Cardozo ($) vs Brooklyn ($ w Stipulation) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
citylightsss

New

Cardozo ($) vs Brooklyn ($ w Stipulation)

Post by citylightsss » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:09 am

Hi everyone,
I know this question has been asked multiple times. However,I couldn't find a similar case as mine. I got 30k per yr at Brookly, giving that I remain in the top 80%. I also got 35k per yr at Cardozo with no stipulations.
While Cardozo seems to be a safer choice, its tuition is around 54k while brooklyn's is 43k!
Considering that, I want to know if anyone knows what the better choice is! Has anyone been a student at either school, and has any idea which school is preferable?
I am also wondering which one feeds into the NY market more than the other. I know neither of these school are ideal; however I want to work in NY law firms and sadly I won't get into NYU/Columbia/Cornell.
Thanks a lot

citylightsss

New

Re: Cardozo ($) vs Brooklyn ($ w Stipulation)

Post by citylightsss » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:39 am

I'm not sure how the second link applies to my questions however, the following are the extra info that the first link listed.
I wrote the LSAT once (this Dec.): 159
UGPA: 3.4 -- last two years (L2 GPA): 4.3
I'm Canadian, and I did my undergrad here in Canada.
I want to work in NYC for at least 5 years after graduation- that is if i get a decent firm job. If not, I'm interested in doing an LLM in international law/Business law, since I may move to Dubai in the future. I could work with that degree. Also, my family lives in Dubai.
As for cost of living, I really dont know how to calculate the cost of living for each school (subtracting the tuitions). My parents will pay for law school, but I really want to lower the costs as much as possible!

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:42 am

citylightsss wrote:I'm not sure how the second link applies to my questions however, the following are the extra info that the first link listed.
I wrote the LSAT once (this Dec.): 159
UGPA: 3.4 -- last two years (L2 GPA): 4.3
I'm Canadian, and I did my undergrad here in Canada.
I want to work in NYC for at least 5 years after graduation- that is if i get a decent firm job. If not, I'm interested in doing an LLM in international law/Business law, since I may move to Dubai in the future. I could work with that degree. Also, my family lives in Dubai.
As for cost of living, I really dont know how to calculate the cost of living for each school (subtracting the tuitions). My parents will pay for law school, but I really want to lower the costs as much as possible!
The last link explains how likely you are to get a decent firm job from Brooklyn.
You must read and understand the Law School Transparency information about employment statistics from these schools.

What kind of job are you looking for from law school?

Also each school should have the entire cost of attendance for the 9 months of school on its financial aid page. That will include the cost of living.
Note: a significant number of students from Brooklyn lose their "scholarships."

citylightsss

New

Post by citylightsss » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:51 am

I want to work in a firm. I'm interested in business law. That is if I Get a job at a decent firm in NYC. If not, I will get my LLM in international law and move to Dubai.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Why do you say you won't be able to get into Cornell or NYU? You've only taken the LSAT once and should seriously consider retaking because an LSAT score in the 170's can give you more options for NY schools. Even with your 3.4 GPA along with a 170+ LSAT, you have the potential of getting into NYU, Cornell, as well as Fordham. Don't settle for Brooklyn/Cardozo with those scholarships. The minimum you should be looking at is a full ride with no stips from them.

I'm just a 0L so take my advice with a grain of salt. But from what I've seen on here, most people will tell you to retake as well, which is something you should really consider.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”