Paying Full Sticker if... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
waldorf

Gold

Paying Full Sticker if...

Post by waldorf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Last edited by waldorf on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Re: Paying Full Sticker if...

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:25 pm

there is a big difference between paying sticker at a t14 and paying sticker at indiana tech (rip ft wayne). context matters here

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:there is a big difference between paying sticker at a t14T6, maybe, and paying sticker at indiana tech (rip ft wayne). context matters here

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:there is a big difference between paying sticker at a t14T6, maybe, and paying sticker at indiana tech (rip ft wayne). context matters here
strong edit, thats legit

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Also $150k seems low for sticker these days.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:16 pm

i think it's worse that you're going to pony up 150k instead of your parents.
- at least your parents won't have the loss in income in giving up a job to attend law school like you will
- if you've already got 150k in savings, you're clearly already successful at what you're doing so you have a higher opportunity cost than the KJD trust fund baby who has no career prospects
- if you're successful enough to save up 150k while working now, you can delay law school by another year and study for the LSAT so that you won't have to pay sticker.

basically the only time this your scenario becomes defensible is HYS at sticker v. CCN at $$ [and you've topped out your LSAT]

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Last edited by waldorf on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Last edited by waldorf on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Monty Brewster

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Almost certainly not, but also I don't really get the idea of a "dream law school." What are your career goals?

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:23 pm

I would absolutely pay sticker for Stanford (my dream law school), because, well, a Stanford degree opens up so many doors that debt won't be too big of a problem in the long run. With the details you've provided, I would say that if paying sticker really is an option you're considering, then I'd look very carefully at how well the school does with placement at large law firms, because that will be your way out from six figures deep in debt.

Alternatively, since you've said that your test day score was noticeably lower than what you've been PTing at, you could also wait until you get a better LSAT score that you're satisfied with, so that paying sticker becomes less likely of a possibility.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 pm

armc808 wrote:I would absolutely pay sticker for Stanford (my dream law school), because, well, a Stanford degree opens up so many doors that debt won't be too big of a problem in the long run.
This is where I personally disagree. I'd rather go to Michigan, Virginia at $$$ or CCN at $$ than pay sticker at HYS, but I'm also debt-adverse and I consider my undergrad (Northwestern) to be my dream school. I also don't believe HYS open up more doors in the long-run (unless we are talking about SCOTUS). The matter of the fact is that for the most part the best students go to the best schools (hence Yales 85%+ yield rate). Logically, if the best students are going to the best schools, then the best schools are going to have the best outcomes. This is all to say that I don't think the education in the T14 varies in quality and that if you're a superstar, you're going to get into those magical doors regardless of where you went in the T14 (or even a few schools outside of the T14). Yale doesn't have more SCOTUS clerks than Georgetown, because SCOTUS has more slots saved for Yale. Yale is simply filled with superstars, while maybe the top 10% of Georgetown are superstars.

Just my $0.02.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Last edited by waldorf on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:10 pm

Last edited by waldorf on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:21 pm

sjs12 wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:Almost certainly not, but also I don't really get the idea of a "dream law school." What are your career goals?
I responded to your question in my last post.

Dream school = I have a family connection, I absolutely love the city (grew up nearby), everyone I know there loves it, will be way more academically challenging than the state school I went to for undergrad, and honestly a million other things that would take forever for me to list. It's also by far the best school I've gotten into so far, and with my current LSAT score I'm not sure I'll get in anywhere better. From the moment I stepped on campus as a young girl, I knew I wanted to go there, and when I visited this fall, it immediately felt like home to me.

I know, that all sounds incredibly cheesy and idealistic. Sorry.

I'm going to dare to assume that literally all law school experiences at top schools will be more academically challenging, regardless of where you went for UG.

If I were you, I'd hope for more acceptances WITH $$$ at peer schools and try to negotiate some money from this dream school you speak of.

I'm also a bit confused about what you mean by it being something you can afford. Are you talking attending at sticker price but ending up with no debt because you wouldn't need to take out loans and you'd still be able to live comfortably?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:24 pm

sjs12 wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:Almost certainly not, but also I don't really get the idea of a "dream law school." What are your career goals?

