Top Schools for working in PA or Atlanta Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bmathers

Silver

Re: Top Schools for working in PA or Atlanta

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:If you are public service oriented and want a full ride there will be no better place than Dickinson. They give out full rides like it's candy(I got one with a 3.2/158), they do a damn good job with public service, and the alumni network is extremely involved in helping us out.
Really?!?! Wow. I am going into LS with an open-mind and will develop a better idea of what I want to focus in.... but, right now, if I had to guess I would lean towards disability law. Does that qualify as PS-oriented?

immalawyer

New

Post by immalawyer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:24 pm

bmathers wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:If you are public service oriented and want a full ride there will be no better place than Dickinson. They give out full rides like it's candy(I got one with a 3.2/158), they do a damn good job with public service, and the alumni network is extremely involved in helping us out.
Really?!?! Wow. I am going into LS with an open-mind and will develop a better idea of what I want to focus in.... but, right now, if I had to guess I would lean towards disability law. Does that qualify as PS-oriented?
Disability law? What is that? Like employment disability? Workers Comp? PI?

No. PS oriented is most things outside of private practice. Legal services, public defender, DA, etc.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:31 pm

immalawyer wrote:
bmathers wrote:

No. PS oriented is most things outside of private practice. Legal services, public defender, DA, etc.
Disability rights, ADA stuff, employment discrimination, etc.

I am probably shooting more for private practice than public sector stuff. Among other things, the pay in private practice seems to be substantially better.

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:36 pm

bmathers wrote:
immalawyer wrote:
bmathers wrote:

I am probably shooting more for private practice than public sector stuff. Among other things, the pay in private practice seems to be substantially better.
Well, generally that's true because they work more. However, most small firms don't pay well. I wouldn't bank on making good money just because you're in private practice.

If you want to do private practice in PA, obviously Penn is your best choice but Nova for free is a good option.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:39 pm

ronanOgara wrote:
bmathers wrote:
immalawyer wrote:
bmathers wrote:

Well, generally that's true because they work more. However, most small firms don't pay well. I wouldn't bank on making good money just because you're in private practice.

If you want to do private practice in PA, obviously Penn is your best choice but Nova for free is a good option.
Understood. My father has a small practice in central PA and usually starts new associates at around $50k/yr. Until you become a partner (or take on the horrors of Biglaw), pay does not seem too substanital.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

immalawyer

New

Post by immalawyer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:41 pm

bmathers wrote:
immalawyer wrote:
bmathers wrote:

Then no. Employment law, which is what you are talking about, is not public service oriented. But I don't know how law schools track this. If you're open to any type of law, draft a public service oriented cover letter and try it out. I don't think they can come back 3 years later when you end up working private practice and say we want our money back. ...But, I don't know, I may be wrong.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:55 pm

immalawyer wrote:
bmathers wrote:
immalawyer wrote:
bmathers wrote:

Then no. Employment law, which is what you are talking about, is not public service oriented. But I don't know how law schools track this. If you're open to any type of law, draft a public service oriented cover letter and try it out. I don't think they can come back 3 years later when you end up working private practice and say we want our money back. ...But, I don't know, I may be wrong.
One of the former partners at my father's firm (private practice) is a Dickinson Law alum -- he probably graduated LS 15, or so, years ago? Even if Dickinson is PS oriented and lean PS, it's not like they forbid alums from working private (another former partner, now judge, is a Widener alum). Rather, it just sounds like they have a lot and a good reputation to help you break into the public sector. Granted, the law scene has dramatically changed in the recent past.

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:09 am

For Central PA Dickinson Law.

