Mich vs Vandy vs WUSTL vs USC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thetruth7667

New

Mich vs Vandy vs WUSTL vs USC

Post by thetruth7667 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:44 am

Hi everyone,
Like many other 0L's, I've been feeling the pressure of March and the weight of my impending decision and was hoping to get a little feedback.

The main four schools I'm considering and the debt at repayment according to LST (factoring in scholarships and 10k/yr from parents)
Michigan - $123,000
Vanderbilt - $101,000
WUSTL - $85,000
USC - $96,000
I still am waiting on a couple other schools, as well as responses on scholly negotiations (mainly UCLA), but as things stand these are my top 4 in order of how I rank them at this moment.

I'm financing school through loans, and as I said previously, 10k/yr from family. Also I don't have any undergrad debt.

I'm from Indiana, born and went to school there. Don't really have an interest to work in Indy, but Chicago would be fine. Recently my family moved down South and I would prefer to work in that area (after 22 years in Indiana I'm kinda sick of the winters, obviously I can tolerate them, but uhhhh I'd rather not.) I've lived in cities of all sizes and prefer to live in big(ger) cities. In general, I'm pretty open to any location, but Nashville is basically my ideal type of place.

In terms of career goals, I don't think I would like biglaw, but I'm not ruling it out either. I've recently gotten hints of interest in PI, but not enough to make it a priority decision influence. Right now I'm wavering between Michigan and Vandy, with WUSTL kinda lurking in the back of my mind. Common sense seems to scream that Michigan w its superior reputation, LRAP, and job prospects is the obvious choice, but I feel like Vandy isn't much of a dropoff and has a better location in terms of school and job placement (in an area where I'd like to live and work.) WUSTL seems like a solid, cheaper option.

GPA 3.7 LSAT 169

Anyway, I'd really appreciate hearing some other opinions, thanks!

cron1834

Gold

Re: Mich vs Vandy vs WUSTL vs USC

Post by cron1834 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:14 am

Cornell or Northwestern in the mix?

thetruth7667

New

Post by thetruth7667 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:56 am

WL at Northwestern, in at Cornell w significantly less scholly than UM.

futago

Bronze

Post by futago » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:13 am

I'm not familiar with Michigan's reach in the South, but Vanderbilt has the best reach in the South of the others. Also keep in mind that outside the large cities (like Atlanta), the markets are pretty insular. I'd scratch USC if you are set on the South with the Midwest as a fallback (If you say USC in the South people will assume you mean Univ. of South Carolina). I don't see any reason to go to USC over Vandy or WUSTL if you want the South/Midwest unless you want to spend some time on the west coast.

Also, it seems to me that WUSTL should be cheaper than 85k with your numbers + money from parents.

Disclosure: WUSTL student

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:58 pm

thetruth7667 wrote:WL at Northwestern, in at Cornell w significantly less scholly than UM.
Bizarre outcomes, imo. You might want to at least consider retake/reapply... your options aren't horrible, but "significantly less" scholly at Cornell than Mich is weird. Did you try negotiating with Cornell? Also, one more LSAT point and ED-NU is an option next fall if you reapply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:02 pm

You should be able to negotiate a scholarship with Cornell by taking your Michigan amount to them. I had similar numbers and Cornell low-balled me too. It seems like a tactic they use for semi-splitter types

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:06 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:You should be able to negotiate a scholarship with Cornell by taking your Michigan amount to them. I had similar numbers and Cornell low-balled me too. It seems like a tactic they use for semi-splitter types
Yeah, OP is their 75th for LSAT... and if they're below GPA median, it's just by a teeny-tiny bit. I struggle to think Cornell doesn't value these #s.

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:14 pm

cron1834 wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:You should be able to negotiate a scholarship with Cornell by taking your Michigan amount to them. I had similar numbers and Cornell low-balled me too. It seems like a tactic they use for semi-splitter types
Yeah, OP is their 75th for LSAT... and if they're below GPA median, it's just by a teeny-tiny bit. I struggle to think Cornell doesn't value these #s.
I agree. But I've seen the opposite (LSAT at or slightly below median, GPA at or slightly above 75th) getting big schollys from them. That's why I think it may just be their approach.

Generally

Gold

Post by Generally » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:13 pm

cron1834 wrote:
lol I got dinged by Cornell and $120k from Mich. Law school admissions some times don't make sense it seems. I feel like Vandy could be a solid choice considering op's goals, but I guess it is a bit pricey if biglaw is out of the question. From what I understand Michigan has a good lrap, so if PI is a serious interest perhaps that could be a reason to choose Mich. I'd vote Mich.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”