Fordham ($$) vs. BC ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
turkeyncheese

New

Fordham ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Post by turkeyncheese » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:32 pm

In at Fordham with $22k/year and BC with $20k/year. I'm from NY and probably would like to work there, though I haven't experienced Boston enough to say with certainty that I wouldn't want to be there instead. By now I've heard back from all of the schools I applied to and while I'll probably stay on the waitlist at GW and GULC, I think the decision will ultimately come down to Fordham and BC. Not sure what kind of law I want to do but as of now I'm interested in health law or potentially big law.

cavalier1138

Re: Fordham ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:39 pm

What is your total estimated COA at each school, and how will you be financing it? GPA/LSAT?

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:07 pm

you reported instead of replying OP
COA:
Fordham: 83,446/year (est. COA on website) -22,000/year (scholarship)*3 = $184,338
Boston College: 70,348/year (est. COA on website) -20,000/year (scholarship)*3 = $151,044

164/3.46.

Planning on taking out loans & help from parents for rent. Will already have accumulated loans from undergrad, probably around $50,000.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Yikes. After seeing the numbers, neither. You'll be in far too much debt to pay off with the kind of salary you're likely to be making out of either school.

Retake and reapply. Bumping that score up a few points would significantly increase your money at these schools and give you some better options in general.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Yeah, neither of these are schools that you want to be over $200k in debt for (including your undergrad debt) - IMO no school is worth that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

turkeyncheese

New

Post by turkeyncheese » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 pm

I've taken it twice already and received a 164 both times. The scholarship $ is pre-negotiation, so it's possible that I'll be receiving a little bit more money.. I majored in engineering in undergrad and really don't want to work for a year before going to law school especially since I probably would only be able to find engineering jobs.

celticsfan

New

Post by celticsfan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:48 pm

turkeyncheese wrote:I've taken it twice already and received a 164 both times. The scholarship $ is pre-negotiation, so it's possible that I'll be receiving a little bit more money.. I majored in engineering in undergrad and really don't want to work for a year before going to law school especially since I probably would only be able to find engineering jobs.
If you really want a shot at paying those loans off you'd probably need to get biglaw. Your chances are slightly better for that at BC than Fordham, which is also the cheaper option.

Everyone will tell you to retake as they always do. But if you're dead set on choosing one of these and going this year, I'd go BC

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:56 pm

Was BU on your list? If health law is remotely an interest BU has a great program, but also with your numbers and goals, pitting BU/BC/Fordham against each other for scholarship would be the right move. 200K is hefty debt for a single income. As far as job chances, BU/BC are about 75% employed, Fordham is only about 65%. All only give you about a 1 in 3 shot at big law, with BC being the highest at 38%. So take that as you will and decide if 200K is worth those odds.

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm

FWIW BC does not seem to be negotiating this cycle (do not know if they ever do). But if you are counting on bumping up the $$$ at BC you might need to consider you wont get any more dough. That being said #s seem to indicate solid prospects within Boston for BC alum so if you think you would like to work Boston BL then go BC. If you want to work in NYC then Fordham is probably the place you need to be. I know Fordham is more expensive but the cost of living/working in a city that you don't like could be more miserable than living frugally for the extra years it takes to cover debt (depending on your disposition)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:25 pm

turkeyncheese wrote:I've taken it twice already and received a 164 both times. The scholarship $ is pre-negotiation, so it's possible that I'll be receiving a little bit more money.. I majored in engineering in undergrad and really don't want to work for a year before going to law school especially since I probably would only be able to find engineering jobs.
Take it a third time or change your goals.

There are lots of things in life you won't want to do, but suck it up and make the right choice for your future. This is far too much debt to take on at either school.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:41 am

Yikes over $200k in total debt for these schools? Don't do it.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:41 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Take it a third time or change your goals.

There are lots of things in life you won't want to do, but suck it up and make the right choice for your future. This is far too much debt to take on at either school.
Basically this.

Also I don't really understand what your goals are, but experience working as an engineer would go a long ways towards helping you secure a job at OCI. Although to be fair, your engineering degree would also help quite a bit if you are at all interested in IP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”