UVA for NYC biglaw Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Gold

UVA for NYC biglaw

Post by 20170322 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:37 pm

Hey, all!

So, I was recently admitted to UVA and I'm planning to attend. However, there's one nagging fear I have. Originally I was gunning for DC biglaw, but my SO has made it clear that their job will require them moving to NYC long term. Is UVA a foolish choice if I want to keep NYC open as an option?

Thanks!

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: UVA for NYC biglaw

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:41 pm

ac8876a

New

Post by ac8876a » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:42 pm

not at all, if you look the numbers they place more people in New york than even in DC.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:48 pm

SweetTort wrote:Hey, all!

So, I was recently admitted to UVA and I'm planning to attend. However, there's one nagging fear I have. Originally I was gunning for DC biglaw, but my SO has made it clear that their job will require them moving to NYC long term. Is UVA a foolish choice if I want to keep NYC open as an option?

Thanks!
It is definitely substantiallly easier to land nyc biglaw than DC biglaw from UVA or any other T14.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:29 pm

NYC is available to the majority of the class. I know people with around a 3.0 with multiple callbacks in NYC. That is like bottom 10%. Other people strike out because they're DC or bust, or some other smaller market or bust.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:31 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:NYC is available to the majority of the class. I know people with around a 3.0 with multiple callbacks in NYC. That is like bottom 10%. Other people strike out because they're DC or bust, or some other smaller market or bust.
Ok, so if I get median pwned, NYC may be open?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:40 pm

SweetTort wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:NYC is available to the majority of the class. I know people with around a 3.0 with multiple callbacks in NYC. That is like bottom 10%. Other people strike out because they're DC or bust, or some other smaller market or bust.
Ok, so if I get median pwned, NYC may be open?
It's way more likely to be open than DC.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:41 pm

Last edited by curry1 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:36 pm

Dude so you're choosing UVA scholly over a (fairly likely) sticker at Harvard?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:38 pm

galeatus wrote:Dude so you're choosing UVA scholly over a (fairly likely) sticker at Harvard?
Yeeee.

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:43 pm

SweetTort wrote:
galeatus wrote:Dude so you're choosing UVA scholly over a (fairly likely) sticker at Harvard?
Yeeee.
I mean, I can see both sides of the argument but imho Harvard is still well worth the investment.

Plus, with your numbers I'm sure you can get $$$ at NYU as well, which is kind of a middle ground and arguably a better choice than UVA?

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:44 pm

galeatus wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Yeeee.
I mean, I can see both sides of the argument but imho Harvard is still well worth the investment.

Plus, with your numbers I'm sure you can get $$$ at NYU as well, which is kind of a middle ground and arguably a better choice than UVA?
I mean, I'm comfortable with my decision. I won't pay a cent of tuition at UVA, will have low cost of living, and will thoroughly enjoy my time. Plus, one of my major goals is to clerk, and UVA is great for that.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 pm

galeatus wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Yeeee.

The dude wants NYC big law. That is a very attainable outcome from UVA. It makes absolutely zero sense to take out 300k in loans just to get the same job, just so you diploma says HLS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:50 pm

SweetTort wrote:
galeatus wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Yeeee.

I mean, I'm comfortable with my decision. I won't pay a cent of tuition at UVA, will have low cost of living, and will thoroughly enjoy my time. Plus, one of my major goals is to clerk, and UVA is great for that.
Fair point, I think enough people have tried in Waiters to talk you into going the other way already so I won't anymore.

In this case, (as per https://www.lstreports.com/schools/uva/jobs/location/) UVA sounds pretty damn sweet for NYC Biglaw

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:56 pm

galeatus wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Yeeee.

Would strongly disagree with this. a Dillard is one of the better outcomes available. If Tort happens to land Y or a full at Columbia two months down the line, then maybe he can rethink his decision, but outside of that I really think taking out even 100k for NYU or 200+ for H are probably a bad idea considering the goals.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:04 pm

guybourdin wrote:
galeatus wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Yeeee.

Would strongly disagree with this. a Dillard is one of the better outcomes available. If Tort happens to land Y or a full at Columbia two months down the line, then maybe he can rethink his decision, but outside of that I really think taking out even 100k for NYU or 200+ for H are probably a bad idea considering the goals.
Agreed with this. I think that other dude is a 0L, so forgive his idiocy

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:06 pm

guybourdin wrote:
galeatus wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Yeeee.

Well said.

I shall stop giving out bad advice :oops:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:08 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
galeatus wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Yeeee.

Agreed with this. I think that other dude is a 0L, so forgive his idiocy
Let's not be mean, everyone has diff opinions.

But yeah, I'm v debt averse, and other than clerking and maybe doing govt down the line I have pretty generic goals, so UVA on a Dillard makes sense. Plus, and this is an unimportant consideration, I LOVED the school. I think I will be very happy there, which will hopefully translate into better grades.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:54 am

It's not mean; it would be flatly idiotic to take $300k in loans to go to one top school when you can go to a different top school that provides similar options for free.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”