What constitutes a "tie"? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

What constitutes a "tie"?

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:19 pm

I keep hearing TLSers using this term when giving advice on picking regional schools.

My immediately assumption is that they are referring to connections (knowing someone in the region that can help you get the job). Am I correct in this? This worries me because I will most likely head to a completely foreign region (lived in the west coast all my life, will be attending law school in New England, no family or friends there) and I am willing to stay and work in the region after the law school but having no ties there is a huge concern for me.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Re: What constitutes a "tie"?

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:59 pm

A tie is not necessarily someone that can get you job. A tie is more along the lines of the other things you said like growing up in the area and having family there. Ties can be thought of as things that keep you "tied" to that area so employers are more confident that you won't just pack up and move across the country one day.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:02 pm

WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:A tie is not necessarily someone that can get you job. A tie is more along the lines of the other things you said like growing up in the area and having family there. Ties can be thought of as things that keep you "tied" to that area so employers are more confident that you won't just pack up and move across the country one day.
How can I demonstrate this to my future employers if I'm not from the region? Would a simple "I love this place and plan to retire here" suffice?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:05 pm

A tie is something that you can use to counteract their (somewhat outdated) assumption that everyone will immediately flee to NYC if they don't have ties, no matter how desirable their market is. Growing up somewhere is the best tie, obviously. Spouse getting a job there is good. Other ties: Going to school there, having extended family there, spouse's family, etc.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:30 pm

CPA,

May I ask why you are moving across the country to attend LS in a region that you have never been before? My personal experience when I moved to New England is that it is difficult to meet people - many locals who stay to themselves/friend group (I can't tell you how many times I have been asked what high school I attended over 10 years ago)... Maybe law school will present a different environment for all of this. Best of luck adjusting to the area. Just moving to an area that you have never been before for LS is quite risky - unless if it is Harvard or Yale that you are coming to NE for :-)

I've met some awesome people up here over the past 5 years, but it took a lot more effort than it did when I moved down south for a bit.

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:23 pm

A "tie" is an explanation for why you are not a flight risk, being especially important in smaller market

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”