Is Cornell Really Considered Elite? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jeez29

New

Is Cornell Really Considered Elite?

Post by jeez29 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:57 am

You hear all about top 14 law schools, and I know Cornell is in the latter part of the latter half of the top 14 according to US News, and because of this, is it truly considered elite?

Would you personally be impressed if someone told you they went to Cornell Law?

And I suppose more importantly, would prestigious law firms and prestigious public sector employers like the DOJ be impressed by a Cornell law degree? Or do Cornell grads play second fiddle to other top 14 grads?

cdotson2

Silver

Re: Is Cornell Really Considered Elite?

Post by cdotson2 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:07 am

if you feel you havn't got the options you want this cycle you should: wait a year, retake, and reapply. It doesn't matter if people are impressed by your degree, just that it gets you a job. If you care about how impressed people will be, Cornell =\= HYS. There are a few select jobs it is much harder to get from cornell than from HYS. However, you will most likely get a job from Cornell that pays the same as any you would get from HYS.
Last edited by cdotson2 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:20 am

Is this seriously a question?

This can't be real.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:23 am

jeez29 wrote:You hear all about top 14 law schools, and I know Cornell is in the latter part of the latter half of the top 14 according to US News, and because of this, is it truly considered elite?

Would you personally be impressed if someone told you they went to Cornell Law?

And I suppose more importantly, would prestigious law firms and prestigious public sector employers like the DOJ be impressed by a Cornell law degree? Or do Cornell grads play second fiddle to other top 14 grads?
can't fucking believe that THIS is even a consideration. no one really cares where you go to school other than employers. in fact I find it very unimpressive and off putting when someone who goes to a "prestigious" school feels the need to mention it constantly

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze

Post by drive4showLSAT4dough » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:36 am

IS JOE FLACCO A ELITE QUARTERBACK?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:37 am

Lol. Typical 0l thought process. Dude, no one cares where you went to law school -- except maybe your mom. Go to a school that you think will advance your career at a reasonable price. That simple. Impressing others shouldn't be a consideration.

As to getting a fancy job and impressing fancy people, do you seriously think anyone hires solely based on what school a candidate went to? That's only a consideration. No one is going to be blown away by your going to any one law school, especially not places that have too many people applying there with all the same or better credentials.

Cornell is a great school. If you can attend at a reasonable price and you want to be a lawyer, then go.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:13 pm

Silverdoe callout thread

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:15 pm

I mean it's not Elite but it's also not as bad as Penn so I think that should explain it.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:19 pm

it's a shit school for people who couldn't get into a real TTT14

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:26 pm

"You've never been to the Harvard Club before? What kind of Harvard man are you?"
"The Cornell kind."
"Oh...."

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:28 pm

swc65 wrote:"You've never been to the Harvard Club before? What kind of Harvard man are you?"
"The Cornell kind."
"Oh...."
Second favorite line after "Can I keep this pen?"
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:32 pm

jeez29 wrote:To what extent can I brag about going to CORNELL law school?
The answer is you'll be laughed at and ridiculed if you try to brag about going to a TOP FOURTEEN LAW SCHOOL.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:21 pm

^^

Says the person who went to Yale over a near full ride at Columbia....

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:53 pm

swc65 wrote:^^

Ooh, I've been found out. I guess the cat's out of the bag now. I admit it. I chose Yale with the maximum need based aid (which was about 3/4 of a Hamilton with a lower cost of living), and I had no desire for Biglaw and aspirations for stuff like clerkships, unicorny PI, and maybe academia. Feel free to go check out my choosing thread. I believe there was something like 60 votes for YLS vs 2 at Columbia, as well as numerous posts from highly regarded posters (including Bagelboy, an excellent poster at CLS) saying I'd be crazy not to choose YLS. You caught me though. My advice is completely baseless because I'm going to Yale. I'm sorry for posting in this thread.