Dream school = I have a family connection, I absolutely love the city (grew up nearby), everyone I know there loves it, will be way more academically challenging than the state school I went to for undergrad, and honestly a million other things that would take forever for me to list. It's also by far the best school I've gotten into so far, and with my current LSAT score I'm not sure I'll get in anywhere better. From the moment I stepped on campus as a young girl, I knew I wanted to go there, and when I visited this fall, it immediately felt like home to me.

The only things that should matter in a law school should be its cost and its odds of getting you the job you want. If you're independently wealthy then cost matters less (but still ought to matter to you). If you're not wealthy than you should be very worried about taking out hundreds of thousands of dollars in non dischargeable debt to attend a school that doesn't give you great odds of getting a job that would allow you to service that debt.

What are your career goals? Big law, small firm, public interest?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:45 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
sjs12 wrote:

The only things that should matter in a law school should be its cost and its odds of getting you the job you want. If you're independently wealthy then cost matters less (but still ought to matter to you). If you're not wealthy than you should be very worried about taking out hundreds of thousands of dollars in non dischargeable debt to attend a school that doesn't give you great odds of getting a job that would allow you to service that debt.

OP said this in a previous reply:
"By afford it, I mean I can pay cash and I don't have to take out any loans.

Short term career goals: big law in the city the school is in with a firm I have a family connection to (also open to other firms, of course).
Long term career goals: eventually own my own practice."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:51 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
armc808 wrote:I would absolutely pay sticker for Stanford (my dream law school), because, well, a Stanford degree opens up so many doors that debt won't be too big of a problem in the long run.
This is where I personally disagree. I'd rather go to Michigan, Virginia at $$$ or CCN at $$ than pay sticker at HYS, but I'm also debt-adverse and I consider my undergrad (Northwestern) to be my dream school. I also don't believe HYS open up more doors in the long-run (unless we are talking about SCOTUS). The matter of the fact is that for the most part the best students go to the best schools (hence Yales 85%+ yield rate). Logically, if the best students are going to the best schools, then the best schools are going to have the best outcomes. This is all to say that I don't think the education in the T14 varies in quality and that if you're a superstar, you're going to get into those magical doors regardless of where you went in the T14 (or even a few schools outside of the T14). Yale doesn't have more SCOTUS clerks than Georgetown, because SCOTUS has more slots saved for Yale. Yale is simply filled with superstars, while maybe the top 10% of Georgetown are superstars.

Just my $0.02.
I'm not saying you wouldn't have many options available by going to CCN or UVA, they are all excellent schools; however I think it's undeniable that a HYS degree opens up pretty much anything you want--including SCOTUS, which does mean a lot to me--on a level that schools below HYS can't quite match, and that's what I was getting at. They are the considered the best schools in the country (and the world) for a reason, and no matter how one slices it, a Stanford degree on its own carries a bit more weight than a Northwestern degree on its own. It's not a knock on Northwestern, but it is to say that Stanford is a very, very respected school. Personally speaking, Stanford checks off every single box I could possibly think of for a school, and I think I would really enjoy my time there, hence why I'd attend even if I had to pay sticker and accumulate some debt in the short run.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Last edited by waldorf on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:59 pm

Last edited by waldorf on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:05 am

sjs12 wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
sjs12 wrote:

I agree that's by far the most important, but my happiness does matter to me as well, and I don't want to be totally miserable for three years at a school I don't love in a city or town that I hate.
No one is saying you should.

They're saying that if you go to this school, you should retake the LSAT and get a full ride, which will also make you happier.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:09 am

sjs12 wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
sjs12 wrote:

I agree that's by far the most important, but my happiness does matter to me as well, and I don't want to be totally miserable for three years at a school I don't love in a city or town that I hate.
Would saying at least what school you're referring to give you away? Is it the only school in the area? I totally get not wanting to be in a city you don't like for three years. I have quite mixed feelings about where I attended UG. But I feel like you're almost being TOO vague to get advice lol.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:12 am

Last edited by waldorf on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:13 am

sjs12 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sjs12 wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
sjs12 wrote:

Would saying at least what school you're referring to give you away? Is it the only school in the area? I totally get not wanting to be in a city you don't like for three years. I have quite mixed feelings about where I attended UG. But I feel like you're almost being TOO vague to get advice lol.
It's the only decent school in my state, and the only other good schools in the entire geographical area (Midwest), I'm not sure I could get into (lower T14), though I did apply.
I think you should wait and see what happens with the other schools before you decide on paying 100% out of pocket.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:21 am

Last edited by waldorf on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”