Struggling to find a good option Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PDX4343

Silver

Struggling to find a good option

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:46 pm

Although I feel like I have a few decent offers so far this cycle, nothing has really jumped out at me as the obvious choice.

Stats: 173 / 3.15

Schools:
- UVA (sticker)
- GULC (sticker)
- GW (COA 170k)
- UCLA (COA 190k
- Brooklyn (COA 110k)
- Lewis and Clark ( COA 150k)
- UW (COA 220k -- pending any potential scholarship offer, which should be released next week)
- WUSTL (sticker, haven't heard back about scholarships yet) -- ETA: received a scholarship offer -- brings total COA to 150k.

COA includes interest accrued during school and scholarships offered.

I'm leaning towards UCLA since it's near home, I qualify for resident tuition, and it has the best debt to big law ratio of any of my choices. That being said, I wouldn't consider myself big law or bust. I've been living and working in Portland for the last three years and like the idea of staying here. However, 150k seems far too high of a price for Lewis and Clark.

I'm in the process of negotiating higher scholarship offers at most of these schools, but as things stand, what would you do?

ETA: I was just notified by Georgetown that I'm a 'scholarship alternate'. Basically, I have to wait until April 13th before they'll let me know if I'm going to be offered anything.
Last edited by PDX4343 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Struggling to find a good option

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

You need to negotiate with these schools. I was a splitter as well and it will be hard to get $$ out of UVA, but they might give you some.

Georgetown should give you some.

I know UCLA isn't the most generous, but 170k is still way too high for a 173. Did you apply to USC as well?

The rest of the schools should be full tuition with your numbers.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:53 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:You need to negotiate with these schools. I was a splitter as well and it will be hard to get $$ out of UVA, but they might give you some.

I know UCLA isn't the most generous, but 170k is still way too high for a 173. Did you apply to USC as well?

Appreciate the response. I've started the process of negotiating with most of the schools, but haven't heard back about anything yet. I was stupid and didn't think to apply to USC before the cycle deadline. Really kicking myself over that one.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:56 pm

I would take UVA at sticker over Lewis and Clark at almost any scholarship, and you can't really retake in a meaningful way so that blows given your outcomes this year. TBH, UVA looks best here to me, but I would do everything you can to get money from them.

UCLA might be a good choice too if you can get the price down.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:00 pm

poptart123 wrote:I would take UVA at sticker over Lewis and Clark at almost any scholarship, and you can't really retake in a meaningful way so that blows given your outcomes this year. TBH, UVA looks best here to me, but I would do everything you can to get money from them.

UCLA might be a good choice too if you can get the price down.
Yeah really wish I could 're-take' my GPA. I like UVA too but I don't think I can stomach sticker debt anywhere. I'm definitely going to try and get something out of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:07 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:You need to negotiate with these schools. I was a splitter as well and it will be hard to get $$ out of UVA, but they might give you some.

Appreciate the response. I've started the process of negotiating with most of the schools, but haven't heard back about anything yet. I was stupid and didn't think to apply to USC before the cycle deadline. Really kicking myself over that one.
Honestly, if you can, it might be smarter to wait and reapply. Did you apply to the rest of the lower t14? As a splitter it is just all over the place as to what schools will give $, that is why you need to apply to them all. NU is generally the most generous, but even Michigan and Duke have given good $ to splitters recently. And USC would probably give you a lot more $$ than what you've received so far from UCLA

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:09 pm

I'd take UVA at sticker over that UCLA scholly, but actually wouldn't take either prob. Wustl COA will be under $100k and likely your best option. If you like PDX they have to come back with something better! GPA may keep you from a full, but you def should be close. Would consider reapplying too.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:11 pm

See what you get from WUSTL and UW. if you're looking to stay in the PNW, UW is probably a better choice than Lewis and Clark, all else being equal.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:13 pm

You probably will get good money from wustl.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:16 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:

Honestly, if you can, it might be smarter to wait and reapply. Did you apply to the rest of the lower t14? As a splitter it is just all over the place as to what schools will give $, that is why you need to apply to them all. NU is generally the most generous, but even Michigan and Duke have given good $ to splitters recently. And USC would probably give you a lot more $$ than what you've received so far from UCLA
I've thought about reapplying but I think my LSAT might expire after this cycle. I took the February 2013 test and ended up waiting to apply until this cycle (probably not a smart move). I did apply to the rest of the T-14 but got waitlisted at Duke, Mich, and NU.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:21 pm

