Fordham vs Iowa (both Sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham vs Iowa Law

Fordham
92%
University of Iowa
8%

Total votes: 12

maybs

New

Fordham vs Iowa (both Sticker)

Post by maybs » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:39 pm

I'm in the process of negotiating scholarship but I'm unlikely to get money from either school. I'd like to practice in NYC (not sure which area of law yet). I know Fordham has the benefit of alumni connections but University of Iowa is much higher ranked (according to US news). Does Iowa's reputation carry to NYC? Also, I have to factor in the possibility of transfer after 1L. Will the difference in rank between the 2 schools affect my chances in transferring to other more nationally known law schools?

GPA: 3.47 LSAT:162 (took twice)
self-financing law school. I'm out-of-state for both schools.
Cost for Iowa: ~42k
Cost for Fordham: ~53k (i'll be rooming with my brother who lives in the city so I'll only pay 1/2 rent)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Fordham vs Iowa (both Sticker)

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:49 pm

Couple things...

Overall, Fordham is a better option.. but several caveats.

1) Fordham is not a ticket to NYC biglaw. On the flip side, Iowa gives you little to no chance at NYC big law.

2) Fordham COL, even at 1/2 apartment rent, is going to be WAY more expensive.

3) Don't consider transferring. Law school grades are unpredictable at best..assume that you are going to be at median. Median numbers from either school (or any school) aren't going to open up T14 transfer doors.

4) Consider retaking in June and reapplying (Shoot for 170+)

K Rock

Bronze

Post by K Rock » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Neither. It would be financial suicide to pay sticker price for either of these schools. I know you don't want to hear this but you need to retake the LSAT again. There is no guarantee that you would be able to transfer from either of these schools.

What do your "costs" mean? Is that per year?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Neither. And how did you calculate those costs?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:59 pm

K Rock wrote:Neither. It would be financial suicide to pay sticker price for either of these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:00 pm

Neither is worth full sticker price

maybs

New

Post by maybs » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Mullens wrote:Neither. And how did you calculate those costs?
cost is just tuition/year. and i do not have remaining debt from undergrad to consider.

maybs

New

Post by maybs » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:Neither is worth full sticker price
I'm also getting a full ride from U. of Illinois (no stipulations), 38k/year from Seton Hall (min. GPA 2.8), and 24k/year from Rutgers (min. GPA 2.67). What are the chances of making Biglaw in NYC compared to Iowa or Fordham?

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:13 pm

I echo all the other people in this thread: retake, reapply early this fall for school in NYC or schools outside of NY that place really well in NYC. Neither school is worth sticker

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TLSDookie

New

Post by TLSDookie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:32 pm

Your shot at NYC specific BigLaw outside T-14 is largely a hopeless pipe dream. Transferring into T-14 from any of those schools is also hugely unlikely (your classmates will be smart, motivated, and you're just as likely below the median or above it let alone top 5%.) The sooner you realize and accept that, and start making law school decisions based on why you realistically want to be a lawyer, rather than just the shiny $160,000 salary in 3 years ideal you'll probably hate anyway, the better off you'll be.

maybs

New

Post by maybs » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:54 pm

TLSDookie wrote:Your shot at NYC specific BigLaw outside T-14 is largely a hopeless pipe dream. Transferring into T-14 from any of those schools is also hugely unlikely (your classmates will be smart, motivated, and you're just as likely below the median or above it let alone top 5%.) The sooner you realize and accept that, and start making law school decisions based on why you realistically want to be a lawyer, rather than just the shiny $160,000 salary in 3 years ideal you'll probably hate anyway, the better off you'll be.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not saying that my endgame is Biglaw but I'd like to keep that option open if I do choose to pursue that route. To be honest, I've already come to terms with the likelihood that I won't get a corner office with a 6-figure salary (or any decent paying job). I want to do law in the city because I find it interesting (more so than anything else I can think of) and I really like NYC.

TLSDookie

New

Post by TLSDookie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:04 am

maybs wrote:
TLSDookie wrote:Your shot at NYC specific BigLaw outside T-14 is largely a hopeless pipe dream. Transferring into T-14 from any of those schools is also hugely unlikely (your classmates will be smart, motivated, and you're just as likely below the median or above it let alone top 5%.) The sooner you realize and accept that, and start making law school decisions based on why you realistically want to be a lawyer, rather than just the shiny $160,000 salary in 3 years ideal you'll probably hate anyway, the better off you'll be.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not saying that my endgame is Biglaw but I'd like to keep that option open if I do choose to pursue that route. To be honest, I've already come to terms with the likelihood that I won't get a corner office with a 6-figure salary (or any decent paying job). I want to do law in the city because I find it interesting (more so than anything else I can think of) and I really like NYC.
In that case Fordham is clearly the better option for you, Iowa will be difficult if not impossible to network into NYC midlaw/PI, the USNWR rankings are irrelevant (as they would be if you attended another highly ranked state school like UMN or UNC.) There are a variety of law related jobs available in the city for Fordham graduates, but realize attending at sticker is a huge risk, and the best case scenario is you will be burdened with most of your disposable income going straight to debt payment for the foreseeable future. Sorry if the previous reply came off as harsh sounding, but it's better to confront the truth than be hopelessly optimistic.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:25 am

If you have a full-tuition, no stipulation scholarship at http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/illinois/2014/, then just go there. Minimal debt and a 25% chance at biglaw (though probably not NYC), is a reasonable move.

But whatever you do, DON"T go to either Fordham or Iowa at sticker - you're most likely ruining your life if you choose either of those options.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:28 am

Otunga wrote:If you have a full-tuition, no stipulation scholarship at http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/illinois/2014/, then just go there. Minimal debt and a 25% chance at biglaw (though probably not NYC), is a reasonable move.

But whatever you do, DON"T go to either Fordham or Iowa at sticker - you're most likely ruining your life if you choose either of those options.
I agree.
Don't do Fordham and Illinois is a decent school for free.
If you didn't include cost of living, your cost in NYCis going to be very high compared to Illinois.

Also you need to do the entire 3 year calculation including likely tuition increases. You have to understand the numbers of what you are going to owe.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”