UT $$$ vs SMU$$$$ (full ride) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pennylane2016

New

UT $$$ vs SMU$$$$ (full ride)

Post by pennylane2016 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi guys! I really need help with this decision. I am a Texas resident with big law ambitions and have two great scholarship offers. SMU (my alma mater) has offered me the full ride Hutchinson scholarship with a top 1/2 stipulation, while the highest ranking law school in Texas, UT, has offered me 20k per year. I'm leaning towards UT because of the alumni network alone, but am I totally crazy for turning down full scholly at SMU?

Thanks in advance!!!

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: UT $$$ vs SMU$$$$ (full ride)

Post by BasilHallward » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:07 am

UT. easy choice. It's better in every aspect. The scholarship, your options at graduation, Austin, and your ability to have what you want in 3 different markets, if you're above median. Don't screw this one up.

Disclaimer: I'm at UT, but from Dallas and passed on SMU for the above reasons

mp2306

New

Post by mp2306 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:09 am

As a current SMU law student, I would say to do UT. The top 1/2 is no guarantee and you'll need top 10% here to get big law and it's still a toss up. At UT you have better odds and UT carries further than the regional ties of SMU.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:14 am

mp2306 wrote:As a current SMU law student, I would say to do UT. The top 1/2 is no guarantee and you'll need top 10% here to get big law and it's still a toss up. At UT you have better odds and UT carries further than the regional ties of SMU.
I thought 20% of SMU kids get BigLaw per employment data?? Is top 10% no guarantee because rich kids with connections or something that or not top 10%??

pennylane2016

New

Post by pennylane2016 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:16 am

I really appreciate the responses. It's going to hurt turning down free money :? but I guess it's the best decision in the long run. I thought THE DECISION would be the easiest part of the process...so terribly wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mp2306

New

Post by mp2306 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:20 am

BasilHallward wrote:
mp2306 wrote:As a current SMU law student, I would say to do UT. The top 1/2 is no guarantee and you'll need top 10% here to get big law and it's still a toss up. At UT you have better odds and UT carries further than the regional ties of SMU.
I thought 20% of SMU kids get BigLaw per employment data?? Is top 10% no guarantee because rich kids with connections or something that or not top 10%??

Yea connections are huge here. A lot more of who you know than grades to get big law in my opinion.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:28 am

mp2306 wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:

Yea connections are huge here. A lot more of who you know than grades to get big law in my opinion.
I've noticed this attending events in Dallas and running into SMU students. A lot of Highland Park types (nothing wrong with that). Kids with parents that own no significant assets (myself included) don't really fit in there IMO.

mp2306

New

Post by mp2306 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:49 am

BasilHallward wrote:
mp2306 wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:

I've noticed this attending events in Dallas and running into SMU students. A lot of Highland Park types (nothing wrong with that). Kids with parents that own no significant assets (myself included) don't really fit in there IMO.
Yea I don't come from the Highland park life either. But I was lucky enough to come from a STEM undergraduate background which is helpful in Dallas for IP big law. But unless you have some special circumstance like that it seems exceptionally difficult from an insiders perspective

A@M_or_bust

Bronze

Post by A@M_or_bust » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:12 am

pennylane2016 wrote:Hi guys! I really need help with this decision. I am a Texas resident with big law ambitions and have two great scholarship offers. SMU (my alma mater) has offered me the full ride Hutchinson scholarship with a top 1/2 stipulation, while the highest ranking law school in Texas, UT, has offered me 20k per year. I'm leaning towards UT because of the alumni network alone, but am I totally crazy for turning down full scholly at SMU?

Thanks in advance!!!
UT is the easy choice. Paying 13k more per year (assuming you would remain in the top half at SMU) to attend UT is a no-brainer. Congrats by the way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”