Michigan vs UT Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zozo1717

Bronze

Michigan vs UT

Post by zozo1717 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Hello all - I've finally narrowed down my choices between Michigan and UT (and still vaguely in the picture - Northwestern and GULC).

Here is all the info -
*Schools you are considering: Michigan, UT, Northwestern, Georgetown

*Total COA:
COA after scholarships, savings, COL expenses factored out:
Michigan: ~$77k
UT:~$63k
NU: ~$107k
Georgetown: ~$150k (eek)
COL will be covered by my spouse, obviously money goes further in lower cost markets.

*How will you be financing:
Scholarships, loans and $45k total of my personal savings (don't worry - not even getting close to wiping myself out). My family originally said no help, but they are warming up to providing some assistance, but I'm not factoring that in right now. Thankfully no undergrad debt.

*Where are you from? Ties? Where do you want to be?
Strong ties to DC and the southeast, strong ties to Texas through my spouse. Not 100% sure where I want to be, but leaning towards DC or Texas.

*Career goals:
I want to do IP/Patent law (EE degree + 6 years of industry experience). I envision a stint in biglaw and then ideally a transition to in-house work @ a tech company.

*Stats: 168/3.3 (done with the LSAT!)

I'm really leaning towards Michigan at this point - is it worth the extra 13-15k? I feel like because I'm uncertain exactly what market I want to end up in Michigan may provide more flexibility. Thanks guys and gals!

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Michigan vs UT

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Michigan

I suspect you're underestimating your total debt at graduation by at least 30K though

Eta: But yeah Michigan is worth 15K more than UT for almost any scenario, but especially when you don't know where you want to end up

zozo1717

Bronze

Post by zozo1717 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:57 pm

BigZuck wrote:Michigan

I suspect you're underestimating your total debt at graduation by at least 30K though

Eta: But yeah Michigan is worth 15K more than UT for almost any scenario, but especially when you don't know where you want to end up
Thanks -

As for the debt - you're probably right - I used the GT calculator. What usually drives it up (past expected) - tuition increase? extra COL (summer months)? Time between graduation & starting work?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:44 pm

zozo1717 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Michigan

Thanks -

As for the debt - you're probably right - I used the GT calculator. What usually drives it up (past expected) - tuition increase? extra COL (summer months)? Time between graduation & starting work?
All of those things, plus interest & fees.

Still, I agree that Mich for ~$80k is defensible given your unclear geographic/career goals. If you were rock-solid on wanting to be a Texas prosecutor or something, obviously it would be a different answer. But Mich makes some sense for you.

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:52 am

I'm biased because of my endless love for Michigan, but if you don't know where you want to end up, I feel like UM is the easy choice. UT probably provides slightly better opportunities for small and midsize firms in Texas and state and local government jobs in TX. The two are probably comfortable if you have TX ties for Texas big law. And Michigan is a better degree for everything else. Easily worth low-five-figures to have a degree from a truly national law school.

Also my experience was that I was able to put about $22,000 of my summer money towards 3L living/tuition. You should expect to pay an increase of $2,500 for 2L and $5,000 for 3L in tuition, plus you have to factor in interest. Obviously if you have a tech background or diversity play, that opens up the 1L summer for $30k plus in added earnings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:42 am

Michigan.

They have been very responsive to the changes in the law school world and the new employment realities. As pleasant as law school gets for any school that still employs a strictly enforced grading curve. Great facilities and Ann Arbor is a nice town. Enjoy. Ribbit.

zozo1717

Bronze

Post by zozo1717 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:06 pm

CTT wrote:I'm biased because of my endless love for Michigan, but if you don't know where you want to end up, I feel like UM is the easy choice. UT probably provides slightly better opportunities for small and midsize firms in Texas and state and local government jobs in TX. The two are probably comfortable if you have TX ties for Texas big law. And Michigan is a better degree for everything else. Easily worth low-five-figures to have a degree from a truly national law school.

Also my experience was that I was able to put about $22,000 of my summer money towards 3L living/tuition. You should expect to pay an increase of $2,500 for 2L and $5,000 for 3L in tuition, plus you have to factor in interest. Obviously if you have a tech background or diversity play, that opens up the 1L summer for $30k plus in added earnings.
michlaw wrote:Michigan.

They have been very responsive to the changes in the law school world and the new employment realities. As pleasant as law school gets for any school that still employs a strictly enforced grading curve. Great facilities and Ann Arbor is a nice town. Enjoy. Ribbit.
Thanks for the feedback. If you couldn't tell - definitely leaning towards Michigan

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”