Notre Dame vs WashU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Notre Dame or WashU

Notre Dame
74%
WashU
26%

Total votes: 39

DougStamper

New

Notre Dame vs WashU

Post by DougStamper » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Last edited by DougStamper on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acr

Silver

Re: Notre Dame vs WashU

Post by acr » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:42 pm

Chicago and DC are lofty goals from either. Chicago is a saturated market with two T14 schools in the city. By targeting Chicago, you're not only competing with Northwestern and U Chicago kids, but you're competing with basically every other Midwestern school as well. UIUC, Iowa, WUSTL, ND, IU-B, Loyola, John Marshall, etc etc. Getting Chicago from either school will require grades at the top of your class, which is a tough feat at schools like WUSTL and ND that attract T14ish quality applicants.

tl;dr: don't go to WUSTL or ND planning on getting Chicago.

DC is similarly saturated. I can't speak for ND, but I do know that WUSTL has a DC externship/clinic where they will send you to work at an administrative agency or government agency for a semester. They seem to be pretty proud of it and former students give it some praise, but I'm not sure if it actually impacts your chances at landing DC. In any event, I still wouldn't base a decision off of this.

Given your goals, I think it's a wash and you should pick the school that you like better where you can keep your costs lower. The Notre Dame brand name will likely go further, but Wash U is a cheap place to go to school.

TirantMartorell

Bronze

Post by TirantMartorell » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Chicago biglaw is doable from ND if you have decent grades - you don't need to be at the "top of the class" like the prior poster claims. DC will be harder - it's a tough legal market to crack and not that many people from ND end up in DC each year - part of that is self-selection, but part of it is also the fact that DC is a very tough market and you're competing with students from every school in the country. The people I know who've made it to DC have tended to be on Law Review. Not the case for Chicago, non-Law Review but decent to good grades makes Chicago doable.

woodchuck78

Bronze

Post by woodchuck78 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:58 pm

I think Doug Stamper is the last guy who needs a law degree. And since when did you get a SO??? Is Underwood ok with that?

Ok, I'm done with the HoC references [maybe]. My vote is with ND, but disclaimer since I only applied there and not Wash U. I'll keep it short and sweet. I went out and visited ND, looked over employee data, everything. They place great with federal clerkships, and Chicago and DC are two of their four biggest markets (Chicago #1, DC fluctuates b/w 2-4). They also have some of the highest SCOTUS clerk #s for a non-T14 school. Campus is great. I don't know much about Wash U, so I may not be fully informed, but I think ND would be a great choice for you.

Edit: ND also has a semester-long externship in DC program, so that's also a plus.

mogwli

New

Post by mogwli » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:53 pm

DougStamper wrote:I need to make my decision by next week. I've narrowed my decision down to ND and WashU.

Both ND and WashU have offered me $42,000 per year (ND's tuition is about $2,500 more than WashU). My SO will be working full time, so I won't be taking out any loans for COL. I would love to work in Chicago, but I'm also interested in working in DC as well. My goal is to get a federal clerkship or government job.

Trying to figure out which degree is more portable, as well as the differences in student life between the two schools.
Can't comment to student life but I'd say ND over WashU. ND's recent employment #s are really strong, and you'd be in a solid position to get Chicago biglaw if you do decently well. As others have said, DC is going to be hard just b/c DC is hard for everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Given they're pretty equal employment numbers and cost wise, I'd say ND because of proximity to Chicago.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:16 am

I'd go with whichever you liked more from your visits and/or where SO will have a better time finding/transferring her job.

DougStamper

New

Post by DougStamper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Last edited by DougStamper on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:27 pm

DougStamper wrote:After my visit to both I chose ND. Thanks for all the input!
:mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Enjoy! (You both)

DougStamper

New

Post by DougStamper » Tue May 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”