GULC v UCLA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Motionsinlemons

New

GULC v UCLA

Post by Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:53 pm

As of this morning, I had it all figured out. I would go to Georgetown because it WAS higher ranked than UCLA and then move back to LA.
THEN the rankings came out and I am SO torn.

I have lived in California my whole life, I went to USC for undergrad, and I plan on living here for pretty much the rest of my life. So it is very important for me to be able to find a job in LA. Before you say it, I know that I should go to school where I want to work but I mean Georgetown isn't some regional school out in the middle of nowhere(no offense to regional schools out in the middle of nowhere). The reason I had my sights set on Georgetown is that I want to experience a different city and hopefully become a well rounded lawyer having been on both coasts. Every time my friends and family urged me to stay and go to UCLA I would cite the rankings, because that was a huge factor. But now I can't justify rankings for my decision because they are tied. Literally, TIED. I mean It would be one thing if UCLA out ranked GULC but, that is not the case.

I'm afraid that I would be making a terrible decision if I went to GULC in regards to job prospects in LA, and on the other hand if I stayed in LA i'd be missing out on a great opportunity to experience something different and out of my comfort zone.

So, please help a girl out with some perfectly rational reasons to pick one over the other!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: GULC v UCLA

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Which costs more?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:on the other hand if I stayed in LA i'd be missing out on a great opportunity to experience something different and out of my comfort zone.
GULC may be the right choice if it is 20-30k cheaper, but it would only be the right choice because it is so much cheaper. You go to law school to get a job as a lawyer, not to experience something new and get out of your comfort zone. Go work in DC for a year or two before law school if you'd like, or go backpack peru this summer if you want a new experience.

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Which costs more?
As of right now I haven't heard back about scholarships for the both of them. UCLA is cheaper at sticker for me because Im a California resident. Also a anything under a 30k overall difference isn't going to make much of a difference for me in the long run.

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:58 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:on the other hand if I stayed in LA i'd be missing out on a great opportunity to experience something different and out of my comfort zone.
GULC may be the right choice if it is 20-30k cheaper, but it would only be the right choice because it is so much cheaper. You go to law school to get a job as a lawyer, not to experience something new and get out of your comfort zone. Go work in DC for a year or two before law school if you'd like, or go backpack peru this summer if you want a new experience.

Experience as in advocacy, trial, and procedural style not as in some sort of lifestyle change. I should've been more clear.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
As of right now I haven't heard back about scholarships for the both of them. UCLA is cheaper at sticker for me because Im a California resident. Also a anything under a 30k overall difference isn't going to make much of a difference for me in the long run.
please tell us your not planning on paying for either school at sticker with loans.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
Have you asked for money from UCLA or Georgetown? First, ask Georgetown for $, then take that and the acceptance to UCLA for more $.

Rankings don't matter. Employment prospects and COA matter more. And as mentioned, don't go to DC just to experience a different city

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Quit looking at the rankings. Below HYS, the next 10 schools are all peers. Consider regional prestige, and pick the cheapest school in your desired employment region.

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:
please tell us your not planning on paying for either school at sticker with loans.

lol ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Law school isn't the time to try out a new city, going to school on a different coast doesn't make you a well-rounded lawyer, and USNWR rankings are largely meaningless.

If you want to live in and work in California, go to UCLA. If you want to "try out" a new coast by spending some time in DC, do a summer internship.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:01 pm

Regardless of the rankings, GULC and UCLA are basically tied for biglaw/fedclerkship placement - roughly top half of the class. However, since you're LA or bust, the bottom half at UCLA probably gets better connections to that market than the bottom half at GULC.

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:04 pm

floatie wrote:Law school isn't the time to try out a new city, going to school on a different coast doesn't make you a well-rounded lawyer, and USNWR rankings are largely meaningless.

If you want to live in and work in California, go to UCLA. If you want to "try out" a new coast by spending some time in DC, do a summer internship.

The thing is, I've heard that the trial attorneys on the east coast have a different style than west coast attorneys and that is largely because of the legal environment there, so that is the rational behind "trying out" a new city. I want to have a diverse set of trial skills.

