Michigan ($$$) vs. Cornell ($$$) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Penn ($$) vs. Berkeley (?) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
curry1

Silver

Re: Michigan ($$$) vs. Cornell ($$$) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Penn ($$) vs. Berkeley (?)

Post by curry1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:25 pm

michlaw wrote:
orangered wrote:
michlaw wrote:
I always get the feeling than Penn is more closely aligned with the schools ahead of it that the ones behind it.

Twist: Michlaw is OP's father.
Too funny. I was an analyst at JP Morgan before law school. The Penn reputational benefits might have had more to do with Wharton than their law school, but it was often regarded by human resource management as being in the same class as HYSC.
Egregious anti-Princeton trolling.

Clearly

Gold

Re: Michigan ($$$) vs. Cornell ($$$) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Penn ($$) vs. Berkeley (?)

Post by Clearly » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:30 pm

matterhorn wrote:I guess my question at the end of the day is: Do I have a higher chance of getting CA big law from schools with better employment numbers overall (Duke/Penn compared to Michigan)? If so, are those chances worth the extra $$? Do CA firms view all these schools (except Berkeley) as the same (e.g. if i am median at Penn, Michigan, Duke, or Cornell, will I have the same chances of landing CA biglaw?)
You do not. People get to ca from Penn regularly, but not at some rate that justifies that premium. I'm gonna guess better chances than Cornell by a hair, but the rest prob right about the same.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:16 pm

Clearly wrote:
matterhorn wrote:I guess my question at the end of the day is: Do I have a higher chance of getting CA big law from schools with better employment numbers overall (Duke/Penn compared to Michigan)? If so, are those chances worth the extra $$? Do CA firms view all these schools (except Berkeley) as the same (e.g. if i am median at Penn, Michigan, Duke, or Cornell, will I have the same chances of landing CA biglaw?)
You do not. People get to ca from Penn regularly, but not at some rate that justifies that premium. I'm gonna guess better chances than Cornell by a hair, but the rest prob right about the same.
Agree with this.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:18 pm

michlaw wrote:
orangered wrote:
michlaw wrote:
I always get the feeling than Penn is more closely aligned with the schools ahead of it that the ones behind it.

Too funny. I was an analyst at JP Morgan before law school. The Penn reputational benefits might have had more to do with Wharton than their law school, but it was often regarded by human resource management as being in the same class as HYSC.
Yeah, I think that's the Wharton effect. Along the same lines, business folks are sometimes confused by YLS's king-of-the-hill status among law schools (because Yale has a TTT business school--at least by Ivy League standards).

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:09 am

rpupkin wrote:
Yes, I think they're all basically viewed the same. Michigan may have a slightly better rep out here than Penn/Duke, and Cornell may have a slightly worse rep than the other three, but the differences, if they exist at all, aren't enough to lose sleep or money over.
I think this point isn't made anywhere near enough on this forum... basically all of those schools outcomes are pretty similar, so there's no need to lose a ton of sleep over an employment score that is 3%-5% different between schools (odds are, that'll fluctuate some more before we graduate anyways.) Between Michigan/Penn/Duke/Cornell/Boalt, you're best going where you're comfortable and you have the best financial package... which seems like Michigan to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:33 am

Thank you to everyone for the advice. I'm pretty sure I will be going to Michigan unless Berkeley gives me a solid scholarship offer.

Budfox55

Bronze

Post by Budfox55 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:21 pm

curry1 wrote:
michlaw wrote:
orangered wrote:
michlaw wrote:

Egregious anti-Princeton trolling.
Worked at an investment bank and agreed. Yale dude? Over Princeton??? LOL. Yale is a total TTT for finance. Just above Brown. Princeton is top tier.

To the wharton comment, maybe 2 decades ago, but I think Penn's reached a critical mass in finance where the specific school doesn't matter anymore. Penn is probably the most represented school in top finance jobs and like 1/2 of the Penn ppl i've come across have been non-wharton. Because we all know how important and useful studying business/finance is for a job in business/finance.

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Goldman Sachs

School Alumni
New York University 428
London School of Economics 419
Cornell University 359
Harvard University 339
Columbia University 311
University of Oxford 303
University of Cambridge 300
University of Pennsylvania 284
Brigham Young University 273
Imperial College of London 248
Source: LinkedIn and Business Insider

I mean at least Yale has a business school with a stunning new building. But my comment was more about Penn's reputation as being worth the additional investment by the OP. I was talking grad school because once you have a JD or MBA where you went to undergrad matters little except to oneself.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:14 pm

michlaw wrote:
I mean at least Yale has a business school with a stunning new building. But my comment was more about Penn's reputation as being worth the additional investment by the OP.
Right. And Penn's non-law "reputation" is worth about as much to OP as Yale's new business school building. Both are irrelevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:16 pm

michlaw wrote:Goldman Sachs

School Alumni
New York University 428
London School of Economics 419
Cornell University 359
Harvard University 339
Columbia University 311
University of Oxford 303
University of Cambridge 300
University of Pennsylvania 284
Brigham Young University 273
Imperial College of London 248
Source: LinkedIn and Business Insider

I mean at least Yale has a business school with a stunning new building. But my comment was more about Penn's reputation as being worth the additional investment by the OP. I was talking grad school because once you have a JD or MBA where you went to undergrad matters little except to oneself.
You also have to look at university size. TTT UG's like Cornell and NYU have >15K UG students + ridiculous amount of grad + b school students, whereas Princeton has ~5k UG and no b-school, so basically if Princeton had even ~100ish students at GS it would be at par with Cornell or even beating it significantly in placement. Also, lol at picking GS for this comparison as if it is representative of the elite business world. I can see why you scored so low on the LSAT that you went to a TTT like THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHFOOTBALLIGAN.

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:21 pm

You are silly.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:27 pm

curry1 wrote: You also have to look at university size. TTT UG's like Cornell and NYU have >15K UG students + ridiculous amount of grad + b school students, whereas Princeton has ~5k UG and no b-school, so basically if Princeton had even ~100ish students at GS it would be at par with Cornell or even beating it significantly in placement. Also, lol at picking GS for this comparison as if it is representative of the elite business world. I can see why you scored so low on the LSAT that you went to a TTT like THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHFOOTBALLIGAN.
Princeton is known for (1) legacy admissions (something like 1/3 of the class was a legacy admit for a LONNGGG time) and (2) to a lesser degree, computer programming (which is still bested by TTT UG's like Cornell). Care to enlighten us about the awesomeness of Princeton?

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:43 pm

krads153 wrote:
curry1 wrote: You also have to look at university size. TTT UG's like Cornell and NYU have >15K UG students + ridiculous amount of grad + b school students, whereas Princeton has ~5k UG and no b-school, so basically if Princeton had even ~100ish students at GS it would be at par with Cornell or even beating it significantly in placement. Also, lol at picking GS for this comparison as if it is representative of the elite business world. I can see why you scored so low on the LSAT that you went to a TTT like THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHFOOTBALLIGAN.
Princeton is known for (1) legacy admissions (something like 1/3 of the class was a legacy admit for a LONNGGG time) and (2) to a lesser degree, computer programming (which is still bested by TTT UG's like Cornell). Care to enlighten us about the awesomeness of Princeton?
You forgot (3) philosophy and (4) Ted Cruz!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:56 pm

Will you dumb fuckers go jerk each other off elsewhere

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”