What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ForumCommissar

New

What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Post by ForumCommissar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:35 pm

I grew up in North Shore, and have, upon graduation, what I expect to be anywhere from a 3.75 GPA to a 3.8 GPA. I got a 160 on my diagnostic and let's assume I can get a 175 after 10 months of study.

I know the lower T14 would be within my reach, but Chicago is a rather big if, and Northwestern may want work experience first. Most of my family lives in the Chicago area thus that is where all of my ties are.

Say I went to somewhere like Cornell or another lower T14 school not near Chicago. Could I still score a big-law job there?

grades??

Silver

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Post by grades?? » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:43 pm

Thats a big assumption. I hope you get there but remember, less than half of 1 percent of test takers get a 175. It is by no means guaranteed that you get even near 175. Until you have an lsat score that will get you into a t14 (which you currently don't), then this shouldn't be a worry. Just worry about the lsat and crush it.

ForumCommissar

New

Post by ForumCommissar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:47 pm

grades?? wrote:Thats a big assumption. I hope you get there but remember, less than half of 1 percent of test takers get a 175. It is by no means guaranteed that you get even near 175. Until you have an lsat score that will get you into a t14 (which you currently don't), then this shouldn't be a worry. Just worry about the lsat and crush it.
Don't worry lol, if I can't get a good LSAT this question doesn't even matter because I won't be going to law school. I was just wondering while I had time to spare.

EDIT: To further add, I also have plans if I get a 170 or so, 175 is on the optimistic side.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:26 am

ForumCommissar wrote:
grades?? wrote:Thats a big assumption. I hope you get there but remember, less than half of 1 percent of test takers get a 175. It is by no means guaranteed that you get even near 175. Until you have an lsat score that will get you into a t14 (which you currently don't), then this shouldn't be a worry. Just worry about the lsat and crush it.
Don't worry lol, if I can't get a good LSAT this question doesn't even matter because I won't be going to law school. I was just wondering while I had time to spare.

EDIT: To further add, I also have plans if I get a 170 or so, 175 is on the optimistic side.
Listen I appreciate your optimism. As a 175+ scorer, I know the legit work it takes to get there. Less wondering while I had time to spare, more studying the lsat. For example, I took every single lsat that had been released at the time (like 1-74 or so) 3 times. In full testing conditions. It took me a full year. To get the 170+ mark, it takes a long time and a lot of studying.

ForumCommissar

New

Post by ForumCommissar » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:38 am

grades?? wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:

Listen I appreciate your optimism. As a 175+ scorer, I know the legit work it takes to get there. Less wondering while I had time to spare, more studying the lsat. For example, I took every single lsat that had been released at the time (like 1-74 or so) 3 times. In full testing conditions. It took me a full year. To get the 170+ mark, it takes a long time and a lot of studying.
Well thanks for that. I'm not trying to say that it doesn't a lot of hard work. But I'm not about to take a PT 30 minutes before bed, a year before the test. I already practice several hours a day.

I'm sure you worked very hard, congratulations. I am fully aware of the work required, and you are taking a little too much about my life from a 3 sentence post that took a minute to make.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:05 am

I would target UChicago with a sizable scholarship as your top choice. or NU.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:21 am

Don't put the cart before the horse

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:40 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:10 pm

Pretty pointless thought exercise at this point, but if you score a 175, you should just go to Chicago and stop thinking about it - there is no better option. imo, its unlikely you get into Cornell but don't get into Northwestern, so if you don't get into Chicago, go there (they care about work experience, but still something like a quarter of their class don't have any). If you want to be in Chicago, there's very little reason to leave.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Orion311

Bronze

Post by Orion311 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:31 pm

grades?? wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:

Anecdotes aren't necessarily that helpful. I can provide my own story which is the complete opposite. My diagnostic was barely higher than OPs (162) and then I browsed the games bible and took a PT roughly every 2 days for the next 5 weeks and was in the high 170s (176-180 for my last several PTs). Ended up with a 175 on the real thing.

OP, you'll have a better idea of what's realistic after you read a guide/bible or two and then reassess. I don't think it's unreasonable to be considering options that are well within the realm of possibility (options that involve a score in the 170s, assuming your score jumps notably after you're not literally look at the test cold).

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Yes, assuming you're above median at Cornell or similar school. Just invent a good "Why Chicago" and, given your ties, you'll get a jerb.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 am

You've got the ties, so now it's just school. If you're Chicago or bust, I'd say Chi > HYS > NU > C+N. If you actually hit a 175, you're golden, but don't underestimate the work to get there.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:27 pm

You can check the T14 schools that place more students in Chicago on lstscorereports.com

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ForumCommissar

New

Post by ForumCommissar » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Thank you all for your help and support. It's definitely be good and useful for me to consider in the future where I should go, at the University of Chicago is what I should be gunning for.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:50 am

Joscellin wrote:You've got the ties, so now it's just school. If you're Chicago or bust, I'd say Chi > HYS > NU > C+N. If you actually hit a 175, you're golden, but don't underestimate the work to get there.
TCR

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:51 am

jbagelboy wrote:I would target UChicago with a sizable scholarship as your top choice. The chicago market can be tough even coming from Northwestern, and certainly from other lower T14 schools.
GPA's not good enough for that. Get a 170 and go to NU for a full ride.

Get your GPA to a 3.8 though.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:25 am

star fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I would target UChicago with a sizable scholarship as your top choice. The chicago market can be tough even coming from Northwestern, and certainly from other lower T14 schools.

Why do you say GPA isn't good enough? What GPA would be good enough in your opinion?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:09 pm

scottyboy wrote:
star fox wrote:

Why do you say GPA isn't good enough? What GPA would be good enough in your opinion?
Look at UChicago's median admission GPA. You're not gonna a sizable scholarship if you're below that median.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:16 pm

star fox wrote:
scottyboy wrote:
star fox wrote:

Look at UChicago's median admission GPA. You're not gonna a sizable scholarship if you're below that median.
Depends on what you mean by sizable, and to a lesser extent whether you qualify for anything need based. Chicago can be quite generous--and I mean up to 1/2--at the 3.8/172+ mark, which is still below their absurd median gpa.

blerggggg

New

Post by blerggggg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:22 pm

I'm curious why nobody is really recommending UMich in this thread. I know UMich's law placement is less than stellar across the country these days, but so much so that it can barely break Chicago? Even Northwestern has a better chance of the Chicago market now? Wow.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:33 pm

blerggggg wrote:I'm curious why nobody is really recommending UMich in this thread. I know UMich's law placement is less than stellar across the country these days, but so much so that it can barely break Chicago? Even Northwestern has a better chance of the Chicago market now? Wow.
Well, NU is a T14 in Chicago. Has Michigan ever outplayed NU there?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:34 pm

idk, new trier?

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:44 pm

Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
star fox wrote:
scottyboy wrote:
star fox wrote:

Depends on what you mean by sizable, and to a lesser extent whether you qualify for anything need based. Chicago can be quite generous--and I mean up to 1/2--at the 3.8/172+ mark, which is still below their absurd median gpa.

OP: UChicago will be the best bet, if you hit those numbers you will be solid.

Now a side note, I always wanted to ask why it is the case the UChi has the highest median GPA. I know "why" but I do not know what their purpose is. Is it perhaps, a different admissions philosophy? Or perhaps a desire to be set apart? And is that media GPA really that absurd?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:34 pm

LeDique wrote:idk, new trier?
dropped to #22 in the usnwr rankings (whoa!). Hopefully OP has the grades to transfer to Stevenson...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”