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:Regardless of the rankings, GULC and UCLA are basically tied for biglaw/fedclerkship placement - roughly top half of the class. However, since you're LA or bust, the bottom half at UCLA probably gets better connections to that market than the bottom half at GULC.
I would assume so, but any insight as to the top half? Would they take someone at the top 10% of Georgetown over someone at the top 10% of UCLA?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:07 pm

saf18hornet wrote:Quit looking at the rankings. Below HYS, the next 10 schools are all peers. Consider regional prestige, and pick the cheapest school in your desired employment region.
Precisely. The next 10 schools after HYS. Georgetown has fallen from grace, and it is our duty to shun them.

AZ123

New

Post by AZ123 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:10 pm

A random shift in rankings should play absolutely zero role in your decision process. 99 percent of hiring partners are likely unaware this even happened (and if they did know, they probably wouldn't care).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
floatie wrote:Law school isn't the time to try out a new city, going to school on a different coast doesn't make you a well-rounded lawyer, and USNWR rankings are largely meaningless.

The thing is, I've heard that the trial attorneys on the east coast have a different style than west coast attorneys and that is largely because of the legal environment there, so that is the rational behind "trying out" a new city. I want to have a diverse set of trial skills.
A different style isn't the same as different skills. To the extent that the style thing is true, if you go to Georgetown and learn east coast style you're going to have to just relearn the west coast style when you go back and practice there.

So you should probably go to UCLA.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:12 pm

AZ123 wrote:A random shift in rankings should play absolutely zero role in your decision process. 99 percent of hiring partners are likely unaware this even happened (and if they did know, they probably wouldn't care).
Blasphemy!

Seriously, OP: if you'd asked the same question three days ago, you would have been told to go to the cheaper school. You should still do that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
AZ123 wrote:A random shift in rankings should play absolutely zero role in your decision process. 99 percent of hiring partners are likely unaware this even happened (and if they did know, they probably wouldn't care).
Blasphemy!

Seriously, OP: if you'd asked the same question three days ago, you would have been told to go to the cheaper school. You should still do that.

You do make a pretty good point there. I guess you're right. I'll wait for scholarship info and take the path of the least amount of loans.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:

A different style isn't the same as different skills. To the extent that the style thing is true, if you go to Georgetown and learn east coast style you're going to have to just relearn the west coast style when you go back and practice there.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what OP is referencing here. But to the extent there are different "styles", you won't be learning that in law school anyway. As others have said, you can do a summer internship in DC if you want to check out the "legal atmosphere" on the east coast.

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:39 pm

[/quote]Yeah, I'm not really sure what OP is referencing here. But to the extent there are different "styles", you won't be learning that in law school anyway. As others have said, you can do a summer internship in DC if you want to check out the "legal atmosphere" on the east coast.[/quote]

Court room styles. Trial court.
You do learn that in law school if you do the right clinics and get the right extern and internship.
One summer isn't enough to get full breadth of how they do things there.
But, I've decided ill go with the cheaper school.

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:40 pm

quiver wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what OP is referencing here. But to the extent there are different "styles", you won't be learning that in law school anyway. As others have said, you can do a summer internship in DC if you want to check out the "legal atmosphere" on the east coast.
You do learn that in law school if you do the right clinics and get the right extern and internship.
But, I've decided ill go with the cheaper school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure what OP is referencing here. But to the extent there are different "styles", you won't be learning that in law school anyway. As others have said, you can do a summer internship in DC if you want to check out the "legal atmosphere" on the east coast.[/quote]

But, I've decided ill go with the cheaper school.[/quote]
But different styles don't matter because you're going to be expected to practice the way it's done wherever you are.

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:
But, I've decided ill go with the cheaper school.[/quote]
But different styles don't matter because you're going to be expected to practice the way it's done wherever you are.[/quote]

That is true to some extent but from what I've seen of the trial attorneys I would hope to be like they strike a balance between the two and it is very effective, usually. Tbh the whole east coast thing was advice from them which is why I am giving it so much weight in comparison to the benefits of going to a regional LA school.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:58 pm

For the record, you're talking to practicing attorneys here too. I am still unclear on what specifically you're referencing with regard to "style", but more to the point of your thread, just go to the cheaper school.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:39 pm

Why aren't you considering Michigan?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”