W&M($5,000) or Iowa Law (sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wittynprofane

New

W&M($5,000) or Iowa Law (sticker)

Post by wittynprofane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:05 pm

Stats: URM (AA) , GPA: 3.4, LSAT: 154
Just looking for some advice regarding these schools because I cannot seem to make a decision. Any opinions, statistics, and overall impressions would be greatly appreciated.
I'm interested in practicing criminal law but still slightly curious about employment law.

Accepted at both W&L and Iowa. Iowa has provided no type of scholarship information at this point. I've heard they can be slow with FinAid but I'm going with worst possible scenario which is sticker. W&L gave me $5000 a year.

Questions:
Does the research position at Iowa make a huge difference cost wise?
Whats the likelihood of getting scholarships in 2L or 3L at either?

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: W&M($5,000) or Iowa Law (sticker)

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Neither make sense, both are too expensive. You're going to have to retake the LSAT in order to make attending law school a sensible financial decision.

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: W&M($5,000) or Iowa Law (sticker)

Post by BasilHallward » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:12 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Return to “Choosing a Law School”