LSU vs UH Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
readerchick15

New

LSU vs UH

Post by readerchick15 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:27 pm

So I personally prefer University of Houston over LSU. I already have connections in Houston, and would love to stay here but they are only offering me 16,000 a year and tuition and fees are 29,784. I tried negotiating with them and they offered me an additional 5,000 but it is only for the first year. LSU however is offering me all 35,190 of the non resident tuition and fees for 3 years.

Advice??

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: LSU vs UH

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:32 pm

I wouldn't go to UH unless the cost was no more than about 60K and I wouldn't go to LSU unless a had a strong reason and desire to work in Louisiana long term.

What's your gpa? Depending on what it is an LSAT retake in June could maybe get you more money from UH.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Two questions. Where do you want to live? Have you accepted the kind of employment outcomes you should expect at either of these schools?

Also, I'm no expert on this, but if you want to practice in Louisiana is it wise to go to school anywhere but in Louisiana?

readerchick15

New

Post by readerchick15 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:20 am

BigZuck wrote:I wouldn't go to UH unless the cost was no more than about 60K and I wouldn't go to LSU unless a had a strong reason and desire to work in Louisiana long term.

What's your gpa? Depending on what it is an LSAT retake in June could maybe get you more money from UH.

my gpa unfortunately was a 2.9, and my highest lsat was 163. My faith is important to me so I'm only looking at schools in cities within my church network and I want to stay close to family. That is why I'm considering LSU and UH. Most of my family is in the middle of nowhere Louisiana, but I also have a significant number in Houston as well which is where I am currently living. I wouldn't mind staying here, but since I don't have much experience with Baton Rouge I can't say I wouldn't want to live there.

readerchick15

New

Post by readerchick15 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:46 am

fliptrip wrote:Two questions. Where do you want to live? Have you accepted the kind of employment outcomes you should expect at either of these schools?

Also, I'm no expert on this, but if you want to practice in Louisiana is it wise to go to school anywhere but in Louisiana?

I'm not sure where I want to live 100%. Ideally, I would like to stay in Houston because I have family here, a church and I'm already living here so I kinda know the area. I'm an army brat so I don't really get attached to specific places, so I could easily live in houston or baton rouge (unless it turns out I absolutely hate it), or even Lafayette just looking to stay in the general texas/Louisiana region in decent sized city (ie have a mall) . I guess it all just depends on where I get the best opportunities.I'd probably practice in whatever state I graduated from. I'm not looking to do big law, I'm more interested in family or public interest which is why minimal debt is crucial, (though I am open to possibly finding new interest in law school)

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:13 pm

readerchick15 wrote:
fliptrip wrote:Two questions. Where do you want to live? Have you accepted the kind of employment outcomes you should expect at either of these schools?

I'm not sure where I want to live 100%. Ideally, I would like to stay in Houston because I have family here, a church and I'm already living here so I kinda know the area. I'm an army brat so I don't really get attached to specific places, so I could easily live in houston or baton rouge (unless it turns out I absolutely hate it), or even Lafayette just looking to stay in the general texas/Louisiana region in decent sized city (ie have a mall) . I guess it all just depends on where I get the best opportunities.I'd probably practice in whatever state I graduated from. I'm not looking to do big law, I'm more interested in family or public interest which is why minimal debt is crucial, (though I am open to possibly finding new interest in law school)
Outside of a retake, LSU for free (minus COL) seems like the way to go since you are okay with Louisiana and family law/public interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”