese/Vietnamese neighborhoods are HUGE and have many delicious things (as do many others, which I'm just not as familiar with), and the public schools I went to/visited in both Houston proper and the suburbs had large API cohorts. There are ton of API community organizations that many folks I knew participated in. From the ABA report, 56 API students at UT law out of 295 just for the most recent class year is ~18%....which is higher than the API proportion of the student body than plenty of the other T14. The University of Texas undergrad demographic statistics indicate 17.2% Asian out of 40,000 undergraduates.....there is absolutely no way there are "only 65 Asians" at UT. Someone is selling you some alternative facts.

I'm getting a pretty annoyed about all the ignorant, hypocritical bashing of an entire state (one the largest ones no less, which is basically a microcosm of the entire USA) here on TLS (seen it on many other threads). Sorry to take it out on you, OP. But can we be more considerate and be a big happy TLS family again? :D

[edited to slightly correct statistics]
My info comes from the Asian student association at UT Law who explicitly told me there are 65 asians at UT Law. I'm not talking about the undergrad. If there's only less than 10% at UT, what's the spread gonna be like at Big Law firms.. That was like ONE part of why I wouldn't want to go. You should get your facts straight before attacking me, especially since I wasn't attacking anyone. Maybe I was misinformed, but like I said, my information comes directly from the Asian student association.

I most definitely wasn't attacking UT btw. Just concerned about diversity, that's all.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:52 pm

half moon wrote:Speaking as a 0L, but my impression is that life as an attorney in big law would be pretty much the polar opposite of life as an academic. There are other ways to make money, so my concern is if you're going into this only for financial security rather than out of any desire to be a lawyer, you'll just be setting yourself up for years of hating your job (or not getting big law, and therefore not making much money) without getting closer to your eventual goal.
My goal to be a prof is way down the road, like after ten twenty thirty years of practicing law. As I mentioned earlier, I have no real options but Law, and I do enjoy it based on what little info I have (undergrad law courses).

Is it so wrong to have an end game that's not Law, especially since people say that it's the worst job on the world? I've resigned myself to hating my job, but I'm not part of the generation that thinks along the lines of, "if you love your job you won't work a day of your life". Nah, work is work. Get it done, get paid. I have no illusions about a glamorous high paying job. If y'all are passionate about law, awesome, but I don't have the luxury of doing what I love cause I got people to take care of, so I'm gonna do what I can do make that money, and when I'm old and grey and financially secure, I'll pursue my dream.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Easterbork wrote:
floatie wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

What OP probably unconsciously realizes is that he is never going to be a literature professor. It's a minuscule chance, at least. So go ahead and swing for the fences, but really what he is asking is what is best for his more likely career as a lawyer.

I think it's kind of a push with a slight Emory edge because debt, you are from ATL and have a bizarre aversion to TX.
Thank you. I know it's unlikely, but damn. Where's all the hate coming from? Does everyone Jino they're gonna be partner? Let me dream bitches.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:58 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, if you want to be a prof (in literature), go get your PhD and forget law. This is a weird and terrible plan and it's probably not going to help you in academia.
Don't see how it's weird. I don't want to be poor while I get my PhD and I'm in no rush to get it. I have the opportunity to make money as a lawyer, so what's all the fuss about? Can I only lateral to consulting or IB? Do I have to limit myself to what's typical of other lawyers/lawyer dropouts? I'm planning to get a PhD after like twenty years if I even last that long at a firm. What's wrong with having dreams..

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:59 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
Easterbork wrote:
floatie wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

Thank you. I know it's unlikely, but damn. Where's all the hate coming from? Does everyone Jino they're gonna be partner? Let me dream bitches.
All the "hate" is coming from your idiotic posts that make it look like you want to throw away a significant amount of time and money on a career field you have no real interest in.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:00 pm

PrezRand wrote:

Here's the text:

Here's what I got

Go to Emory. You aren't built for UT
That part you bolded was maybe uncalled for, but for minorities, the struggle is real. But that's a whole other conversation
Last edited by pleasesendhelp on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:01 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
Easterbork wrote:
floatie wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

All the "hate" is coming from your idiotic posts that make it look like you want to throw away a significant amount of time and money on a career field you have no real interest in.
Because I want to be a prof later in life that means I have no interest in being a lawyer? How'd you come to that conclusion? Also, I'm not gonna try to get a PhD as soon as I pay off the debt. It's like a post retirement plan of mine. So like 30ish years from now
Last edited by pleasesendhelp on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:04 pm

floatie wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

I think what's being misunderstood is that I DONT want to be a prof right after LS or paying off my debt. I'm talking years down the line, like 40s or 50s
Last edited by pleasesendhelp on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easterbork

Bronze

Post by Easterbork » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:05 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
Easterbork wrote:
floatie wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

I didn't mean to come across as hateful, sorry I was so harsh. It's totally fine to have a goal that is hard to achieve. I just want to throw a bit of water on it because as a matter of pure probability, you are likely to be looking for a job in your 3L year at either of these two schools, at which point your dreams take a back seat while you look for decent legal employment. These schools both offer good chances at decent legal employment, UT offers a relatively significant chance at big law, but only go to either of these if you would would be satisfied with some sort of run of the mill decent lawyer job, one that may pay alright and lead to a good career, but won't allow you to stack checks for a future life of academia.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:07 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:Because I want to be a prof later in life that means I have no interest in being a lawyer? How'd you come to that conclusion?
Maybe it was when you said that your endgame was to get a PhD and become a literature prof. Or it could be when you said:
pleasesendhelp wrote:I get y'all, but the plan goes like this:

Go to law school
Get the Big Law Job and stick to it for as long as possible
Then think about academia

Becoming a legal professor is near impossible, I know, but I want to become a liberal arts prof, doesnt matter where, but I'm thinking wayyyy down to the line when I'm old and grey.

Professor is the end game, but I'll stay in Big Law until they fire me or I make enough money so I dont have to worry about COL while pursuing a PHD.

You've seen rounders right? Professorship is the World Poker Tournament, and Big Law is games with John Malkovich in the basement of a Chinese restaurant.

Basically, I need money, and lots of it to pursue a career in academia without having to eat ramen and feel less shitty about brown nosing professors during my PhD education.

It's my ideal plan, but not my only one.
Aside from just being generally incoherent, this "plan" makes it quite clear that your only reason for wanting a legal degree is to make money from your biglaw job (not even close to guaranteed at either of these schools) as long as you can "stick it out". You go to law school to be a lawyer, not to make money. If your goal is to be a literature professor, go get your PhD. Your worries about COL are baseless, because any halfway-decent doctorate program pays you a living stipend while you're earning your doctorate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”