With your gpa im not sure how valuable a retake would even be. When in the cycle did you apply? Late?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:23 pm

Lol, literally just got a WUSTL offer a few minutes after making this thread. 105k over three years, which makes total COA 150k. Editing original post to reflect that.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:25 pm

sublime wrote:With your gpa im not sure how valuable a retake would even be. When in the cycle did you apply? Late?
Nah I applied most places in either September or October. The only schools I applied late to were Brooklyn and NYU where my app is still pending (probably going to get waitlisted).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 pm

PDX4343 wrote:Lol, literally just got a WUSTL offer a few minutes after making this thread. 105k over three years, which makes total COA 150k. Editing original post to reflect that.
You should still get more from them.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:33 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
sublime wrote:With your gpa im not sure how valuable a retake would even be. When in the cycle did you apply? Late?
Nah I applied most places in either September or October. The only schools I applied late to were Brooklyn and NYU where my app is still pending (probably going to get waitlisted).
Strange. I would have expected better results. Your GPA isn't great, but it is still above a 3

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:48 pm

I feel like this cycle has been harder on folks with lower GPAs. Maybe between grade inflation and all the people taking a whole year off to study for the LAST, USNWR finally decided they will weight uGPA more heavily.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:04 pm

I do think I'm under-performing my numbers slightly with some schools. Based on MyLSN, similar number combinations seem to have gotten more money than I have at at least Brooklyn Law and WUSTL. Hopefully that puts me in a decent spot for negotiations

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 pm

PDX4343 wrote:I do think I'm under-performing my numbers slightly with some schools. Based on MyLSN, similar number combinations seem to have gotten more money than I have at at least Brooklyn Law and WUSTL. Hopefully that puts me in a decent spot for negotiations

Retake. This cycle was borderline shocking for you. You should be getting a lot more scholarship $$$

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:22 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:I do think I'm under-performing my numbers slightly with some schools. Based on MyLSN, similar number combinations seem to have gotten more money than I have at at least Brooklyn Law and WUSTL. Hopefully that puts me in a decent spot for negotiations

Retake. This cycle was borderline shocking for you. You should be getting a lot more scholarship $$$
I don't know how much value retaking a 173 would create? It seems my GPA is holding me back more than anything.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:33 pm

You should not retake - 173 is great. Instead, you should wait a year, polish your apps, and reapply as soon as the cycle opens. Applying earlier should help with the $$ immensely.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:36 pm

trmckenz wrote:You should not retake - 173 is great. Instead, you should wait a year, polish your apps, and reapply as soon as the cycle opens. Applying earlier should help with the $$ immensely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:37 pm

trmckenz wrote:You should not retake - 173 is great. Instead, you should wait a year, polish your apps, and reapply as soon as the cycle opens. Applying earlier should help with the $$ immensely.
I actually did apply to most places in either September or October. The only schools I applied to later than that are Brooklyn and NYU. If I can't work something decent out in scholarship negotiations I may reapply, though.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:38 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
I actually did apply to most places in either September or October. The only schools I applied to later than that are Brooklyn and NYU. If I can't work something decent out in scholarship negotiations I may reapply, though.
Maybe it is a signal that your essays aren't as solid as they could be. Do you feel like you could improve those for next cycle, or is your story super tight?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:50 pm

trmckenz wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
Maybe it is a signal that your essays aren't as solid as they could be. Do you feel like you could improve those for next cycle, or is your story super tight?
Honestly feel like it's pretty tight. I tied in my development as a student / person to a lifelong passion and talked about how that passion led to a unique job, and how it all has led me towards law school. Still, since I'm underperforming it may not have been as strong as I thought it was.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:12 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
trmckenz wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
Honestly feel like it's pretty tight. I tied in my development as a student / person to a lifelong passion and talked about how that passion led to a unique job, and how it all has led me towards law school. Still, since I'm underperforming it may not have been as strong as I thought it was.
Cool. In that case, if you're ready to go to law school now, UCLA sounds like your best option, unless you want to splurge on UVA (I probably would pick UVA, but I am not you).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”