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:12 am

bmathers wrote:
immalawyer wrote:
bmathers wrote:
immalawyer wrote:
bmathers wrote:

One of the former partners at my father's firm (private practice) is a Dickinson Law alum -- he probably graduated LS 15, or so, years ago? Even if Dickinson is PS oriented and lean PS, it's not like they forbid alums from working private (another former partner, now judge, is a Widener alum). Rather, it just sounds like they have a lot and a good reputation to help you break into the public sector. Granted, the law scene has dramatically changed in the recent past.
Most of the Dickinson grads I know are in private practice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:38 am

As a follow up, I went to the McNees (substantial firm in central PA) website and looked at the schools for the attorneys
whose last names began with A, B, or C. Theirs schools were:

Dickinson-11
Pitt-2
Widener-2
Arkansas-1
Dayton-1
Denver-1
Drexel-1
Duquesne-1
Gtown-1
Penn-1
Temple-1
Tulane-1'
W&M-1

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:47 am

For Atlanta, I was going to suggest you look at Mercer with a 158/3.3 because they offer quite a few more-than-full-tuition scholarships (Woodruff scholarship is $5,000 annual stipend plus laptop, maintained simply with good academic standing). The employment outcomes are similar to GSU according to Law School Transparency, and depending whether you have residency in Georgia, Mercer could be substantially cheaper.

Then I read this:
bmathers wrote:My father has a small practice in central PA
Why leave PA? I'd probably stay in PA unless you're looking at a T14 or a more-than-full-ride scholarship (which will be a long shot with a 3.3 GPA even at a school like Mercer).

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Does Dickinson have much weight in Philly, or are they mostly restricted to Central PA? I put in an application for them

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:24 pm

FamilyLawEsq wrote:As a follow up, I went to the McNees (substantial firm in central PA) website and looked at the schools for the attorneys
whose last names began with A, B, or C. Theirs schools were:

Dickinson-11
Pitt-2
Widener-2
Arkansas-1
Dayton-1
Denver-1
Drexel-1
Duquesne-1
Gtown-1
Penn-1
Temple-1
Tulane-1'
W&M-1
Thanks for this. I was just checking out the D's on their site to get a feel of their schools as well, and found an Akron Law alum -- the Zips are everywhere :D (a bit of an inside joke, I guess)

Also found a Nova grad in the D's... as well as a GTown, GWU, and Harvard grads. Most of the OOS schools seem to have graduated 15+ years ago, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:32 pm

bmathers wrote:Does Dickinson have much weight in Philly, or are they mostly restricted to Central PA? I put in an application for them
I mean, you do see some Dickinson grads around but it doesn't have the same clout as it does in Central PA. Philly is dominated by Temple and Nova.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:36 pm

The amount of Dickinson alums at this firm is astounding. It looks like Dickinson may be up there with Villanova and Temple with the "whichever is cheaper" decision. COL in Hburg is much cheaper than Philly too... granted, after living near a city for 6 years now, I'm not sure how I'd feel moving back to rural central PA

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:42 pm

FWIW, my father regards Nova law very highly (even more-so than Temple), same as Dickinson. He also said that Widener is a solid school - which, I do not doubt that it's solid and places in central PA, but I'm sure that Widener doesn't have the general reach and influence that I'm interested in (before anyone jumps on the mention of Widener, I am not throwing an app their way).

That being said, he has been in the small town, northcentral PA game now for 35+ years, which I'm sure has tinted his larger legal view.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:53 pm

bmathers wrote:I'm sure that Widener doesn't have the general reach and influence that I'm interested in
I don't think many people outside PA or the Northeast will have a clue about the relative strengths of Dickinson/Nova/Temple/Widener. If you're OK with staying local and have your dad's firm as a backup to unemployment (and perhaps taking it over one day), I'd focus on limiting your debt. (edit - though just checking Widener's employment numbers, those are pretty terrible).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:55 pm

ggocat wrote:
bmathers wrote:I'm sure that Widener doesn't have the general reach and influence that I'm interested in
I don't think many people outside PA or the Northeast will have a clue about the relative strengths of Dickinson/Nova/Temple/Widener. If you're OK with staying local and have your dad's firm as a backup to unemployment (and perhaps taking it over one day), I'd focus on limiting your debt. (edit - though just checking Widener's employment numbers, those are pretty terrible).
Thank you - yes, Widener employment is very rough. I'm thinking if I can get at least $35k/yr ship from Nova, I may do it (preferably more, and no stips) That would put me under $50k debt at repayment, which is less than $500/mo on a 10-year plan.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”