Cornell vs Michigan vs Berkeley (other schools too) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hand

Gold

Re: Cornell vs Michigan vs Berkeley (other schools too)

Post by Hand » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:29 am

James.K.Polk wrote:
whysoseriousbiglaw wrote:
fliptrip wrote:LOL. This dude is underperforming his numbers. He got the WL at Duke and Chicago...he should have been in.

Maybe he had really shit prior LSAT scores? I know supposedly highest scores matter, but.......
FWIW, I think these charts are immensely unrepresentative. Here's mine:

Like completely different from what happened.

Even disregarding that, I think there is some underperforming, but a WL at Chicago with a 168 is far from surprising.
There is literally one data point in your chart, of course that's not going to give you the whole picture, whereas the other one has a ton

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:43 am

Egzon wrote:
I want to stay in NYC (been there for 5 years) so Cornell would be the better choice; however, thanks for pointing out that Michigan is better at the kind of law I should be focusing on. Does it really matter though? I would be learning most of what I need by practicing at the law firms...
If NYC is goal, then Cornell. Also I think NYC firms make more sense than DC-based firms if OP would like to have the option of transferring to an overseas office, since NYC firms tend to be larger and have more foreign offices.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:55 am

Hand wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
whysoseriousbiglaw wrote:
fliptrip wrote:LOL. This dude is underperforming his numbers. He got the WL at Duke and Chicago...he should have been in.

Maybe he had really shit prior LSAT scores? I know supposedly highest scores matter, but.......
FWIW, I think these charts are immensely unrepresentative. Here's mine:

Like completely different from what happened.

Even disregarding that, I think there is some underperforming, but a WL at Chicago with a 168 is far from surprising.
There is literally one data point in your chart, of course that's not going to give you the whole picture, whereas the other one has a ton
Right, that was my edit. I didn't know I was the only 3.1/171 out there. Sorry.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:03 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:I didn't know I was the only 3.1/171 out there. Sorry.
You put too many restrictions that might not register properly with the way MyLSN draws from LSN (ie. not everybody posts their application/acceptance dates).

http://mylsn.info/w6dgie/ (automatic)
http://mylsn.info/xapoff/ (normal)

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:14 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:I didn't know I was the only 3.1/171 out there. Sorry.
You put too many restrictions that might not register properly with the way MyLSN draws from LSN (ie. not everybody posts their application/acceptance dates).

http://mylsn.info/w6dgie/ (automatic)
http://mylsn.info/xapoff/ (normal)
Gotcha. I still think the LSN chart is a little outdated with more and more applicants having work experience, etc., but that's at least a little closer.

Still, OP, I'd try to negotiate Michigan vs. Cornell and go to whichever is cheaper.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xz01

Bronze

Post by xz01 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:02 pm

What would be the best way to negotiate?

I'm thinking about sending an email to Georgetown with my offers so far, then using that for Michigan and hopefully take everything to Cornell.

Or maybe, just let Cornell know it's my top choice and give them a price (150k for example).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”