Berkeley Dean Violates Sexual Harrassment Policy, Gets Docked 10% of His Pay Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Nagster5

Silver

Re: Berkeley Dean Violates Sexual Harrassment Policy, Gets Docked 10% of His Pay

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:53 pm

He admitted to sexually harassing employees, how is that not automatic termination?

TheProdigal

Silver

Re: Berkeley Dean Violates Sexual Harrassment Policy, Gets Docked 10% of His Pay

Post by TheProdigal » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Nagster5 wrote:He admitted to sexually harassing employees, how is that not automatic termination?
Because the school was concerned about his future career prospects if he were terminated.

Okay, I've said it a few times, and it still doesn't serve as justification.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:14 pm

TheProdigal wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:He admitted to sexually harassing employees, how is that not automatic termination?
Because the school was concerned about his future career prospects if he were terminated.

I mean, it's one thing to be accused, but this guy straight up admitted to harassing multiple subordinates. I'm thinking his career must be dead in the water as it is, but maybe I guess I'm wrong since he's not even going to be fired.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:

I mean, it's one thing to be accused, but this guy straight up admitted to harassing multiple subordinates. I'm thinking his career must be dead in the water as it is, but maybe I guess I'm wrong since he's not even going to be fired.
I'm guessing he will "quit" when they find a replacement. THey probably don't want to disturb the admissions process at the moment - this might scare 0Ls. Also Berkeley is experiencing a ton of financial issues at the moment with their budget, so this is just another thing they have to deal with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:58 pm

krads153 wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:

I'm guessing he will "quit" when they find a replacement. THey probably don't want to disturb the admissions process at the moment - this might scare 0Ls. Also Berkeley is experiencing a ton of financial issues at the moment with their budget, so this is just another thing they have to deal with.
He will be gone when the furor over this hits the school.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Come on now he was also forced to write a letter of apology.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:04 pm

I wish we could just deport Canadians instead of Muslims. They are ruining our country, and now our law schools.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:18 pm

Shameful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:35 pm

Nekrowizard wrote:I wish we could just deport Canadians instead of Muslims. They are ruining our country, and now our law schools.
Were not going anywhere...we will institute Canadian law throughout America until we created a unified North American caliphate. Praise be to the Queen and Justin Trudeau.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:

You underestimate just how high up in an ivory tower these law deans live. Anybody else would have been terminated on the spot.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:49 pm

Wow that was way worse than I was expecting... Bay area vibes
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:52 pm

So now what happens if this guy molests someone else? I hope the next plaintiff doesn't settle, they go to trial, and the jury opens the floodgates because the school refused to fire him.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:52 pm

JCougar wrote:
You underestimate just how high up in an ivory tower these law deans live. Anybody else would have been terminated on the spot.
That may be, but there's no way this dude survives the shitstorm that should be coming. Unless this dude is a killer fund-raiser or something, he's toast.

For those of you worried about Dean Terrific here, I'm sure he'll land some endowed professorship at a t-14 in a couple of years.

There's no dean out there more powerful than the Dean of the Stanford GSB, but even he was done in by a super lurid sex scandal. http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/201 ... ation.html

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:54 pm

Someone should start a thread on just law dean sex scandals. How many have there been just in the last 5 years or so?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:15 pm

Bear in mind these aren't just accusations in a civil complaint. He really does admit to it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yye6ia4nocgo8 ... 9.pdf?dl=0

The investigation report is jarring. He was a true fool for not requesting an attorney at least be present during the investigative interview. Really wonder what he was thinking. These are serious allegations and he cops to all of it but also tries to downplay it in a way that a C&F board would sniff out in a heartbeat. Rest assured that the alumni network is pretty universally pissed off and ashamed about this.

HmmmOkay

New

Post by HmmmOkay » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:11 pm

So correct me if I'm wrong, but initially they heard about it from her, and thought, they'd like to punish him but they didn't want to punish him TOO much because, well, they were concerned about his JOB PROSPECTS?! What the heck...are you serious...what about the fact that he admits to freaking sexual harassment? Are you concerned about THAT?! How does this even happen...am I being too harsh on Berkeley here? Does someone have a good (or even reasonable) defense for how this thing has been handled?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 pm

I'll just link to this right now because this may be news to some 0Ls and it's sort of incredible. Even though it's old news to a lot of current and former law students.

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/sex ... id=4307875

Larry Mitchell sez hi:

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:31 pm

I guess he's now going to step down as dean but keep his position on the faculty??

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_29616001/ ... t-response

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:42 pm

I'm curious what the pay cut scale is for sex crimes:

Harassment 10%
Groping 20%
Digital penetration 40%
Rape 70%
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:45 pm

I'd fire him just for fucking admitting this shit and subjecting the school to a ridiculous lawsuit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:03 am

jnwa wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:I wish we could just deport Canadians instead of Muslims. They are ruining our country, and now our law schools.
Were not going anywhere...we will institute Canadian law throughout America until we created a unified North American caliphate. Praise be to the Queen and Justin Trudeau.
You won't be talking so tough once we BUILD THE (northern) WALL and make you snowfuckers pay for it.

HmmmOkay

New

Post by HmmmOkay » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:57 pm

So it seems he resigned as dean, but Berkeley's really going to keep him on as faculty huh? Wow. What classes will he teach, Con Law perhaps?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 am

HmmmOkay wrote:So it seems he resigned as dean, but Berkeley's really going to keep him on as faculty huh? Wow. What classes will he teach, Con Law perhaps?
I think they're kidding themselves. It's impossible anyone would take his classes.

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:33 am

HmmmOkay wrote:So it seems he resigned as dean, but Berkeley's really going to keep him on as faculty huh? Wow. What classes will he teach, Con Law perhaps?
At ASW yesterday, they had a Q&A about this in the opening remarks and someone asked why he was still going to be in the faculty. They sighed and said "tenure".

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”