But I don't know why you felt the need to mention my school in here. I didn't (because, as I said above, it can be douchey). At any rate though, it does point out an important factor for OP. I did NOT choose YLS because of its prestige, because if I had I would be at Harvard. I chose it because it's the best by far at securing the employment I want, pretty much the same reason people recommend a medium scholarship to a school like Cornell over a full ride to a good regional. SWC, No reason to get your feelings hurt over me choosing against your school.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:57 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
swc65 wrote:^^

Ooh, I've been found out. I guess the cat's out of the bag now. I admit it. I chose Yale with the maximum need based aid (which was about 3/4 of a Hamilton with a lower cost of living), and I had no desire for Biglaw and aspirations for stuff like clerkships, unicorny PI, and maybe academia. Feel free to go check out my choosing thread. I believe there was something like 60 votes for YLS vs 2 at Columbia, as well as numerous posts from highly regarded posters (including Bagelboy, an excellent poster at CLS) saying I'd be crazy not to choose YLS. You caught me though. My advice is completely baseless because I'm going to Yale. I'm sorry for posting in this thread.

But I don't know why you felt the need to mention my school in here. I didn't (because, as I said above, it can be douchey). At any rate though, it does point out an important factor for OP. I did NOT choose YLS because of its prestige, because if I had I would be at Harvard. I chose it because it's the best by far at securing the employment I want, pretty much the same reason people recommend a medium scholarship to a school like Cornell over a full ride to a good regional. SWC, No reason to get your feelings hurt over me choosing against your school.
I think the correct response was to sneer at him through your monocle and say, "Columbia, eh? My dog walker went there."

Yale gives free monocles to all admitted students, right?

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:10 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:

I think the correct response was to sneer at him through your monocle and say, "Columbia, eh? My dog walker went there."

Yale gives free monocles to all admitted students, right?
You are most correct. Packaged with the snuggie comes our top hat, monocle, and cane with which to beat the peasants from the lower "Ivies."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:22 pm

stego wrote:Silverdoe callout thread
I had the same thought

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:24 pm

OP,

Cornell is a great law school. It's an Ivy, though some admonish it as the "lowest ivy" (OMG the humanity of perhaps attending the LOWEST Ivy AHHHHHH)
So, yeah, it is definitely a top law school and places really well in NYC Big Law. However, it is very expensive to attend and Ithaca's COL is pretty expensive. If you have a good scholarship, are interested in NYC big law, or some other great program there, it can be a great choice.

Will people be impressed if you tell them? Eh, it depends. The people who care enough to be impressed by shit like that are usually idiots you wouldn't care to impress or your aunt Kathy. I think someone saying they went to HSY will probably sound more impressive. But to the layman, yeah it sound's pretty good. The general public doesn't have the ranking memorized like us, so they'll probably be as impressed as if you told them you went to Fordham.

If you are looking for prestige as a value try NYLS. Someone may mistake it for NYU.

In all seriousness, don't pick a school solely on prestige. However, I do think some people tend to downplay the importance of having a good school on your resume. For many jobs a top law school seems to be a necessary, though not sufficient, condition for employment.

ETA:

Question for anyone who attended Cornell law: What percentage of the class can snag NYC big law? Top 20% Top 30% ?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:OP,

If you are looking for prestige as a value try NYLS. Someone may mistake it for NYU.
Jokes aside, I know someone who had a pretty successful career because of this.

jp1447

New

Post by jp1447 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:15 pm

I would suspect that the big law numbers are significantly higher than top 20% or top 30%.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:26 pm

jp1447 wrote:I would suspect that the big law numbers are significantly higher than top 20% or top 30%.

I'm sorry I'm a little confused? Do you mean that you can be ranked lower and still get big law, or that you need a higher class rank?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDapperDruid

New

Post by TheDapperDruid » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
jp1447 wrote:I would suspect that the big law numbers are significantly higher than top 20% or top 30%.

I'm sorry I'm a little confused? Do you mean that you can be ranked lower and still get big law, or that you need a higher class rank?
From what I've read, it seems that students at median regularly get big law.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cornell+law+aba+509+employment

Having been around for 3.5 years, frankly I'm surprised that you haven't once seen the biglaw numbers for Cornell.
Last edited by lymenheimer on Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:Question for anyone who attended Cornell law: What percentage of the class can snag NYC big law? Top 20% Top 30% ?
You can get it from virtually any gpa. Depends on other factors. 50% of the class ends up in NYC biglaw, but you can easily get it from below the top half. NYC is the easiest market, and a bunch of people choose biglaw in other states or self-select into PI. If you're in the bottom 1/3rd or so, you'd be at risk of striking out, but you can overcome bad grades with good interviewing skills.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”