Miami (sticker) vs FIU ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ifont

New

Miami (sticker) vs FIU ($)

Post by ifont » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:34 am

Hey guys,

I'm attending law school this fall and the deposit deadline is fast approaching. I'm on the waitlist for UF, waiting to hear back from FSU, admitted in Miami, and received a dean's scholarship at FIU. I plan on practicing in the S. Florida area. UF would be my ideal landing spot, but I'm not getting my hopes up and have a choice to make between both Miami schools. I would be paying sticker price for UM (48k) compared to the $5,700 I would pay annually at FIU. My plan is to hopefully attend and transfer after the first year. To be honest, I'm struggling to find a justification for paying that obscene amount for UM. The only reason I've come up with that might possibly justify the debt is that the transfer ceiling would be much higher if I attend a T2 school like Miami. I live in city so the added costs of room and board are thankfully out of the equation. I would truly appreciate some insight from the TLS community.

Leagles5161

Bronze

Re: Miami (sticker) vs FIU ($)

Post by Leagles5161 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:49 am

The consensus on here will be retake & go to UF for free or near free

Let's assume someone has a gun to your head making you attend law school this fall. Then FIU is not bad for that price & you will land in South Florida.

*Full disclaimer: 0L that will be attending UF in the fall on a 75% scholarship*

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:47 am

Leagles5161 wrote:The consensus on here will be retake & go to UF for free or near free

Let's assume someone has a gun to your head making you attend law school this fall. Then FIU is not bad for that price & you will land in South Florida.

*Full disclaimer: 0L that will be attending UF in the fall on a 75% scholarship*
This is not the way to approach law school. OP, what are your goals? FIU will close off most everything unless you are the lucky 3-4% that gets BIgLaw from that school. Think of the 3-year opportunity cost. Out of FIU, you will likely be hanging your own shingle and have very limited options. Miami at sticker is just insane, so don't do that

Leagles5161

Bronze

Post by Leagles5161 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:59 am

BasilHallward wrote:
Leagles5161 wrote:The consensus on here will be retake & go to UF for free or near free

This is not the way to approach law school. OP, what are your goals? FIU will close off most everything unless you are the lucky 3-4% that gets BIgLaw from that school. Think of the 3-year opportunity cost. Out of FIU, you will likely be hanging your own shingle and have very limited options. Miami at sticker is just insane, so don't do that
It was a facetious comment to prove a point lol

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:01 am

A few things:

You could go to FIU, but you should know what you're getting going in...a 60% chance of actually practicing law and if you are practicing it's almost guaranteed to be shitlaw (PI, divorces and the like). You okay with that? FIU is defensible because at the low cash costs (we'll ignore opportunity costs), you will not be putting yourself into hock for decades with no hope for escape.

or

You can retake the LSAT and get good money at UM, UF, and FSU and try this again. I don't think going to UM at substantial discount is problematic at all for someone who wants to stay and practice in Miami.

Miami at sticker is absolutely insane to echo Basil. Don't do it.

Also, don't matriculate at a law school that you don't intend to graduate from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”