. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Last edited by adelllla on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

adelllla

New

Re: UCLA . Stanford

Post by adelllla » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:31 am

Last edited by adelllla on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:45 am

adelllla wrote:
adelllla wrote:Sorry for the deletion, there were some complications.

But anyway, here's the breakdown:

UCLA: 123K aid, leaving me about 7K a year in tuition + housing. I'll be living very close to home and might even commute 2L/3L. I have already deposited.
SLS: 43K for the first year.

Goals:

I want to be a Public Defender, specifically in LA. I have a strong preference for SoCal and hence my reasoning for leaning a tiny bit towards UCLA. It will give me the proximity to the LA office that I need. On the other hand, there is Sanford. I know there was a similar thread made by someone else choosing between the two schools (we're seemingly crazy, I know), but that was for the DA's office and I know that PD offices don't seem to emphasize school ranking, at least not over demonstrated interest and experience.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.
Bumping, because I deleted before anybody could respond :/
I'd say stanford. You never know how long you want to be a PD and Stanford will keep doors open indefinitely. Doing PI work will make the debt not as bad as you think as well because of LRAP and REPAYE/IBR options

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:03 pm

sjp200 wrote:
adelllla wrote:
adelllla wrote:Sorry for the deletion, there were some complications.

But anyway, here's the breakdown:

UCLA: 123K aid, leaving me about 7K a year in tuition + housing. I'll be living very close to home and might even commute 2L/3L. I have already deposited.
SLS: 43K for the first year.

Goals:

I want to be a Public Defender, specifically in LA. I have a strong preference for SoCal and hence my reasoning for leaning a tiny bit towards UCLA. It will give me the proximity to the LA office that I need. On the other hand, there is Sanford. I know there was a similar thread made by someone else choosing between the two schools (we're seemingly crazy, I know), but that was for the DA's office and I know that PD offices don't seem to emphasize school ranking, at least not over demonstrated interest and experience.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.
Bumping, because I deleted before anybody could respond :/
I'd say stanford. You never know how long you want to be a PD and Stanford will keep doors open indefinitely. Doing PI work will make the debt not as bad as you think as well because of LRAP and REPAYE/IBR options
Thanks for the response! I'm actually pretty set on PD, and whenever I'm able to get into the office, I'd definitely stay because that's when income incentives truly kick in.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:10 pm

This seems like a personal preference decision. Will stanford leave more doors open should you decide to leave PD or change your mind in law school? probably. Would you be hurt in prospects of doing what you want to do by going to UCLA? probably not. You seem to be leaning heavily toward UCLA, if that's the case go for it. Personally I'd choose Stanford for the options it leaves open and LRAP will come in either way, but this seems completely up to your preference IMO.

ETA: others may be more knowledgable about the effect of Stanford on PD prospects and say one is inherently better

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”